Best Senior Dog Food Review Guide For 2022 – 2023
Best Senior Dog Food Review Guide For 2022 – 2023 – As dogs get older, you may find their current diet no longer suits them well, in which case, it could be time to switch to a senior dog food. As older dogs tend to put on weight more easily, senior dog foods are lower in calories than regular adult dog foods. They also have high fiber for a feeling of fullness and for digestive health, decent levels of protein and fat, and may contain additives such as glucosamine for joint health. We reviewed dozens of senior dog foods to identify the best of the best. And put the best in our Best Senior Dog Food Review Guide For 2022 – 2023.
Best Senior Dog Food Buyers Guide For Best Senior Dog Food Review Guide For 2022 – 2023
Who Should Buy Senior Dog Food
If you own a senior dog, you should at least consider buying a senior dog food. Of course, if your dog is thriving on her current food, a change is unnecessary, but if she’s starting to struggle or show significant signs of age, she might benefit from a specific senior formula.
The following signs might indicate that it’s time to switch your canine companion to a senior dog food: weight gain, joint pain or stiffness, lack of energy, loss of muscle mass, digestive troubles, or a dull coat. That said, these can be symptoms of other health issues, so if you notice a rapid change or are at all concerned, it’s worth taking your dog for a checkup at the vet’s office.
Important Features to Consider:
A senior dog food should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog food for your senior dog:
- Needs of senior dogs. When buying a senior dog food, it’s important to understand how the needs of senior dogs differ from those of younger adult dogs, so you can make sure your chosen food meets those needs. It’s common for senior dogs to lose some muscle mass, but you can help lessen or avoid this by choosing a food with a high-quality and easily digestible source of protein. Senior dogs often suffer from digestive issues, too, so a good source of fiber will help keep them regular. As older dogs are more likely to gain weight easily, they have lower calorie requirements. Senior dog foods tend to be less calorie dense so you can drop the number of calories your dog consumes without reducing the volume of food your dog eats so she won’t be left feeling hungry.
- Wet vs. dry. Senior food might be different in some ways, but you’ll still need to decide whether to feed wet food or dry kibble. Some older dogs thrive on wet food, since it has fewer filler ingredients, plus it’s easier for dogs with dental problems to chew. Kibble is the cheaper option, however, as wet food can cost a significant amount to feed alone, especially if you own a large dog. You can choose to mix wet and dry foods together to get the benefits of both, plus it’s possible to soak kibble to soften it if chewing becomes an issue.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin. A blend of glucosamine and chondroitin is often added to senior dog food to promote joint health. When taken together, these supplements can repair the worn cartilage in the joint and therefore genuinely decreases joint pain and improves mobility. Of course, not all senior dogs have joint issues, so you may not find these additions essential.
- Overall ingredient quality. It’s still important to look at the overall ingredient quality, even if a product ticks all the boxes for senior dog food. Avoid any foods that include artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. These aren’t necessary in dog food (since there are natural alternatives) and some artificial preservatives have far-reaching health implications. Look out for unnamed meats such as “meat meal” as opposed to “salmon meal” or “animal fat” as opposed to “chicken fat.” These unnamed ingredients could be more or less anything so should be avoided.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is senior dog food necessary?
This really depends on the individual dog. If your four-legged friend thrives on her standard adult dog food, there’s no reason to change just because she’s getting on in years. But, if she’s started to lack in energy, gain weight, and suffer from digestive issues, it may be time to switch to a senior dog food.
When should I start feeding my dog senior food?
As we said above, this depends on the individual, but if you’re wondering when your dog is officially classed as a senior, this varies by size. Small breeds are generally considered senior at around 10 to 12 years of age, medium breeds at around 8 to 9 years of age, and large breeds at around 6 to 7 years of age.
Can senior dogs eat dry food?
Yes, senior dogs absolutely can eat dry food if their teeth are still in good condition, but some senior dogs may have sore or missing teeth and find chewing hard kibble a struggle. In this case, you have two options: either switch to a fully wet food diet or soak the kibble in hot water for an hour or so before eating to soften it.
What should I do if my senior dog won’t eat?
As senior dogs get older, some can go off their food. This doesn’t mean that they’re knocking on death’s door but they may need some encouragement. Try switching to a wet food, as many dogs find this more palatable than dry. You can also buy extra-tasty dog food toppers to mix with their regular food. Some senior dogs prefer to eat little and often, so try offering three to four small meals a day, if your schedule allows it.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Dog Food
Anyone looking for an exceptional food for their senior dog should put Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Dog Food at the top of their list. It contains an ideal blend of protein and carbohydrates to give senior dogs the energy they need to stay lively well into their old age. What’s more, the added glucosamine and chondroitin support joint function and aids mobility, keeping senior dogs on the go. Deboned chicken is the first ingredient, providing the protein your senior dog needs to maintain muscle mass, which some dogs can start to lose as they age.
We love that this food contains a range of whole grains, including brown rice and oatmeal. While grain-free foods have been popular for some time, they can actually be detrimental to heart health in some cases. Whole grains promote heart health, thus keeping that all-important organ beating strongly. The Blue Buffalo exclusive “LifeSource Bits” are tasty moist chunks that contain a blend of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for general health and well-being. This food also contains a blend of healthful fruits and vegetables, including blueberries, cranberries, peas, and sweet potatoes. You can choose from three bag sizes: 6 lb, 15 lb, and 30 lb for between $17 and $50. Though you have to spend out more at once, you get the best value from the 30 lb bag.
- Real Meat First: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- For Senior Dogs: BLUE Life Protection Formula? senior dog food contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support joint health and overall mobility with essential proteins and carbohydrates to help maintain energy requirements for a healthy lifestyle.
- With Lifesource Bits?: This formula contains BLUE?s exclusive LifeSource Bits ? a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A Natural Dog Food: Formulated for the health and well-being of your dog, BLUE dry dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice. Meal Frequency – Small Breed- 1 Meal Per Day. Medium/Large Breed: 2 Meals Per Day.Caloric content: 3,424 kcal/kg, 357 kcal/cup
- Formulated for muscle and joint health
- Whole grain formula is beneficial to heart health
- The contained antioxidants can reduce damage from free radicals and may slow aging
- Works great for us!
- Great food for older dogs, but you may need to mix it with soft canned food!
- Changed over and in a couple of weeks he was eating better and he doesn’t run me out of the house …
- Great for my two old dogs.
Wag Chicken Pate Wet Dog Food
The smooth pate texture of Wag Chicken Pate Wet Dog Food is perfect for senior dogs with dental troubles who struggle with dry food or even with large chunks of wet food. Chicken is the first ingredient in this food, so you know your dog is getting a quality source of protein. It also contains nutrient-rich chicken liver and absolutely no grains and starches as filler. It’s also free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
We’ve focused on the chicken pate formula, but you can also buy beef and chicken pate, and turkey and chicken pate, plus a range of chunky stew formulas, which your dog may prefer if she can cope with chunky dog food. At $20 for 12 cans of 12.5 ounces, it’s reasonably priced for wet dog food, but it will still cost a lot to feed your canine companion this food alone unless you have a small breed dog who doesn’t eat much at each meal.
If you still need some enticement to try this food, you get 40% off your first subscribe and save order of either this specific dog food or any Wag products. Follow this link to see all your options.
- Chicken Is The #1 Ingredient
- No Added Corn, Wheat, Or Soy; No Added Artificial Color And Flavors, Or Chemical Preservatives
- Made In Canada With The Finest Ingredients From Around The World
- Serve By Itself Or Mixed In With Kibble; Comes In Pate Consistency
- Gradual Transitioning Is Important To Help Avoid Dietary Upsets. Please Allow 7-10 Days (10-14 Days For Sensitive Dogs) To Ease The Transition From Your Dog’s Current Food
- If you like Wellness Canned Dog Food, we invite you to try Wag Wet Dog Food
- Contains twelve 12.5oz cans of wet dog food with easy pull can tab
- No added corn, wheat, or soy, which is great for dogs with food intolerances or sensitive ingredients
- Made in Canada from quality ingredients sourced worldwide
- The smooth texture is excellent for seniors with dental issues
- Pickiest dogs ever Love this!
- I’m so pleased Amazon came out with Wag canned food.
- I have never given my dogs a food that they have literally lost their minds over like they do with Wag’s lamb recipe.
- Boxer approved.
Nature’s Recipe Senior Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
A quality senior dog food at a reasonable price, Nature’s Recipe Senior Dog Food includes a range of ingredients specifically designed to improve the health and well-being of senior dogs. Protein-rich lamb meal is the first ingredient and helps to maintain muscle mass, keeping your senior dog fit and mobile. The omega-3 fatty acids also help with mobility by supporting joint health. What’s more, the addition of beet pulp provides additional fiber to help the digestive system.
Though there are a few ingredients we could do without, such as poultry fat, all things considered, this is a wholesome food that suits most senior dogs well. The carbohydrates come from wholegrains, which help maintain a healthy heart, something that’s especially important in senior dogs as overall heart health can start to deteriorate. In terms of price, a 30 lb bag costs $32. Although you can find smaller, cheaper bags of food, this works out at around $0.07 per ounce, which is excellent value.
- Contains 1 – 30 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Lamb Meal is an excellent source of high quality protein that helps support optimal muscle strength
- Natural fiber from barley and oatmeal help support healthy digestion
- Natural dog food with added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- No added corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal, artificial colors or flavors
Food Key Features:
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Helps maintain muscle health, alertness, and metabolism in senior dogs
- Free from any animal by-products
- No more multiple HUGE stools. No more gas. Great food.
- this product has given me more time with my elderly dogs
- Great for my senior dogs I’m very impressed.
- a great find for Kidney issues!!!
Sojos Complete Natural Freeze-Dried Natural Raw & Dehydrated Grain-Free Dog Food
Although the jury’s out, some people believe dogs are meant to eat a diet of raw meat, but feeding raw can be messy and time-consuming to prepare. Sojos Freeze-Dried Raw Senior Dog Food, however, makes the whole process much simpler. Each bag contains a blend of freeze-dried raw meat and air-dried raw fruit and vegetables. Simply add water to re-hydrate it and your dog can enjoy a bowl of succulent raw food with very little effort on your part. This formula is meant for senior dogs containing glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health. Added omega fatty acids also help with joints, in addition to promoting skin and coat health.
This raw food can help senior dogs maintain a healthy weight, plus some owners find it really helps to boost energy levels in older dogs, too. It has many benefits, but it is expensive. A 7 lb bag costs $90, though it’s worth bearing in mind that it can make up to 35 lbs once re-hydrated. That said, it’s costly to feed to large dogs so some pet parents choose to mix it with kibble to cut the cost.
- Raw Dog Food For Seniors: Just add water, soak and serve; in minutes the shelf stable ingredients spring back to life with flavors and textures, featuring Glucosamine and Chondroitin, DHA/EPA, Omega Fatty Acids and more
- Natural and Raw: Our Complete recipes are made with no genetically engineered ingredients, soy, fillers, preservatives, or anything artificial; just a short, sweet list of nutritious ingredients
- Safe and Economical: Every pound of Sojos makes up to 5 pounds of fresh, raw food for a surprisingly budget friendly cost per serving; our gentle, proprietary freeze drying process makes raw meat safe without heat or chemicals
- Simple Preparation: Add water to Sojos and magic happens; in minutes the shelf stable ingredients spring back to life with the flavors, textures and abundant nutrition possible only with real, raw food
- Raw Made Easy: Our complete and balanced foods combine the easy prep and shelf stable convenience of kibble with the unsurpassed nutrition offered in real, raw food; the only thing missing is water
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
- Minimal ingredients, which is great for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA from wholesome non-GMO ingredients
- Re-hydrates in around 15 minutes
- Must be a healthy dog food – No GMO’s and very low count of recalls
- Best Raw Food diet = price & convenience
- Eliminated a number of issues for my GSD
- Love it – will continue using.
Merrick Lil’ Plates Small Breed Senior Dry Dog Food
Standard senior dog food doesn’t always suit small dogs, which is where Merrick Lil’ Plates Small Breed Senior Dry Dog Food comes into play. Small dogs have a higher energy need per lb of body weight than medium and large dogs do, which means they tend to thrive on a more calorie-dense food. Very small dogs, such as toy breeds, can also struggle with larger pieces of kibble, so small breed dog food has smaller pieces. This formula contains glucosamine and chondroitin to improve joint health, plus high protein levels to avoid loss of muscle mass, which is common in older dogs.
If your senior dog’s digestion is starting to get a bit sluggish, it will get a boost from the addition of prebiotics and probiotics. The formula is quite easy on the stomach in general, too, with sweet potato as the main source of carbohydrate and chicken as the main source of protein. You can buy this food in either 4 lb or 12 lb bags for $20 and $40, respectively.
- One (1) 12.0 lb Bag – Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain Free Small Breed Dry Dog Food Senior Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe
- Real deboned chicken is always the first ingredient in this grain free dry dog food
- Dry food for small breed senior dogs crafted with probiotics and prebiotic fiber for healthy digestion
- Dry dog food for small dogs made with leading levels of glucosamine and chondroitin aids in maintaining healthy hips and joints
- Omega 3 fatty acids help maintain a healthy coat and skin
- Added omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Enriched with antioxidants
- Made in the USA
- Dogs like the smaller kibble pieces & they’ve lost weight
- My dogs loved this food.
- The perfect dog food for your lil’ friend
- A Definite Winner with my Dogs!
We hope you found our Best Senior Dog Food Review Guide For 2022 – 2023 helpful.