The Most Popular Hamster Cages Review Plus Buying Guide in This Year
The Most Popular Hamster Cages Review Plus Buying Guide in This Year – Hamsters are amongst the most popular pets worldwide, and as cute as they are, these furry little creatures can escape in a jiffy when not kept in a secure environment.
A cage is, therefore, a necessity seeing as it serves as their own little habitat. However, not just any cage would do; rather than some groggy prison-like setup, a homey setting that makes it even easier to take care of a furry little companion should be the endgame.
The cozier and healthier the cage is, the more comfortable and balanced your pet will be. Based on that, here are some of the best hamster caged currently on the market today found inside The Most Popular Hamster Cages Review Plus Buying Guide in This Year.
Kaytee My First Home Multi-Level Habitat
This next cage will practically serve as a mansion for your pet, with its deep base and multiple levels. Not only is the Kaytee My First Home Multi-Level Habitat convenient for furry little companions, but it is also perfect for their owners alike.
The base itself is as massive, so your pet has the option of running around there or simply climbing the steps to another level to see what it has to offer. With all the room available, your pet would hardly consider the thought of escaping. But in case they do, the chew proof latches are available to secure them.
Cleaning up pet cages can be a huge hassle, but it needs to be done. In order to make the whole process easier, this cage is fitted with a deep base which stops litter and bedding from spilling. It’s a win-win for all parties involved.
- It has multiple levels
- Fitted with a deep base
- It has chew proof locks and wires
- It is easy to assemble
- Brand: Kaytee
- Model: 100513101
- Weight: 16 pounds
- Ideal habitat for chinchillas, rats and exotic pets
- Multiple levels to climb and play
- Deep base to prevent messes
- Easy assembly for cleaning
- Chew proof locks and wires for added safety
- Extra narrow 1/2” wire spacing
- Cage dimensions: 30.5” x 18” x 30”
- It is incredibly easy to clean
- It has an ample amount of space
- The different levels are great for exercise
- The bars are not immune to animals that chew away
- The flimsiness of the plastic stairs
- Not suitable for tiny critters
Ferplast Favola Hamster Cage
Looking at the Ferplast Black Hamster Cage, you’d be perplexed as to what type of hamster house it is. It does resemble a wire cage because of its wire net upper floor, although its deep transparent bottom tray makes it a glass tank, too.
Furthermore, the Ferplast comes as a two-level system that effectively separates the play and feeding quarters from the burrowing and eliminating sections. Nevertheless, the system already comes with an exercise wheel, feeding and drinking stations, and a hideout for your pet.
- Double floor living space design
- Combination of sturdy and pet-safe wire mesh and durable clear plastic
- Full accessories included such as water bottle, feeding dish, exercise wheel, hideaway, and ramp
- Built-in connection cap for expansion purposes
- Brand: Ferplast
- Model: 57901470US1
- Weight: 6.28 pounds
- Hamster Cage Includes 2 Spacious Floors; First floor is a deep 4.75 height inches to promote playful borrowing w/ a Hamster friendly plastic ramp (no pinched toes) for easy access to the plastic top level where their food dish, water & hide away preside
- Fully equipped & modular designed hamster cage; Favola includes a food dish, water bottle, hide away, 5.5 inch exercise wheel & a connecting port for play tubes to connect to other hamster cages
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage: Top panel features an access door & entire wire portion & middle plastic section of the cage disconnects from the transparent base for easy cleaning access
- Large Living Space: Hamster cage measures 23.6 length x 14.4 width x 11.8 height inches, deep base measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 4.75H (approx. 340 square inch base), wire top mesh is 1/4 inch wide, exercise wheel is 5.5 inch diameter
- Comes complete with all the basic things that small pets need
- Deep transparent bottom tray for unrestricted visualization
- Great expansion capabilities with other hamster habitat systems
- Ease to clean and maintain
- Some instances of flimsy construction of the cage
- May only use the accompanying water bottle as the height of the wire cage roofing may not allow for any other bottle
- Only one opening located at the top of the cage; quite small, too
Kaytee CritterTrail Small Animal Habitat
If you’re looking for really fun hamster cages, Kaytee’s Critter Trail 2-Level Habitat is just perfect. It already comes with a variety of accessories in a tall yet highly portable design that combines a middle wire frame and a plastic top and bottom sections. The lid is colored to add a visual element to the system. This Critter Trail is designed specifically for smaller species of hamsters.
- 2-level living space design complete with ¼-inch bar spacing
- Fully removable petting area with lookout tower
- Easily secured side lock latches
- Expansion ports
- Integrated front access door
- Complete with food dish, exercise wheel, tunnels, and water bottle
- Brand: Kaytee
- Model: 100528624
- Weight: 2.9 pounds
- Includes a petting zone, food dish and water bottle
- Features a look-out tower, exterior exercise wheel and front access door
- Connects to other CritterTrail habitats with CritterTrail Fun-nel accessories to create expanded living space
- Narrow wire spacing ensures that your pet will remain safely and securely inside
- Ideal habitat for a hamster, gerbil, mouse or other small animal
- Cage Dimensions: 20″ x 11.5″ x 16″
- Bar Spacing: 1/4″
- Measures 16 x 1.5 x 16 inches
- Fully expandable using other CritterTrail systems
- Pet-safe and durable construction with kid-friendly, colorful design
- Comes complete with necessary pet accessories
- 2-level design offers plenty of room for play
- Petting zone for personal interaction
- May be too small for multiple small pets
- Doesn’t come with a hideout for pets
Prevue Hendryx Deluxe Hamster And Gerbil Cage
This hamster cage from Prevue Hendryx is amazingly beautiful and elegant as it features two home-inspired hideouts strategically placed on shelves accessed only by a ladder-like ramp. The wire frame construction is sturdy and durable while the bars are spaced safely to prevent hamsters from getting stuck in between. An exercise wheel already comes as standard.
- Simple, clean, human habitat-inspired design theme
- Two house-styled hideouts on separate top shelves with ladder access
- Comes with paddle wheel type exercise wheel
- Easy-snap, deep, plastic bottom tray
- 5/16-inch vertical wire spacing
- Brand: Prevue Hendryx
- Model: SP2060R
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
- A spacious and complete home for your hamster or gerbil
- Included platforms and houses provide place for your pet to play and hide
- Exercise wheel to maintain necessary activity levels
- Snap-off base cleans quickly and easily
- 22 1/2-Inch long, 12-inch wide, 12 1/2-inch high with 5/16-inch wire spacing
- Unique 2-house layout on elevated platforms
- Spacious 2-level living space
- Pet-safe access ramps
- Easily removable plastic bottom tray for ease of cleaning
- Wire cage can be easily cleaned
- Doesn’t come with other accessories like feeding and drinking accessories
- May have issues with structural soundness of the cage bars
Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage Amazon’s Choice
The White Ferplast Hamster Cage is slightly different from its black version since it already includes several tubes or tunnels for your pet to run through.
It also comes with the basic necessities like a hideout, an exercise wheel, a water bottle, and a food dish. The plastic bottom tray can be removed for easy cleaning while the wire frame provides exceptional ventilation.
- Combination opaque plastic base and wire mesh top
- Comes with half-length sleeping area
- Comes with clear fun tunnel, access ramp, feeding dish, exercise wheel, hideout, and water bottle
- Fully removable base with easy-open yet secure top hatch
- Brand: Ferplast
- Model: 57912411US1
- Weight: 6.2 pounds
- Interactive Hamster Cage | Laura hamster cage features fun tubes to promote playful & healthy hamster exploration of their habitat | Hamster cage measures 18.11L x 11.61W x 14.76H, wire mesh is 5.25L x .5W & plastic base is 3.25 deep – inches
- Great Starter Hamster Cage | Laura hamster cage includes 1 food dish, 1 water bottle, 1 hamster hide-out, 1 exercise wheel & play tubes, everything you need to get started!
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage | A deep 3.25″ plastic base contains bedding & can be removed to dump litter / etc. for routine cleaning, other plastic accessories & wire top can be cleaned with a mild, hamster-safe detergent
- Convenient Top & Front Door Access | Simply lift the top door to gain access to your hamster & the accessories for cleaning or food / water refills
- Spacious space for playing, running around, and resting
- Deep bottom tray for sufficiently thick bedding
- Durable construction with safe wire spacing
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Tube ports may be easily opened
- Not fully expandable
Kaytee My First Home Tank Topper Amazon’s Choice
Understand that the My First Home Tank is actually an expansion kit that requires an existing, repurposed aquarium or glass tank as its base, forming the first floor of this 2-story layout.
This Kaytee creation works with any 10-gallon aquarium and already includes ramps, shelves, feeding and drinking accessories, and a hideout.
- Ingenious wire mesh tank topper design
- Designed specifically for a 10-gallon aquarium or fish tank
- Stain-resistant plastic components and chew-proof, pet-safe wire
- With shelves, ramp, hideout, food dish, and water bottle
- Brand: Kaytee
- Model: 100079041
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Converts any 10-gallon tank into a multi-level high rise for small furry pets
- Includes Comfort Shelves, Safety Ramps, food dish, water bottle and Little Brick House hideout (Glass Tank Not Included)
- Made using chew-proof coated wire and stain-resistant plastic parts 20″ long, 10″ wide, 10″ high
- For hamsters, gerbils, mice, or other small furry pets
- Bar Spacing: 1/2″
- Secures easily onto the top of a 10-gallon aquarium
- Can be easily assembled without the need for special tools
- Whimsical hideout
- Stair-type ramp for greater pet safety
- Plenty of play area
- Doesn’t come with exercise wheel or play tunnels
- Limited only to a 10-gallon fish tank or aquarium
- Some pets may escape through the space between tank and topper
MidWest Arcade Hamster Cage Amazon’s Choice
For hamsters who enjoy multiple levels of living space and owners who love to watch all the fun in action, the MidWest Homes for Pets Hamster Cage is the best option out there. What’s even better is that you do not have to go out of your way to stock up this cage.
It comes fully stocked with an exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl, nesting nook as well as some interior play tubes. All your pet has to do is move in. For further convenience, this hamster cage is fitted with a plastic base that is perfect for litter, as well as a top door and detachable cover which makes cleaning a lot easier.
Even more, it offers a side port and connectors which are the right fit for standard play tubes. So, in the case that you want to connect any more fun accessories, it can happen quite easily.
- Comes with free accessories to get you started
- It has a deep base and a door located at the top
- The upper cover is detachable
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty
- Brand: MidWest Homes for Pets
- Model: 100-AR
- Weight: 6.1 pounds
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi-level play space to watch your hamster in action 18.11 length x 11.4 width x 21.5 height inches, 6.1 pounds
- Hamster Home includes free accessories to get you started. Exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl, nesting nook & interior play tubes
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster bedding, a convenient top door for easy access to your pet & a removable upper cover for easy cleaning
- Hamster Home is modular in design & includes connector pieces to fit standard play tubes if you want to connect to another hamster habitat
- It is incredibly easy to assemble (no tools needed)
- It arrives already stocked up with accessories
- It is sturdy
- The accompanying wheel is noisy
- It easily gets messy
- The bottom tray is too shallow
Prevue Pet Products Universal Small Animal Home
This Prevue Pet Products 528 Universal Small Animal Home offers a large tubby base that allows enough room for diverse movement as well as some extra space to stock up on some fun accessories.
Thanks to the accompanying platform, the whole set up appears a lot neater and gives enough room for food and snacks of all sorts to be eaten without causing a mess in the rest of the cage.
To crown it all up, this hamster cage offers a lightweight design which makes for all-around easy handling despite its size altogether.
- Can be used by a number of small animals
- Fitted with two large entry doors
- It is roomy
- Fitted with a large tubby base
- Brand: Prevue Pet Products
- Model: 528
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Tight 3/8” wire spacing. Large tubby base offers room for exercise and accessories
- Extra deep 6 1/4” tubby base
- 2 large entry doors – one on top and one on the side
- 32 ½’’ L x 19’’ W x 17 ½’’ H with 3/8’’ wire spacing
- It is easy to assemble
- Stellar bar spacing
- Provides an ample amount of space for your pet
- It is altogether not sturdy
- It is hard to clean
Habitrail Cristal Hamster Habitat
It’s a system that’s designed to be connected to other similar systems. That’s what the Cristal Hamster Habitat is for. Despite the fact that it’s a cheap hamster cage, it’s still made of highly durable materials with just the right number of accessories to keep your little hamster happy. The longitudinal section of the Cristal is designed with a wire frame to allow for adequate ventilation.
- Combination clear plastic and wire mesh design
- Lookout observation deck
- Chew-proof feeding dish, water bottle, and exercise wheel
- High litter guard
- Brand: Habitrail
- Model: 62820A1
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Durable, safe, and comfortable hamster house
- Hamster cage comes with hamster hideout to satisfy a hamster’s natural need to explore and hide
- Easy to clean and designed to provide excellent air circulation
- Allows easy connection to other Habitrail items, such as the Habitrail Hamster Tunnels, using our patented lock connectors (sold separately)
- Hamster habitat measures 16 L x 10 W x 9.5 H inches (40.64 x 25.4 x 24.13 centimeters)
- Safe, durable, and comfortable habitat for pets
- Can be easily connected to other Habitrail systems for expansion purposes
- Excellent ventilation for pets
- Easy to clean and maintain
- May be too small for multiple pets
- Some questions about the integrity of the plastic parts
Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation Amazon’s Choice
A great choice that hits our Top Picks for very good reason. This hamster cage requires no tools for assembly but offers plenty to pet parents and their hamsters. Firstly, the full width double doors help to make accessing your cage incredibly easy.
Customers love how quickly and easily they’re able to clean their new cage, without needing to take the top off of the cage. As well as this, the castor wheels make moving and changing the cage even easier – with the added benefit of being lockable when required.
The multi-story hamster cage offers plenty of room for your pets, while the storage shelf beneath provides somewhere to quickly access your supplies when you need to. The only real downsides to this option are the shallow floor trays, which can lead to a mess in the surrounding area.
There’s also been a few notes that the sides can be a little awkward to fit together. That being said, a good hearty bang with a rubber mallet seems to do the trick, here.
- Full width double doors
- Locking wheel castors
- Multiple levels
- Storage shelf
- Adjustable shelving
- Brand: MidWest Homes for Pets
- Model: 161
- Weight: 59 Pounds
- Includes one (1) pan, one (1) adjustable shelf, one (1) plastic ramp with cover & easily maneuverable stand with 4 locking wheel casters
- Full-width double doors on Critter Nation small animal cage and removeable shelf provide maximum accessibility for easy cleaning & feeding
- Critter nation’s wide expanse shelves & full width leakproof pans provide maximized play area & prevent dangerous falls
- Great for Rats, Chinchillas, Dagus, Ferrets, Tubing (Corners) 0.6 inches square & 1/2″ horizontal wire spacing allow pets to fulfill their instinct to climb & explore in a secure environment
- Dimensions: 36″ Length x 24″ Width x 39″ Height
- Wide doors provide easier access for handling and cleaning
- Wheels allow you to move the cage when necessary
- Lockable castors ensure the cage stays in place
- ½-inch horizontal wire spacing encourages climbing
- Shallow floor trays can lead to mess
- Assembly can be difficult
Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage Amazon’s Choice
Easily the best choice for those who have never had a hamster before and aren’t sure what they need, this choice comes with everything – and then some.
With the full range of accessories included as part of your purchase, you won’t be caught out without your necessities, when you choose this hamster cage. These include tunnels, water bottles, exercise wheels and more!
The cage itself is also a great choice for all breeds of hamster – from dwarf to Syrian. The large base, with deep flooring, provides ample room for your pets to explore, burrow and generally enjoy themselves.
Meanwhile, the slim gaps between the bars help to keep your hamsters exactly where you want them, while providing them with plenty of climbing space, to boot.
- Large base
- Carry handles
- Complete kit
- Brand: Savic
- Model: 71-5074-001
- Weight: 12.17 Pounds
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: the cage comes with lots of accessories including tunnels, exercise wheel, two houses, a penthouse, a water bottle and more.
- HUGE SIZE: The hamster heaven metro cage lets you build a heavenly home for you hamster. The cage measures 80cm x 50 cm x 50cm with 9.5mm bar spacing.
- LARGE BASE: The large lower area ensures your pet will have lost of frolicking and tunneling fun.
- EASY TO MOVE: the cage comes with two large handles so you can move the cage to any location. The large door gives you easy access to your hamster.
- The cage is proudly made in Belgium. Additional tubes are available to customize you hamster house.
- Ideal for kids, and first-time hamster owners
- Comes with the full range of accessories
- Small bar spacing is ideal for dwarf hamsters
- Large enough for Syrian hamsters
- Can be very noisy
- Assembly is a little fiddly due to additional parts
The Most Popular Hamster Cages Buying Plus Buying Guide in This Year
What to Look for When Buying a Hamster Cage:
Choosing the right hamster habitat is all about understanding certain requirements that are crucial for these critters’ wellbeing.
Just like any creature that is placed in an enclosure and away from their natural habitats, hamsters that are placed in inappropriate houses can develop a host of health and behavioral problems that can bring a lot of headaches for the young pet owner.
Here are some of the things to look for when buying a hamster cage.
Have you ever tried living in a very small, cramped space that you can hardly breathe or move about comfortably without bumping into anything?
You know how it feels. The same thing can be said of your poor hamster, especially the larger species. That’s why it is very important to look at the size of the habitat that you are considering.
For example, according to the National Hamster Council, if you own a Syrian hamster, each one must have no less than 150 square inches of floor space and vertical space of about 17.5 inches to move about, live in, and play in. Dwarf hamsters, on the other hand, are expected to have at least 120 square inches of floor space and a ceiling of about 7 inches from the surface of the bedding.
Additionally, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals strongly recommends the observance of the minimum requirements for cage dimensions which currently stands at 30 inches by 15 inches by 15 inches. This is to help ensure that hamsters and similar pets get plenty of room for them to live, play, thrive, and have exercise.
Wire versus Plastic:
Two of the most popular types of hamster cages are wire-tops and plastic tanks. Each one actually has its own pros and cons. As a matter of rule, wire-tops should always have a plastic bottom as wired bottoms are considered unsafe for the small feet of these critters.
Additionally, the width of the space in between the wires should never be more than half a centimeter as curious hamsters can easily poke their heads through space if the gaps were any bigger. Plastic cages are preferred today primarily because they are easier to clean and provide an unobstructed view of your pets.
Unfortunately, the surface walls don’t allow for climbing so you’d have to provide additional accessories for your pets to climb on.
As we have already mentioned above, size matters. And this especially pertains to the size of the living space including amenities for play, feeding, resting, eliminating, and even mating.
The point is that the hamster habitat should provide your pets with ample space in which they can actually realize their being. For instance, these pets are known for being highly active. Giving them exercise wheels, mazes, and tunnels to run through and over helps them feel more at peace with their new surroundings.
That’s why their living spaces should also be considered, often in conjunction with the overall size of the cage.
Hamsters are burrowing animals. They love to dig. That is why one of your major considerations is the depth of the lower tray of your prospective hamster cage. At the very minimum, you should be able to fill the bottom tray with at least 2 inches of hamster bedding.
The deeper it is the better. This is especially important if you’re going to choose a wire-top type of hamster habitat. This is because the depth or height of the bottom tray can help prevent or reduce the amount of bedding that your pets might kick or push out of the habitat.
Remember, there are spaces in between the wires which bedding materials can be pushed through.
Ease of Cleaning:
There’s one thing you have to keep in mind when choosing the right habitat for your hamsters. It should be easy to clean, otherwise, your entire room will be reeking of stink from your pet’s droppings, urine, and other body fluids and excrements that may have been passed out.
Understand that the more complex the cage setup is, the more challenging it is to clean. That’s why cages with very complex playhouses, tunnels, exercise wheels, and other accessories can be quite a chore to clean as you will have to remove each item to be individually cleaned.
As far as cages go, wire-tops with plastic bottom trays are super easy to clean. Glass tanks or aquariums are also very easy to clean. Unfortunately, they can be very heavy.
All living creatures require oxygen to live. And if you’re not able to deliver as much air as your pets need, they might suffocate, too. Wire cages are simply superb when it comes to ventilation as the only really “closed” section in the bottom tray is filled with bedding materials.
If you have to choose a plastic cage, make sure that there are “windows” or panels that have wire meshes to allow for ventilation. Sadly, even with such systems, the amount of air flowing to and through the cage may not be really sufficient for the optimum requirements of your pets. The same is true with glass tanks.
Safety and Security:
Because they are relatively small compared to other pets, hamsters are especially vulnerable to security and safety issues. They can get their body parts stuck in between wires or they can surreptitiously ‘unlock’ the latch to their gates or doors.
These creatures have a very uncanny ability for opening things as part of their instincts searching for food. Some hamsters are also known to be tenacious chewers. Some have been observed to be particularly fond of the bars on wire cages. So, it is important to understand the unique characteristics of the hamster species that you’re going to have for a pet.
If it belongs to a species that is well known for heavyweight chewing, a solid-walled habitat might be a lot better. Want a chew-proof home for your critter? A glass tank is a wise choice.
If you have to think of one particular accessory that your hamster simply has to have, then that would be an exercise wheel. These should not have any crossbars that can be quite dangerous if your pet’s feet inadvertently get caught while the wheel is spinning.
Experts recommend getting a wheel with a solid surface. It is also important that the wheel diameter should be slightly bigger than the body length of your pet.
How Much are Hamster Cages?
The new home of your furry pet should not really cost you a fortune, although it is not uncommon to see some pet owners who really treat their furry friends lavishly. The cost of hamster habitat is actually dependent on at least 5 major components.
Understand that each component can have a range of prices from the really cheap to the obnoxiously expensive. To give you an idea of how much hamster cages will cost you, consider the following.
- Cage – If you really want a cheap hamster cage, you may want to make one yourself. Technically, any large container like a cardboard box can be turned into an elegant DIY critter tank. Using readily available materials, you won’t be spending a dime. But if you need a ready-made pen for your pet, be ready to shell out as little as $10 to as much as $100. There are also good hamster cages that can run in hundreds of dollars, often depending on the type of material used and the size of the project.
- Bedding – Beddings are important parts of your critter habitat as this is where they will be spending most of their time resting or even nesting. Basic bedding kits can set you back for as low as $2 per pack. There are also so-called specialty beddings which can cost around $10 a pack. Do understand that beddings, unlike the cage, are not permanent. So, you can easily spend around $8 to $40 per month on beddings alone, given you’re going to replace them every week.
- Dish – To feed your pets, you’ll need a really durable dish or bow, something that they cannot chew or nibble on. Most would actually recommend getting a ceramic bowl as these are very sturdy and durable that critters won’t damage it. Expect to pay around $10 for a good quality ceramic bowl. But if you’re on a tight budget, you can get some cheap plastic. You should not spend more than $5 for a cheap-looking plastic bowl.
- Bottle – The last piece of the puzzle is your critters’ water bottle. These are actually preferred to water bowls as these are less messy and are definitely a lot more hygienic for your pet. You can expect to pay around $5 for a good quality water bottle for your pet, although, as we said, you can always go for some cheap plastic bowl. Just remember that it’s messier, meaning you may have to increase the frequency of your cleanups.
- Other accessories – If you’re going to make your own hamster house, be ready to improvise on their accessories like tubes, tunnels, hideaways, and the exercise wheel. Again, you can make these from readily available and recyclable resources and you wouldn’t spend anything except for the materials you’ll need to put these pieces together. On the other hand, if you are going to buy fun hamster cages, the accessories are already included. If it’s a bare tank, then be prepared to spend anywhere between $5 and $20 for these accessories. Or, you can get starter kits which you can build on your own.
Types of Hamster Cage:
Now that you know the things that you need to look for when choosing or buying the best hamster cage, it’s high time to look at the different types of hamster cages as these will form the foundation of your journey as a hamster owner.
These are easily recognizable by the wire structure of the habitat combined with a plastic bottom tray. These provide exceptional ventilation, are very easy to clean, and provides easy access to your pets.
Unfortunately, the bars can be chewed upon by your pet and the spaces in between bars can be excellent exit points for bedding materials pushed out by hamsters.
Plastic hamster cages are quite a joy to have. These often come pre-packaged with all the accessories that you can imagine to start on your journey of being a hamster owner.
These are fully expandable, meaning you can add other plastic hamster cage sets to make an entire ecosystem of habitats. And because you essentially have a solid wall of plastic, you can easily fill the bottom with as much bedding material as you want.
Sadly, ventilation is not really a great attribute of plastic tanks. The complexity of their tubes, tunnels, wheels, mini houses, and other accessories can make cleaning quite a challenge.
If a pet decides to hide in the middle of a long tube or tunnel, getting it out maybe perplexing as forcing the animal out can hurt it or scare it. Moreover, some tenacious chewers are known to destroy exposed plastic components.
Aquariums or Glass Tanks:
These can be repurposed aquariums or even especially-built glass tanks. They can be with or without lids, although if with a cover, it is usually made of a wire top extension. The beauty of the glass tank is that it secures your pets inside.
The transparent nature of glass also allows for greater visibility of what your critters are doing. It’s fully chew-proof and you can apply as deep a layer of bedding as you possibly can.
And if you happen to own a dwarf hamster, putting them in a glass tank allows for easy access. Unfortunately, this type of hamster cage is heavy.
How to Setup a Hamster Cage:
Once you have chosen the right and most appropriate home for your pet hamster, it’s time to set it up before you even start putting your pet.
Again, the key here is to choose the right tank or enclosure for the type of hamster that you have. If you already have the cage, here are the next set of steps you need to take on how to set up a hamster cage.
Choose a location for the hamster cage:
Hamsters need to be in a comfortable environment, preferably at room temperature. They are also particularly active at night, so putting the cage in the bedroom is not a good idea.
The most suitable place for hamsters is the living room. However, you should place them where they are not exposed to loud noises as they have an acute sense of hearing.
Prepare the bedding:
Spread bedding material on the floor of the hamster cage. Make sure that it is deep enough to encourage the burrowing instincts of these furry animals. Putting bedding that is at least 2 inches deep should help protect your pet’s feet while also allowing the smells and liquids to be absorbed more efficiently.
Add the accessories:
Once the bedding has been set, you can now start adding the extras or accessories like tunnels, play platforms, tubes, exercise wheels, food bowls or dishes, water bottles or bowls, and other stuff that you might want to include. Just remember not to crowd the house as your pet also needs plenty of space to freely roam around.
Best Hamster Cages FAQ:
Q: What do hamsters need in their cages?
A: Turning a cage into a home fit for your furry little friend is not a difficult feat. To make this happen, they will need bedding, such as wood shavings, to be placed at the bottom of the cage so they can burrow and hide as they please. They will also require a water bottle or dish, a food dish as well as a sleeping area. This would all be quite dull without the presence of some toys such as exercise wheels, tunnels, stairs, and ramps.
Q: Are wire cages bad for hamsters?
A: Wire cages have their pros and cons; when compared to tanks, they are not as safe and secure. Not only can pet’s gnaw their way out, but kids can also get their fingers stuck in between the bars. Nevertheless, they provide a nice and airy environment for pets to thrive in and are also better when it comes to attaching accessories and habitats.
Q: Which hamster cage is best for Syrian?
A: When it comes to Syrians, it is best to opt for a wire cage. Syrians require a lot of air to thrive and thanks to their tiny lungs, the expanse of a wire cage is the best option. Another feature to look out for is the flooring of the cage; it is best to opt for a wire cage with a plastic floor, to guard against their feet getting caught in the gaps.
Q: Should I cover my hamster cage at night?
A: If the aim is to give your pet hamster a comfortable and sound sleep at night, covering your hamster cage is not necessary at all. Hamsters are nocturnal beings and as such, darkness encourages them to stay awake.
Hamsters make excellent beginner’s pets, especially kids. Like all pets, they also deserve the right house for them to thrive and fulfill their being. Knowing what you need to look for when choosing the right hamster cage is crucial to caring for them the correct way.
With these best hamster cages we’ve prepared for you, we’re confident you’re on the right track towards becoming a great hamster owner.
Thanks for taking the time to read The Most Popular Hamster Cages Review Plus Buying Guide in This Year.