Best Truck Bed Cover Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Truck Bed Cover Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Protect Your Cargo With The Best Truck Bed Covers On The Market. You probably purchased a truck, in part, for the amount of space you get in the bed. Trucks are obviously more practical than cars for transporting large or bulky items. But one concern with an open truck bed is security. Suppose you don’t have the time to move all your stuff out of the truck, and you need to leave it somewhere overnight. You don’t want everything out in the open, right? For your peace of mind and the safety of your things, a truck bed cover is a great option.
A truck bed cover also gives you more enclosed storage space if you want to keep your gear clean and dry. The best truck bed covers will keep whatever you’re hauling out of the elements. We’ve rounded up some of the best truck bed covers to get you started and put them into our Best Truck Bed Cover Review Guide For 2022-2023 so keep reading to find out more.
Best Truck Bed Cover Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
What To Look For When Purchasing A Truck Bed Cover
When you are looking at truck bed covers, the word “tonneau” will come up. Tonneau refers to any soft or hard covering that protects the bed of a truck. Soft coverings are lighter weight and often easier to fold or roll-up. Hard coverings are more secure but tend to be a bit bulkier and are not as convenient to remove or store.
Primis Player Placeholder
Additionally, you will have the choice of a few different types of truck bed covers including soft-folding, hard-folding, and roll-up. In making your selection, a few things to think about include security and durability. Depending on your use case, you may want a secure, weather-proof hardcover that remains on your truck bed all the time. Or you might be fine with a lighter weight soft-folding cover that is easier to fold up or remove.
Whatever style truck bed cover you purchase, always make sure it fits your specific make and model of truck, and be sure to order the correct size to fit your truck beds.
Hard Folding Truck Bed Covers:
The appeal with hard folding covers is durability, sturdiness, and security. Hardcovers are secure and not easily ripped or torn. Another plus is that solid covers won’t make any kind of flapping noise. Hard folding covers are significantly more expensive than the other two types of covers — but if you’re looking for added security for your cargo, it might be worth the extra money. Hard folding covers still have a clean, sleek appearance, although some might be more raised or noticeable than other soft or roll-up covers.
Soft-Folding Truck Bed Covers:
The look of a soft-folding cover is very similar to a roll-up. It is usually sleek and low to the truck bed, giving it a sporty look. The cover will usually have a folding system, such as a tri-fold. One disadvantage of this type of cover is the tear-resistant material is not ideal for hauling sharp or bulky items. If you are on a budget, you can often get a high-quality soft-folding cover for a moderate price.
Roll-Up Truck Bed Covers:
Roll-up covers are similar to the soft-folding kind, with a rolling feature instead of a folding feature to access the truck bed. The roll-up function makes it easy to get in and out of the truck bed, and they are typically quick and easy to install.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why should I get a truck bed cover?
Truck bed covers are useful for weather protection and added security. With a cover, you can keep your cargo dry and clean. Truck bed covers also give you added security for any items you might want to leave in your truck bed.
Is a roll-up or tri-fold tonneau better?
It really depends on personal preference and what you are putting in the truck bed. Both types of truck bed covers are practical for security and weather-proofing. The main difference is the functionality and how you use your truck bed.
If you usually don’t need to open the truck bed cover all the way, then a tri-fold tonneau will likely work for you. However, if you normally carry larger, bulkier items in the bed and need access to the entire bed often, a roll-up could be the better option for you.
Is soft or hard tonneau cover better?
Again, it depends on personal preference and your use case. Soft covers are cheaper and more low-profile, giving the truck a sleeker look. Although most soft covers are made of tear-resistant material, there are some items that might rip through the covering.
Hard covers are known for their durability and security. Due to the materials that they are made out of, they are often more expensive. And, though they still have a sleek look, some might be a little more raised or noticeable on your truck bed.
How long do soft tonneau covers last?
Generally, most soft tonneau covers usually last around five years before the material starts to show signs of wear. This will vary, of course, based on how you use your truck bed and what type of conditions you drive in. The more wear and tear you put on your truck bed cover, the more quickly it will wear out. If you want a more durable option, consider a hard cover.
TruXedo TruXport Roll-up Cover
This rolling cover by TruXedo is an Amazon best-seller. According to reviews, users love the easy installation process because it requires no drilling or cutting, and you can easily install the cover in under 20 minutes. The leather grain black material is durable and intended to hold up well to harsh weather.
This cover is sleek, sitting only 1.5 inches above the bed, giving your truck a sporty look. You can easily roll the cover up and back, and it includes a sturdy, easy-to-use dual paddle latch for extra security. Some critical reviews mention that it doesn’t fit flawlessly, specifically along the tailgate.
- Fits 99-07 GMC Sierra & Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic 6’6″ Bed
- UNBELIEVABLY FUNCTIONAL: TruXport is designed to be exceptionally easy to use: Simply unlock the tailgate latches & roll up your cover. TruXport is engineered with a heavy-duty 1.5” frame, and equipped with high quality leather-embossed vinyl
- STAND GUARD AGAINST WEATHER: Keep your cargo dry and secure during all weather situations. Manually adjust the tarp tension to keep cover tight and water out. TruXport has support bows allowing it to handle several inches of snow when cover is closed
- NO DRILL INSTALLATION: Fully install this roll-up truck bed cover in under 30 minutes! Easily clamp the rails onto your truck bed, attach the cover, roll and go. No drilling or special tools necessary
- WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED: TruXport is backed by a 5-year, no hassle warranty. We are committed to providing you the best service at all times, if you need replacement parts simply call our team. All TruXedo products are proudly MADE IN THE USA
- UNBELIEVABLY FUNCTIONAL: TruXport was designed to be exceptionally easy to use; To open, simply unlock each tailgate latch & roll to the cab, securely buckle & hit the road. Added benefit to this roll-up truck bed cover, remove in seconds & without tools
- DISTINCTIVE GOOD LOOKS: This roll-up cover sits 1.5″ above the truck bed adding to the overall look of your vehicle; It is equipped with quality black leather fabric that is easy to clean and will not fade over time. Tight to the bed and will not flutter
- Easy to install
- Easy roll-up operation
- Dual paddle latch for extra security
- Might not be perfectly waterproof
- Does not seamlessly fit all truck beds
Lund Genesis Elite Roll-Up Cover
The Lund Genesis Elite cover is made of a premium twill weave material, which is why it is at a higher price point than other roll-up covers. This cover was engineered to be resistant to water, UV, dust, dirt, and mildew. It’s easy to wash and no specific cleaners are needed – just rinse it down with water.
The low-profile roll-up is tight to the bed and will give your truck a sleek look. It sits on sturdy aluminum rails, and the cover rolls up neatly against the cab. The installation process is quick and easy, with no drilling required, and can be done in about 20 minutes. This cover comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Fits 2014 – 2018 GMC Sierra & Chevrolet Silverado 6′ 5″ Bed
- PREMIUM MATTE CANVAS: Premium twill-weave textured material tops this soft roll-up truck bed cover and engineered to be resistant to water, mold, mildew, UV, dirt & dust. Simply, rinse with water and hit the road – no special cleaners required
- EASY BED ACCESS: Entry to your truck bed and gear has never been easier. This roll-up cover opens at just the driver’s side of your truck and rolls up neatly against cab in seconds, allowing access to every inch of your truck bed and your cargo
- LUND PROMISE: Extreme seals to keep bad weather out, hassle-free tension control to keep your cover tight to the bed, & low profile, good looks are what you can expect with any Lund truck bed cover; and is exactly what you’ll get with Genesis Elite Roll-Up
- INSTALL & GO: From box to truck in under 20 minutes! Sturdy aluminum rails mount quickly without drilling or special tools required. Best of all – this roll-up truck bed cover is USA-made and backed by a limited lifetime guarantee
- Easy roll-up
- Premium, high-quality fabric
- More expensive than other roll-ups
Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Hard Folding Cover
This hard folding cover is easy to install and comes fully assembled. The Solid Fold 2.0 is equipped with lightweight, automotive-grade polymer panels. Extang claims that this cover is dent and scratch-resistant, while also resisting UV rays, and can handle all types of cargo, from cinder blocks to groceries.
All you have to do to assemble this cover is tighten the two cab clamps, and unfold the cover and pull down on the EZ-Lock tailgate clamps to secure. The clamps can only be accessed by lowering the tailgate, so you can securely lock your truck bed when desired. The seal is weatherproof, with claims of being “the most water-resistant hard folding cover on the market.”
- Fits 2016-20 Toyota Tacoma 5′ Bed
- ULTRA-TOUGH PANELS: Solid Fold 2.0 is a hard folding truck bed cover armed with lightweight, automotive grade polymer panels. Dent and scratch resistant, and takes UV rays like a champ. From cinder blocks to groceries, these panels can handle it all.
- ARRIVES FULLY ASSEMBLED: The whole cover comes completely put together allowing for a quick and easy install. Tighten the two cab clamps to your truck bed, unfold the cover to the tailgate & pull down on the EZ-Lock tailgate clamps to lock in place.
- ENHANCED SECURITY: Not only does this hard folding truck bed cover have ultra-tough panels to protect your cargo and your truck, Solid Fold 2.0 is dedicated to keeping water out of your truck bed with its revolutionary watertight seals.
- EXTANG ENGINEERED: Engineering is at the heart of why we have the most complete offering of truck bed covers in North America. We are committed to bringing products to the market that will enhance the utility, convenience, and appearance of your truck.
- Good quality, tight seal for weatherproofing
- Durable and sturdy
- Easy install
- More expensive
BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover
The BakFlip G2 is a hard folding tonneau cover with solid panels in a tri-fold design. One of the main features that reviewers loved about this cover is that, since it comes with its own rails, it lays completely flush over your truck bed. The quality perimeter seal is durable, and you won’t have to compromise on your truck’s aesthetic with these flush-mounted panels. The panels are UV resistant and made out of aluminum, giving you extra security.
The installation process is simple and user friendly. With a clamp-on install instead of a drill installation, it’s easy even for new truck owners. And once you release the cables, the cover folds open, allowing you full truck bed access. And to fully secure your bed, all you have to do is lock the tailgate cover. Although the panels are flush over the bed, multiple reviewers on Amazon and Bak Industries have complained that they have had problems with water leaking through the cover, so this isn’t the most weather-proof design on the market.
- Fits 2019-20 New Body Style Dodge Ram 1500 5’7 inches Bed
- 100% BED ACCESS: The low-profile BAKFlip G2 hard folding cover allows you to drive with the cover fully closed, folded, or flipped up without covering the 3rd brake light
- ENHANCED SECURITY: This cover features durable aluminum panels and an automatic latching system, providing greater security over vinyl covers. The G2 is operational from either side of the truck bed with quick-release cables under the panels
- ENHANCED FUNCTIONALITY: The G2’s prop rods hold the cover upright while open and they securely stow away when the cover is partially or fully closed. The dual-action tailgate seal allows you to close the tailgate with the cover open or closed
- WE’VE GOT YOUR BAK: Make your purchase with confidence. The BAKFlip G2 tonneau cover is weight rated up to 300 lbs., is easy to install, and has a 3-year, hassle-free warranty. The G2 is proudly made in the USA with a US-based support team
- Easy installation
- Sits flush to the truck bed
- Simple open and close mechanism
- Possible water leakage
BakFlip MX4 Hard Folding Cover
BakFlip markets this cover as “America’s #1 selling hard folding cover,” and they might just be right. It is made of durable aluminum panels and a four-panel fold instead of the common tri-fold design.
It has a dual-action tailgate seal, and comes with finished corner caps, secure rail end caps, and prop rod clips. The cover has an integrated buckle system and automatic latching mechanism that allows you to drive with the cover partially or fully opened. For full bed access, you can unlock the cover from either side and fold the cover all the way up against the cab.
- Fits 2015-2018 Ford F-150 Short Bed (5’6″)
- This hard folding tonneau cover easily clamps on with no drilling and provides outstanding security against rain, snow, theft, dirt and sun
- Built with aircraft grade aluminum sandwich panels
- Relatively light, yet offers heavy duty durability
- Extremely durable
- Good quality
We hope you found our Best Truck Bed Cover Review Guide For 2022-2023 helpful.