Best Portable Ice Maker Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Portable Ice Maker Review Guide For 2022-2023 – A portable ice maker is exactly what it says it is: a machine that makes ice in a compact and lightweight form. Most are functionally similar, but there are differences in quality, efficiency, and design to consider before you buy one. Read on for all the info you need on the best portable ice makers to buy, so you can decide which is the right one for you. To see our picks keep reading our Best Portable Ice Maker Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Vremi VRM010636N – Best to Buy in 2022-2023
Specs-wise, the Vremi is a pretty standard portable ice maker. It produces 8-gram bullet-shaped ice cubes in 8-10 minutes and 26 lbs in a day, drawing from a 2.2L water reservoir. It’s able to store about 1.5 lbs of ice at a time. Many models can claim to make ice faster, but you will find that those produce lower quality ice.
Weighing about 21 pounds, with a footprint of 13.5 by 12 inches, the machine is fairly compact and light, but not the lightest option on our list. Like most others, it has a removable basket and an included BPA-free plastic ice scoop for easy, hassle-free ice retrieval.
The interface is simple to operate, with only an on/off button and warning lights for when the ice bucket is full or when the water is low. You can easily check the ice-making progress through the transparent viewing window.
Another couple of great features are the automatic shut-off function and an underside drain plug which makes it quick to drain remaining water. Thanks to this property, the machine itself can detect the ice level in the basket and automatically turn off when it’s full, removing the need to monitor it.
Remember that your portable ice maker is not a freezer. Since it doesn’t have a cold storage bin, it can make ice but can’t keep it frozen. Your ice cubes often melt if left in the basket after one to three minutes, depending on models. And when unused ice melts, the ice maker will recycle the water to make new batches of ice automatically.
With a thick layer of PU foam that insulates the heat very effectively, this ice maker can keep the ice cool longer than many conventional models. The only drawback is that while most portable ice makers can make from two to three sizes of ice, the Vremi VRM010636N offers only one ice size option. But we think many people will love the small ice size which is perfect for mixed beverages and small water bottle openings.
The Vremi is made of stainless steel and has received an ETL and FTA certification to guarantee its safety. Thus, you can trust that it’s safe and well designed.
- DESIGNED TO MAKE PERFECT ICE FAST – Our ice maker works quickly making 9 chewable delicious bullet-shaped ice-cubes in one cycle in just 8 to 10 minutes—and up to 26 lbs of ice in 24 hrs Each ice cube weighs 8 grams making it perfect for mixed drinks or small water bottle openings
- COMPACT, PORTABLE ICE MACHINE – Good things come in small packages. Measuring at 9. 5 x 12 x 13. 5 inches, this ice maker can go anywhere. Since it doesn’t need a water hookup, it’s an ideal choice for barbeques, outdoor parties, or basement bars. Get fresh ice in your ice adventures as this ice-maker comes with a 1. 5 lb removable ice bucket and a plastic scoop
- INTELLIGENT FEATURES – You do enough thinking let us help out Our ice maker prevents overflowing with warning lights and an automatic shut-off feature for when the ice basket is full or if water needs to be refilled It doesn’t need any complex installation either just set it upright and leave it for 24 hours to settle its coolant before use
- QUIET and ENERGY EFFICIENT – Electric ice maker is made to be chill it runs at a mellow and efficient 120 watts with a quiet cooling function Its 2 2-liter water reservoir sits below the ice basket letting your ice maker reuse water from melted ice to make new ice— giving you best-in-class ease-of-use and energy efficient
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR PRIORITY – Vremi offers a 1-year and free return or exchange within 30 days of order receipt. We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If you experience any issues, please contact us or any of our authorized sellers directly, and we will do everything we can to make things right!
- High-quality construction
- Highly efficient
- Compact and portable
- Quiet and energy efficient
- ETL and FTA certification
- Only one ice size setting
Frigidaire EFIC206 – Best Value Portable Ice Maker
If you’re on a budget and looking for a basic model of portable ice maker that works well, the Frigidaire EFIC206 has you covered.
For such an inexpensive model, the Frigidaire EFIC206 offers more than you would expect. It comes equipped with almost all the same specs and features as the Vermi, including the automatic standby and indicator lights.
In terms of performance, it works faster than the Vermi VRM010636N and is the fastest ice maker on our list, at under six minutes for small nine-cube batches. It also has the option of large cubes, though those take longer.
Compared with our top pick, the Frigidaire EFIC206 has a larger storage capacity. It can hold 2.65 lbs of ice and nearly a gallon of water at a time. That’s enough ice for 10-12 small drinks.
Despite this large capacity, this small portable ice maker is one of the lightest portable ice makers on our list, measuring about at 17.86 lbs. It’s also very compact and portable with a footprint of 15 by 14.5 inches. That may be because its body is mostly made of plastic, which is probably why it offers a 90-day warranty rather than the 1-2 years of some others. But if you don’t mind that, this model punches above its low price in every other category. It even includes a scoop!
Reviewers point out how quiet the EFIC206 is, and indeed its noise level is listed as less than 38 dB. They also like the large clear window that lets you view the progress of ice making without opening it, and have rated it as the best portable ice maker for camping. They do note that you’ll want to run the occasional cleaning cycle in addition to a wipe-down.
A note: while the EFIC206 seems to be a new product, it’s actually just the latest version of the Frigidaire ICE206, which has been a popular entry-level portable ice maker for a few years and was even recommended by the New York Times. The EFIC206 has replaced the ICE206, which is currently only available refurbished.
- LARGE SEE-THROUGH WINDOW ALLOWS FOR PROCESS MONITORING & ICE LEVEL CHECKING
- COMPRESSOR COOLING
- ICE IN LESS THAN 6 MINUTES
- 26LBS PER 24 HOURS, NOISE: LESS THAN 38 DB, POWER: 200W, ICE BASKET CAPACITY: 1.2 KGS
- CHOICE OF 2 ICE SIZES
- Low price
- Fast ice production
- Holds a lot of ice and water
- Quieter than most
- Plastic body
- Less insulated
- Shorter warranty
Euhomy IM-F – Best Efficient Portable Ice Maker
The Euhomy IM-F may look ordinary, but it stands out due to its ability to produce an exceptional 40 lbs of ice per day. Perhaps it’s able to do this because of some upgrade to the technology, as it’s quite a new model— first released in October 2019. According to our research, reviews so far are highly positive, praising its speed, ease of use, and stylish appearance.
The machine is made of stainless steel and includes an LCD screen along with all of the notable features that we’ve highlighted on the top pick (automatic shut-off function, see-through window, underside drain plug, and two ice size settings). The added value is that you can use the timer to produce ice for only a specific amount of time and it will notify you when it’s done.
The Euhomy IM-F works very efficiently, producing 24 small ice cubes in 12 minutes and large ones in 18 minutes. Its removable ice bucket carries 2.2 lbs of ice at a time, ensuring there’s always enough fresh ice on hand.
The water reservoir has a wide opening and is very easy to fill. Just remove its cover and pour water (you can use a cup or measuring jug) directly into the water reservoir while it’s still attached to the machine. In addition, it has a large storage capacity (2.2L), which is enough to produce at least 5 cycles of ice without the need for refilling.
The countertop ice maker also has a low-noise, high-speed exhaust fan which carries heat away from the coils, and it includes a BPA-free plastic ice scoop. It does all this despite operating at only 115 watts, which should save significantly on electricity.
- 【High-Quality Ice Cubes】Euhomy’s countertop ice maker machine can produces 24 ice cubes per cycle (every 12 to 18 minutes). That means you can make up to 40 pounds of ice cubes every 24 hours. Best of all, you can adjust the thickness of the ice cubes according to your needs, letting you create perfect drinks. 【Automatic Cleaning Function】- Press “TIMER” button for more than 5 seconds to enter the automatic cleaning function. (Please clean your ice machine regularly)
- 【LCD & Digital display】Electronic controls for ease of use. Features an easy-to-read push-button digital design for a comfortable use. Timer with up to 8-hour delay. Offers on-time ice production. When there is not enough water in the water tank, the indicator will light up, reminding you to add more water. Or when the ice bucket is full, the ice maker it will remind you to remove the extra ice cubes, so the ice maker can start to make more ice.
- 【Water Recycling System】 Counter ice maker machine holds up to 2.2 liters of water, minimizing how often you need to refill it. When filled, it can produce 5 cycles of ice cubes, making 120 ice cubes! It contains a recycling system, collecting melted water and filtering it to be reused ensuring that no water is wasted. It may sound high-tech, but all you have to do is open the cover of the water reservoir, pour in water, and you are ready to start making delicious ice cubes.
- 【Efficient & Quiet Cooling】Portable ice maker countertop top rated prime is equipped with the most advanced refrigeration technology. We use efficient compressors in order to ensure that your ice maker will produce the highest quality ice cubes. Also, this is not a noisy, heat producing appliance. Best ice makers countertop are equipped with a quick and quiet cooling system. This not only helps you save energy, but it also keeps nugget ice machine cool and ensures a quiet environment.
- 【User-friendly】Free standing design stainless steel portable ice maker allows versatile placement. Idea for you home, office, kitchen, bar or coffee shop. The removable ice basket stores up to 2.2 lbs. of ice at a time, ensuring that you have ice ready whenever you need it, and it comes with an ice scoop to facilitate ice removal. It’s easy to clean, use, control and transport. For best results, keep tabletop ice maker machine upright for at least 24 hours before first using it.
- Extremely efficient ice production
- A large storage capacity
- Stainless steel construction
- A timer
- Low-noise exhaust fan
- Quite heavy and bulky
Luma IM200SS – Best Clear Portable Ice Maker
All of the products on our list so far make rounded bullet ice, which is the natural result of producing ice on round prongs. That ice tends to come out a bit cloudy and melt faster than what you would get in a restaurant. However, it is possible to make restaurant-caliber clear ice cubes which look great and melt five times slower than others. If that’s something you would want, the Luma IM200SS is your machine.
Most ice made by conventional ice makers, whether portable or built-in, looks different from what you would get at a nice restaurant or bar. Its cloudy appearance is caused by impurities – air bubbles and minerals. The Luma IM200SS eliminates these by running the water over a filter, leaving only pure clean water. It then builds up the ice in layers and uses a nickel-plated grate to form these into a cube shape.
Despite the extra process, the device is just as fast as its bullet ice competitors, producing a batch of ice in 7 minutes, with a potential of up to 28 lbs of ice per day. It’s made of stainless steel but offers only one ice size option. It also has received safety certificates from Intertek UK, ETL, TUV Laboratories in Germany, and the US FDA. The only trade-offs are a slightly higher cost, and a bit noisier ice-making process.
The Luma IM200SS is a great choice if you run a small restaurant, cocktail bar, or cafe. It may even be worthwhile just to impress your friends and family with high quality, beautifully transparent ice.
- Have clear, restaurant quality ice that melts 5 times slower than cloudy ice
- Convenient, compact design is ideal for use in small kitchens and other compact spaces like RVs, boats and more; Refrigerant Type:R-134A
- Powerful compressor produces 28 pounds of ice a day so you never have to run to the store for a bag of ice again
- Simple, hassle-free ice dispenser requires no installation – just plug in, add water and wait up to 15 minutes to enjoy your first batch of fresh ice
- Cube shaped ice is created as frequently as every 15 minutes so you don’t have to wait long to chill your drink
- Clear, gourmet ice cubes
- High efficiency
- High quality build with many certifications
- Low water and full ice warning lights
- Quite Expensive
- A bit noisy
- Only one ice size
Igloo ICEB26 – Best Igloo Portable Ice Maker
Igloo is a famous brand for coolers which signifies quality, but few portable ice makers carry this brand name. Of those that do, the ICEB26 seems to be the top pick.
Igloo claims its ice maker can make nine cylinder-shaped ice cubes in under 7 minutes and is capable of putting out 26 lbs of ice per day, while operating at a low volume of only 38 decibels due to its high-quality compressor. It does all this despite operating at only 110 watts, which should save significantly on electricity.
Despite the small size, its easily removable ice basket can hold up to 2.2 pounds of ice at a time and the 2.2L water reservoir is large enough so that you won’t have to empty it as often.
The Igloo ICEB26’s plastic body is a winner though, with its smooth retro curves, large clear viewing lid, and LED-lit buttons. It just looks stylish, which is enhanced by several color options. The Igloo ICEB26 comes in white, black, red, aqua, and even stainless steel (albeit at a higher price tag). It’s completely reasonable not to spend a large sum of money on fancy ice makers when a little one like the Igloo ICEB26 can get the job done. It’s a nice blend of price and functionality, and it enjoys positive reviews among owners. So if you like the looks and brand name, this model is worth a shot.
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: Portable, convenient and compACt in size, this retro red ice maker looks good on a countertop while producing ice for whenever or wherever you need it
- Large ice making capACity: keep the water tank filled and this unit will produce 26 pounds of ice in a 24 hour period enough to keep drinks cold all day long
- Water tank capACity : 3 quarts
- Ice basket capACity: stores up to 2 pounds of ice at a time
- Quick freezing ice: makes 9 small or large cylinder shaped ice cubes in as little as 7 minutes
- Control panel: simple to understand and illuminated with led lights, the electronic control panel lets you know when you need to add water, when the ice basket is full and allows you to choose the size of the ice cubes
- Transparent lid : large clear lid allows for easy viewing of ice cube capacity
- Easy to use
- Trusted brand
- Stylish looks in various colors
- Costs more than some models with higher specs
Best Portable Ice Maker Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Tips on How to Use a Portable Ice Maker:
Portable ice makers are, by and large, extremely simple to operate. There are a few variables that can affect your results, however.
To begin the ice making process, pour fresh cool or room temperature water, not warm water, into the unit’s water reservoir. You can use tap or distilled water depending on your preference, but distilled water is likely to look and taste better.
Portable ice makers are usually insulated, but they’re not freezers. After your portable ice maker does its job, you’ll want to remove ice from the tray or it will just melt again and can form a block of ice in the basket. If you are using ice often enough that it doesn’t have a chance to melt, you may be fine just adding water occasionally. However, if you can’t use it right away you can place it in bags in a freezer or cooler. Here’s a basic set of reusable ice bags.
Most portable ice makers come with an ice scoop, which you should always use. You don’t want to put your bare hands in the ice maker – it’s not just uncomfortable, it’s unsanitary. These included scoops are generally plastic, however. If you happen to break yours (or it’s just not included), this stainless steel scoop would make a solid replacement.
If the ambient air temperature is too high, the portable ice maker may not be able to make ice quickly. Even when it does make ice from the start, the first few batches of ice are likely to be softer and melt faster than you would like. Once the coils get cold enough, these problems should go away.
Soft ice with more bubbles melts faster, and machines that produce it ice up more often. If that happens, you’ll just need to turn your portable ice maker off for a while.
The compressor is the most common reason a portable ice maker fails early on. After shipping, the gas refrigerant inside likely needs to settle. For this reason, it’s a good idea to let your ice maker sit upright for a day or two before you turn it on.
Cleaning a Portable Ice Maker:
You don’t want to ruin your ice with the presence of mold, so you’ll have to clean your portable ice maker occasionally. In general, this is a simple process. Some portable ice makers even have a designated self-cleaning cycle which doesn’t make ice. Usually this just runs water through the device, which you can then drain.
For those that don’t have this feature, running a normal cycle (or several) with a 10-1 solution of water and vinegar should do the trick (don’t use the ice this makes). In fact, even for those that self-clean, mixing in a bit of vinegar is a good way to ensure you don’t have any lingering buildup that can cause bad tastes and smells.
However, you will still want to clean the basket when it is clear of ice. A thorough wipe-down with a damp cloth or paper towel (vinegar is optional but advised) will do the trick. If your ice maker has an infrared sensor, you’ll want to wipe that off too to ensure it continues to read properly.
If you’re thinking about getting a portable ice maker, you probably already know why you need it. In truth, there isn’t a whole lot of variation between models, so you should feel free to select the model that best suits your taste
and budget. All of the models on this list are the best portable ice makers out there, which would be a great addition to your kitchen, office, camper, or anywhere else that you need a regular and convenient supply of ice.
Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Portable Ice Maker Review Guide For 2022-2023.