The Most Popular Grass Seed Review Guide For This Year
The Most Popular Grass Seed Review Guide For This Year – If you have dreams of enjoying the sight of a lush, beautifully maintained lawn that would instantly enhance the beauty of your home, then be prepared to give your yard some tender loving care.
In order to achieve this, there are so many factors to take into account including rainfall, soil erosion and filtration. However, before all of those, you need quality grass seed to start with. So what are the factors that you need to consider when it comes to choosing grass seed for your lawn?
First you need to base it on the amount of foot traffic your lawn is often subjected to as well as whether it is a new lawn or you are merely reseeding some bare spots. Another important consideration is to determine whether your lawn is consistently exposed to a lot of sunlight and if you prefer straight or mixed grass seed varieties.
The great news is there are turn grasses for both warm and cool seasons. To find out even more keep reading The Most Popular Grass Seed Review Guide For This Year.
Most Popular Grass Seed Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Dense Shade Mix Amazon’s Choice
The Dense Shade Mix lawn food has a special formula for growing turf grasses that are with high chelated iron and nitrogen. The package is designed to cover as much as 4,000 square feet.
Growing grass for lawns doesn’t have to require excessive maintenance and investment. There are certain types of grasses that are particularly formulated for busy people who are always on the go, with very little time to tend their own lawns. Dense Shade Mix allows you to enjoy the sight of lush greenies from the comfort of your own home.
Growing grasses doesn’t have to be a complicated affair and nor does not require someone to have a green thumb. With very little soil preparation, you can enhance the beauty of your home and improve your curb appeal all without spending a fortune.
- Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Mix Grass Seed is designed for sun and shade and grows with as little as 3 hours of sunlight
- Grass seed with fertilizer includes shade-tolerant, self-repairing, and medium bladed texture grass varieties ideal for seeding around or under dense trees
- Exclusive 4 in 1 WaterSmart PLUS Coating absorbs more water, feeds with essential nutrients and protects seedlings from disease
- Seeds up to to 1,750 sq. ft.
- Not for sale in LA
- Can last for several seasons without reapplication
- Works well with any granular fertilizer
- Easy to apply with great results
- Low maintenance
- Great quality lush grasses
Best Overall Grass Seed Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun & Shade
If your main concern is the rather limited water supply in your area, the Scott’s Turf Builder is a perfect choice for you. Designed for lawns that anticipate high foot traffic, this variety of grass seed is known to absorb twice as much water compared to the uncoated seed varieties. This one presents the ideal choice if you have kids or pets constantly afoot.
To plant, you only have to spread it thinly on bare areas and those that need to be rejuvenated. A 40-pound bag is capable of seeding up to an area of 4000 square feet. This one requires little maintenance, perfect for busy people who are always on the go.
- 3-in-1 solution for thin lawns, including seed, fertilizer and soil improver
- Seed to fill gaps in your current lawn
- Fertilizer for thicker, greener turf
- Soil improver for enhanced root development
- Get up to a 50% thicker lawn with just one easy application with a spreader (subject to proper care; results may vary based on the current condition of the lawn)
- Quick germination
- Great value for money
- Heat tolerant grass variety
- Fuss-free maintenance
- Long lasting grass
Best Budget Grass Seed Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Perennial Ryegrass Mix Amazon’s Choice
If you are planning to plant grass seed anytime soon, Scott’s Turf Builder is ideal for beginners and first-timers as it requires minimal fuss and maintenance. In fact, this type of grass is formulated to grow and thrive even with very minimal water required as it is resistant to drought.
Compared to uncoated grass varieties, this one has the ability to absorb twice as much water, making it ideal for areas with little rain and homeowners who don’t have time to water regularly. So if your lifestyle doesn’t exactly allow you to care for your lawn on a regular basis, this grass seed variety presents the perfect choice for you.
Scott’s Turf Builder grows highly resilient and durable Southern bred variety that is specifically designed to survive even under the unrelenting heat of the summer sun.
Aside from superior resiliency against intense heat, it is also capable of repelling insects and is also resistant to common grass diseases. A single package can see up to 1,750 square feet and results can be seen as early as 5 to 10 days after application.
- Designed for full sun and light shade, fine bladed texture & low drought resistance
- 4 in 1 WaterSmart PLUS Coating absorbs more water than uncoated seed, feeds with essential nutrients and helps protect seedlings from disease
- Includes Scotts best seed, helps protect seedlings against disease, keeps seed moist 2x longer than uncoated seed and feeds to jumpstart growth
- Ideal for quick growth, erosion control and high traffic areas
- Seeds up to 2,900 sq. ft
- Easy to apply and grows fast
- Holds up even with high foot traffic
- Tolerant even to droughts
- Great dark green color
The Most Popular Grass Seed Buyers Guide For This Year
A lush, well-cared for lawn does more for your home than just add curb appeal. A lawn that has been properly maintained can also absorb rainfall, reduce soil erosion, and provide filtration for ground water.
It can even help improve air quality by producing oxygen, and absorbing dust and other particles. Whether your goal is to grow a new lawn or improve an existing lawn that has been damaged due to disease or winter, grass seed can help you create a beautiful, green turf.
Before you buy grass seed, there are a few things you’ll need to consider:
- Is your lawn subject to high traffic, or medium to low traffic?
- How much time and money do you have available to invest in improving your lawn?
- How much sunlight does your lawn receive? Is the sunshine full, partial, or is there none at all?
- Is your goal to reseed bare spots, or plant a whole new lawn?
- Will you use a mix of grass seed varieties, or will you buy a single type?
Grass Seed Types, Grass Seed Selection, and Tips for Planting:
Grass seed is an easy and cost-effective way to start a new lawn and create exactly the type of landscaping look you want. The first thing you’ll need to do when planning your new lawn is decide what type of grass you wish to grow. There are many different varieties, so its important to select one that fits well not only with your climate, but the amount of sun and shade exposure as well. It’s also important to consider the maintenance requirements of the different grass types, so you can choose one that best fits your lifestyle and schedule.
Think about how much traffic your lawn is likely to be subjected to, and choose a grass seed specifically designed to withstand that level of impact. Below, you’ll find some information on the different types of grass and how to select the right grass seed.
Turf grass is generally divided into two main categories: cool season and warm season. Cool season grass originates in the North. It’s characterized by rapid spring and fall growth. The best time to plant this type of grass is in the late summer or early fall.
Cool season grass tends to turn brown in the hot temperatures of summer. Warm season grass originates from the South, and should be planted in late spring. Most warm season grass turns brown and goes dormant in cold temperatures.
Common cool season grasses:
- Kentucky Bluegrass
Common warm season grasses:
- St. Augustine
Grass Seed Selection:
When choosing a grass seed, check the label to see which grass seeds are included. Straight seed types consist of only one kind of grass seed. Blends and mixtures tend to offer a more uniform looking lawn with better resistance to disease.
Blends consist of several varieties of one type of grass seed, while mixtures are a combination of several different types. Avoid mixtures that don’t disclose what seed types are included, as they can be of poor quality.
Next, look at the germination percentage, which indicates the percentage of grass seed that will germinate in ideal growing conditions.
Avoid anything with a germination percentage under 75 percent. Some grass seed brands contain weeds. Only select brands that list less than 0.5 percent of common weeds, and no noxious weeds, which can harm your lawn. Timothy is okay, but allow only one crop, and it should be listed as less than 2 percent.
Be on the lookout for fillers as well; your chosen brand should have less than 2 percent dirt, chaff, or other filler material listed. Do not buy grass seed that is more than 10 months past its expiration date, as it could fail to germinate.
Deciding between warm and cool season grass will depend largely on where you live, but there are a few other factors that will need to be considered:
- How much and how frequently does the lawn need to be watered to be kept in a healthy, green condition?
- Do you prefer soft, fine, or coarse grass?
- Will the area be heavily used by children or pets?
- How much sun and shade does the area receive?
- It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different types of grass seed and where they work best.
Grass Seed Features:
Straight Seed – You’ll often find warm season grass seed types labeled as “straight seed”. These packages contain only one type of seed. Growing and maintenance tips are usually included on the back of the package.
Blended Seed Mixtures – Blended mixtures consist of different kinds of seeds within the same species, which capitalize on each others’ strengths. Because the grass seeds are all from the same species, this type of grass will give your lawn a uniform appearance.
Seed Mixtures – Grass seed mixtures contain several different types of grass seed in one package. Each grass seed has its individual strength and weaknesses, which offset those of the others. In doing this, this type of grass seed works effectively for keeping your lawn lush and green. Seed mixtures generally have disease and drought resistant properties.
Lawn Repair Mix – Lawn repair mix combines grass seed, mulch, and starter fertilizer in one package. Lawn repair mix is great for reseeding bare spots in your lawn. It also saves you time and money by preventing you from having to purchase fertilizer and seed separately. The mulch and fertilizer in lawn repair mixes are selected specifically for the particular type of seed contained in the package.
Grass Seed Planting Tips:
- Use a lawn spreader to sow seeds, or sow by hand in smaller areas
- Use garden fabric or straw to mulch the seeded area and retain moisture
- Water every day until germination occurs, then water more heavily but less often
There are many grass types to choose from, each with its different features, advantages, and drawbacks. By considering your needs, lifestyle, and maintenance requirements of each type, you’ll be able to choose the best grass seed and create the lush, green lawn you desire.
Thanks for taking the time to read The Most Popular Grass Seed Review Guide For This Year.