Best Portable Car Jump Starter Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Portable Car Jump Starter Review Guide For 2022-2023 – There are numerous jump starter models available on the market. They all offer different features to deliver roadside assistance and we’ve rounded up the best ones. Getting into your car and finding out the battery’s dead can really throw a wrench in your day. If you believe jumper cables are the only solution to that problem, think again. Portable jump starters will get your car going without needing another vehicle for a jump, making them a lot more convenient to use than jumper cables.
Becoming more popular in recent years, there is now a wide variety of portable jump starters available in the market. If you’ve been shopping for one, you’ve likely realized there are plenty of different features to look for. In this Best Portable Car Jump Starter Review Guide For 2022-2023 , we’ve rounded up the best portable jump starters money can buy so you can add this valuable tool to your car emergency kit.
Best Portable Car Jump Starter Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Why Buy a Jump Starter:
Jump-start your car without help. What happens when your car battery dies on the road? Normally, you need to find someone else with a working car and some jumper cables. A portable jump starter fulfills the role of the other car, so you can jump your own vehicle using something the size of an external hard drive.
Keep an emergency kit. Being prepared on the road is a must, especially for long road trips. In addition to normal survival supplies and automotive tools, a jump starter is a great part of any emergency kit.
Charge other devices. Since a portable jump starter is just a large battery with plenty of power for multiple jumps, you can use one to keep other devices powered as well. In fact, many jump starters have built-in USB ports to plug mobile devices right inside your car.
Get a multipurpose tool. Beyond charging car and mobile device batteries, many jump starters pack in other helpful features. To get more functionality out of a single tool, especially something you add to your emergency road kit, a jump starter is a smart consideration.
Types of Jump Starters:
For those times when you find your battery nearly or completely dead, a jump box starter is the best thing to keep around in lieu of some jumper cables and another car. What is basically just a sealed lithium-ion or lead-acid battery, a portable car jump starter is small enough to keep inside the car and powerful enough to jump a car battery several times before needing a recharge. Unfortunately, the internal battery of a portable charger will lose juice over time, meaning you’ll have to keep it charged periodically.
In the rare case, your car battery dies at home, a plug-in car battery jump starter can be the better investment. Hooking up to any standard power outlet, plug-in starters can provide a quick jump. More importantly, most plug-in options also offer a trickle charge, recharging the car battery slowly. The major downside is pretty straightforward: You can’t take it with you unless you’ve got a long extension cord lying around.
Top Brands of Jump Starters:
Tacklife offers a wide range of products with an aim on high-quality, low-price construction. As an international company, Tacklife specializes in lawn and garden/home appliance products that are compatible with different country standards. For jump starters, check out their T8 Starter if you want something compatible with gas and diesel engines.
One of the few companies that specialize in portable power, NOCO has been developing jump starters, solar panels, and other power devices since 1914. From humble beginnings in Cleveland, Ohio, the company has grown into a trusted name in power with sought after solutions like the NOCO Genius Boost Plus. Their ultra high-end Boost Pro GB150 is the preferred jump starter for many road warriors.
A common name in hand and power tools, Stanley offers plenty of automotive tools to stock your entire garage from scratch. Options like their Fatmax J7CS are great for keeping a home-based battery charger around for all of your vehicles.
Founded in 2015, ABOX is a company focused on new product innovation. As a result, their product lineup is diverse, ranging from LCD projectors/soundbars to automotive dashcams. Their jump starter, the TrekPow, is a small and versatile unit that delivers a whopping 1,500 amps of peak current.
Jump Starter Pricing:
- $50 and under: The budget range of jump starters. Here, it’s easy to find simple jump starters that lack extended features like LED flashlights and radios. Most starters in this range are suitable for smaller vehicles.
- $50-$150: A good range to consider if you want an average jump starter with some additional features/capabilities that still retains a compact size. More powerful starters for larger vehicles are common here.
- $150 and above: You will find high-end portable jump starters and most plug-in starters in this range. The larger, garage-based starters are common and typically come with plenty of extra features and accessories.
Reverse Polarity Protection:
To keep yourself safe while jumping a car, look for a jump starter with reverse polarity protection as a safety feature. Jumping a car battery can be dangerous since it involves large amounts of electricity. Connecting the cables, for example, can increase that danger factor if each clamp isn’t placed in the right spot. Reverse polarity protection will sound an alarm on the jump starter if something isn’t connected in the right spot.
Get the most out of a jump starter with different features. It’s not uncommon to find starter models with built-in LCD screens, LED lights, air compressors, electronic device chargers, radios, and more. There is a small tradeoff to having more features, however. Some extra capabilities can increase the size and decrease the portability of the unit. Therefore, consider what features you want vs. the portability you need out of the jump starter.
As a power source, jump starters advertise their power output in a few different ways. Cranking amps and cold cranking amps, however, are the most important. These represent the amount of power the jump starter can discharge in a short amount of time. This will tell you whether a jump starter can deliver the juice your battery needs to start the engine. Compared to cranking amps, the peak amps don’t give you much to compare different jump starters, especially which ones are compatible with your vehicle.
Since portability is an important factor with jump starters, size matters. Smaller lithium jump starters with a compact design are best for smaller cars where you can store one in the glove box. Most will work with any vehicle, but if you want a jump starter for a motorcycle or ATV, you will want the smallest possible.
Car batteries don’t take the surrounding environment and weather conditions into account when they die. As a result, it’s important to have a jump starter that is durable enough to survive in different conditions. Specifically, you should find a jump starter that can operate in a large temperature range. Colder temperatures, in particular, can challenge a starter’s ability to discharge enough power if it isn’t properly insulated. The starter should be able to survive a few hard falls as well.
Best for Large Vehicles: STANLEY Jump Starter (J5C09)
While it’s not as portable as the other jump starters we’ve look at so far on the list, the STANLEY Power Station Jump Starter offers 1000 peak, 500 instant amps along with a built-in 120 PSI air compressor. This is more of a heavy-duty jump starter geared towards truck owners with larger engines under the hood. What it does share in common with the other portable jump starters is that it features a USB output and as 12-volt DC outlet so you can charge other devices with it. There is also a built-in LED light that swivels 270 degrees, allowing you to adjust it accordingly.
It can also serve as an emergency air compressor with a brass-tipped SureFit nozzle for secure connections. For additional safety, this jumper has a reverse-polarity alarm that will alert the user if there’s an improper connection. It’s extremely easy to use—simply attach the clamps to the battery, turn on the switch, and start your vehicle.
Just keep in mind this is a larger jump starter, tipping the scale at nearly 18 pounds while measuring 11.2″ by 8″ by 13.5″.
- Delivers serious jump-starting power with 1000 peak amps and 500 instant starting amps
- Reverse polarity alarm alerts when there is an improper connection; Connect the clamps to the battery, turn on the switch and start your vehicle. All Metal Powder Coated Clamps
- Features a 120 PSI air compressor to help inflate tires with low pressure; High-powered LED light rotates 270 degrees to help you work in the dark
- Built-in 12V DC outlet and USB port provide portable power for electronic devices; Includes a limited 1 year manufacturer warranty
- Jump starter should be charged every 30 days when not in use; Charges using a standard household extension cord (sold separately)
- Multi-purpose and easy-to-use device
- bright LED light
- built-in USB port
- reverse polarity alarm
- can also be used as an air compressor
- Complaints about battery’s longevity
- unreliable compressor performance
Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry Jump Starter (JNC660)
Another more traditional portable jumper is the Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry Starter. Offering 425 cranking amps and 1,700 peak amps, this portable starter features PROFORMER battery technology, which is designed to provide extremely high power output, extended cranking power, and a long service life. Included with this charger are 46-inch, heavy-duty #2 AWG copper insulated cables with industrial grade Hot Jaw clamps.
While it’s not as modern as other jump starters on this list with no USB outlets, this product does have a 12-volt power output to power a variety of accessories. There is also a voltmeter on the front so you can check the status of the battery inside the starter.
This jump starter is ideal for vehicle owners who need something more durable. It’s housed in a heavy duty case that is impervious to shop fluids and is designed to withstand the rigors of everyday professional use. There is also a nice handle, making it easy to carry around.
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- 22Ah Clore PROFORMER Battery
- 46″ Heavy-Duty #2 AWG Cables
- Voltmeter provides charge status of onboard battery.The ideal storage environment is room temperature, or 68ºF
- DC outlet to power 12 volt accessories; DC input to recharge internal battery
- Built-in Automatic Charger
- One of the best-designed jump starters
- replaceable battery
- carrying handle
- Extremely limited warranty
- battery wears quickly with extensive use
Rugged Geek RG1000 INTELLIBOOST Portable Jump Starter
Updated for 2019 is Rugged Geek’s second-generation RG1000 portable jump starter. Capable of starting most vehicles with gasoline engines up to 7.0L in size and diesel engines up to 3.5L, this is a powerful 39Wh battery that can boost an average vehicle over 20 times on a single charge. It features INTELLIBOOST technology, which takes the risk and fear out of jump starting your car by ensuring power only flows when it’s safe.
The Rugged Geek RG1000 can also serve as a portable battery pack for your mobile devices with 2 USB ports and a variable output laptop charging port. Measuring 6.3″ long by 2.9″ and 1.3″ thick, the RG1000 tips the scales at under 1 pound, making it extremely lightweight and portable.
Other features on this portable charger include an LED flashlight with over 100 lumens of brightness, easy-to-read LCD display, and tire tread design. It’s available in three variants, one that includes a carrying case and another that includes a portable air compressor. The standard model includes a micro USB cable, INTELLIBOOST cables, soft carrying pouch, and an instruction manual.
- 1000 Amp portable jump starter battery pack will boost most cars and trucks up to 20x on a single charge! This Safety Plus version also includes a PORTABLE AIR COMPRESSOR to inflate your tires and fill up your toys.
- Our portable car battery jump starter 12V battery pack is designed to be safe with no risk of sparks or reverse connection. This is the perfect jump pack for those with little or no experience jump starting. Good for any 12V vehicle including cars, trucks, vans, SUV’s, boats, motorcycles, atv’s and more.
- Full, High Quality Metal Frame Clamps last longer, won’t crack in cold weather and provide a solid connection when connecting to your car, truck or SUV battery. Extended length cables ensure the clamps will reach your vehicles boost points.
- LED Display offers an accurate charge level indicator, charging status and high visibility even in bright sunlight. We’ve focused on the details, quality and user experience in building this battery jumper box.
- Additional features include dual USB charging ports to charge multiphone phones at one time, selectable voltage laptop charging port and a 3 mode ultra bright LED FLASHLIGHT. JUMP STARTER, USB POWER BANK, TIRE INFLATOR and FLASHLIGHT all in one convenient carrying case.
- 39Wh battery
- INTELLIBOOST technology
- includes LED flashlight
- LCD display
DEWALT Jump Starter (DXAEJ14)
You’ve likely heard of the brand DEWALT for its plethora of quality tools, so it’s little surprise the company also offers a portable jump starter. This product offers 700 instant starting amps and 1400 peak amps, along with a patented alternator check function. Integrated into this starter is a 120 PSI digital compressor with auto shutoff and a surefit nozzle.
There are also built-in USB ports to charge your portable devices, offering plenty of versatility. For safety, this product has an audible warning if the clamps are hooked up incorrectly to your car’s battery. Speaking of the clamps, they are heavy duty powdercoated clamps with 3′ of 4 AWG cables.
This charger works with a variety of batteries, including AGM, GEL, and WET 12-volt batteries.
- 1400 Peak Amp, 700 instant starting amps; Patented Alternator Check function
- 120 PSI Digital compressor with auto stop and and a surefit nozzle
- Built-in USB port provides portable power for electronic devices
- Charges using standard extension cord: Charger/extension cord not included
- Dual USB Charging Ports (up to 3.1A combined) charge up to 2 personal devices on the go
- fit type: Universal Fit
- Built-in 3.1A USB ports
- reverse polarity alarm
- alternator check function
- works on a variety of batteries
- easy to use
- charging capacity diminishes over time
Our Pick: NOCO Genius UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
This powerful lithium jump starter is rated at 4,000 amps and offers up to 80 jump starts on a single charge. Featuring spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection, this portable jump starter is safe and easy to use. A nice added feature of this jump starter is a 500-lumen built-in LED flashlight that boasts seven light modes: low, medium, high, flashing, strobe, and emergency SOS. This integrated light can run continuously for up to 6 hours.
Another reason why this is our Pick is that you can get use out of this portable jump starter on a daily basis. It’s capable of recharging all your USB devices and can also power 12-volt devices such as a tire compressor, inverters, and more.
With the amount of power it has to offer, this jump starter can be used on gasoline and diesel engines up to 10 liters and more. That includes cars, boats, trucks, diesel pickups, and even tractors.
Each package includes the portable jump starter, HD battery clamps, a USB charging cable, XGC male plug, XGC female plug, XGC cable, microfiber storage bag, and a 1-year limited warranty.
- Start Dead Batteries – Safely jump start a dead car battery in seconds with this compact, yet powerful, 4000-amp portable lithium car battery jump starter pack – up to 40 jump starts on a single charge – and rated for gasoline and diesel engines up to 10 liters.
- UltraSafe – Safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks. Safely connect to any 12-volt automotive car battery with our mistake-proof design featuring spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection.
- Multi-Function – It’s a car jump starter, portable power bank, LED flashlight, and 12-volt portable power. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and other USB devices. It’s easily rechargeable from any powered USB port in 6 hours at 2.1-amps. An integrated 500-lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, including emergency strobe and SOS. Plus, a 12-volt, 15-amp outport port for powering any 12VDC devices, like tire inflators, inverters and more.
- Advanced Design – Our most advanced portable car battery jump starter ever. Featuring high-discharge lithium technology for safe operation in any climate. A rugged and water-resistant enclosure rated at IP65. A rubberized over-molded casing to prevent scratching or marring of surfaces. Allows rapid charging in 2-hours via the vehicles auxiliary port. And an ultra-compact and lightweight design weighing just 7.5 pounds.
- In The Box – GB150 UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack, Heavy-Duty Battery Clamps, XGC Male and Female Connectors, XGC Cable, Micro USB Charging Cable, Microfiber Storage Bag, User Guide, 1-Year Warranty, and Designed in the USA.
- Offers up to 80 jump starts
- fantastic amperage and
- reliability for many vehicles
- built-in LED flashlight
- many auto professionals consider this the best portable jump starter
We hope our Best Portable Car Jump Starter Review Guide For 2022-2023 has been a help to you.