Best Hedge Trimmer Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Hedge Trimmer Review Guide For 2023-2024 – With the regular task of having to trim your trees and hedges, you’ll be putting in a lot of time and effort to get the job done, even more so, if you’re using shears. For those people who love to have a beautiful landscape, the hedge trimmer can help you maintain it by making a difference in your workflow.
How? Well! It reduces the amount of time that is spent on the trimming task without wearing you out needlessly. And this tool is essential for professional gardeners and home users who like to keep their lawn prim and proper.
But, finding the right unit can get overwhelming because the market is flooded with several options. Luckily, in this guide, we’ve compiled some of the best hedge trimmers to make it easier for you to select the right model. To find out more keep reading our Best Hedge Trimmer Review Guide For 2023-2024.
DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
If you’re one of those people, who generally put down the plan of trimming the hedges because of the hassle of handling long extension cords, then you should consider this unit. This model is the ideal combination of design and function, you can trust the durability of this battery-powered trimmer and its ability to help you through the simple mechanical operations.
We have been subjected to a lot of mishaps with the earlier hedge trimmers that we had at home. One of our gardeners suggested the DEWALT DCHT820B 20V Max, although this wasn’t the most innovative piece in the market, the simple operation is what made us opt for this unit.
It comes with a reliable and durable high output motor that helps to minimize the stress on our hands even when we use this tool for a long duration. Plus, this hedge trimmer offers 22-inch of hooked tooth blades that are designed for clean and fast cuts on the ¾-inch thick branches.
Besides that, it’s equipped with a 5Ah lithium battery that helps us get work done pretty quickly and efficiently, but, we had to purchase the battery separately for this hedge trimmer.
However, that’s a minimal drawback that can be easily overlooked when we consider its lightweight, ergonomic design and quality performance. Overall, we are satisfied with this purchase, and we have stopped shelving our plan to trim the hedges because this unit has made it relatively easier for us.
- Part of the 20V MAX system of tools
- Powerful high output motor. Cutting strokes/minimum: 2800 spm
- Cuts up to 3/4″ thick branches, 22″ laser cut
- Compact and lightweight design
- Bare tool item – Battery sold separately
- Battery & charger sold separately
- Compact with a lightweight design
- High capacity 5Ah lithium-ion battery
- Powerful high output motor
- Covered with a 3-year warranty
- Battery sold separately
Makita XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22′ Hedge Trimmer
Makita has been a leading manufacturer of power tools and electric motors for over 100 years, the quality of the products that are delivered by this brand is top-notch, with excellent features that deliver what it promises to the users. In this unit, you’ll love the 22-inch blade that offers you brilliant straight line cuts that help to simplify the job for you.
We ordered this unit mainly for its high efficiency. It’s an 18V hedge trimmer, which did seem like it’s relatively less powerful than the other trimmers with a higher voltage, but after having used it a couple of times now, we can say that the 22-inch blade with ¾-inch knives is much better than the other cordless models.
First off, when we were checking out the features of this model, 4400 SPM stroke rate did stand out because most of the hedge trimmers come within the range of 3000-3500 SPM. Plus, the dual-action blades team up well with the powerful motor to deliver a high cutting speed.
This hedge trimmers features three-speed modes – 2000, 3600, and 4400 SPM; it also differs based on the battery consumption. One thing that we love about this model is that it produces very little noise and vibration. Therefore we can use this hedge trimmer for an extended period of time without ending up with fatigue.
Moreover, the 5-position rotating handle makes it relatively simple for us to cut through different sizes and shapes of hedges. Overall, this cordless hedge trimmer is a great product, given its superior quality and advanced features.
- Equipped with Star protection Computer controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- Makita-built motor delivers 2, 700 SPM for fast cutting speed
- 22″ Dual action Double-Sided Shear blade provides precision cutting
- Anti-vibration structure is engineered with five cushions within the motor housing to help minimize vibration
- Battery capacity warning system turns on indicator light and automatically stops motor to notify user when it is time to recharge the Battery (Battery and charger sold separately)
- Lower noise level at only 87 dba) for improved user comfort (25% quieter than other cordless units)
- 5-position rotating handle
- Low vibration and noise
- Features three-speed settings
- 4400 SPM stroke rate
- Slightly more expensive compared to the other models
BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This hedge trimmer tops our list for its quality build and brilliant performance, it‘s equipped with an incredibly powerful 40V battery, which provides the right amount of power along with extended work time. For the best part, you can use this model for cutting branches that are up to ¾-inch thick.
The Black+Decker LHT2436 is hailed in our household because it helps to give the hedges an ornamental look, a pretty popular cordless hedge trimmer that can successfully take on a large volume of trimming work by just having to charge it well.
Since it’s a battery-powered cordless trimmer, we don’t need to worry about the fuel emissions disrupting the balance in the environment. This tool runs on 40-Volt, lithium batteries that provide a charge of up to five times more than the standard 36-Volt alternatives.
Moreover, when we first received this tool, we had to charge it for about eight hours, but following which it requires an hour to charge the batteries fully. We can easily understand the battery status in the battery panel that displays the charge with the push of a button.
And unlike the gas models, it doesn’t make any loud, disturbing sound when we are operating this tool. We are pretty impressed with its long run time because we can easily cut around 6000 square feet of hedges. It also has a decent weight of 6.9 pounds, and the dual-action blades can produce about 2,400 strokes per minute, making it perfect for giving the garden a fresh look.
- Powerful 40 volt lithium ion rechargeable battery delivers the power with long run time to complete the toughest jobs
- 24 inch dual action blade delivers less vibration than single action blades
- Shearing blade quickly cuts branches up to 3/4 inch thick. Uses ideal for trimming hedges, shrubs and bushes without extension cords
- Full wrap around front handle provides a comfortable gripping area in all cutting orientations
- Included components: LHT2436 Trimmer, LBXR36 40V max lithium ion battery, one hour charger; Power source: Lithium ion battery; Type: Hedge trimmer
- 24-inches dual-action blades
- Solid and comfortable grip
- Excellent battery life
- Recharges in 1-hour
- Power Drive transmission prevents the trimmer from stalling
- Some users have reported about the motor running out
Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22′ 3.5 Amp Electric Hedge Trimmer
If you’re looking for high-quality products at a reasonable price, you should consider taking a look at this unit from Sun Joe, manufactured by keeping the environment and economics at in mind to ensure that you are provided with the best features; the Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22 has a 3.5-amp motor and cutting capacity of about 0.63-inch.
We ordered this unit after receiving some good feedback from our friends who have been using this model for a few months; this corded hedge trimmer, has a maximum cord length of up to 100 ft.
Plus, the 22-inch blade is suitable for cutting through the thick branches; since this unit comes with a cutting power of 3.5-amp, it helps us complete the complex task within a few minutes.
However, the wrap-around handle makes things relatively safe for us because we get to keep our hands away from the blades. Overall, it’s a decent hedge trimmer for the price, it might not provide high power or speed, but at this price point it can get most mundane tasks done painlessly.
- Powerful 3.5 amp motor for superior cutting performance
- Pre-hardened, rust resistant 22″ stainless steel blades
- Full wrap-around front handle
- Light-weight: just 5 lbs
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
- Corded, 3.5-amp motor
- Lightweight product
- Includes a standard blade cover
- Doesn’t have a rotating handle
WORX WG255.1 20V PowerShare 20′ Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer
The versatile and innovative design of the Worx WG255.1 is designed to make it easier for you to maintain the hedges more quickly than ever before whilst being priced within a reasonable range.
When we received this product, we were pretty satisfied with its quality build and ergonomic design, with a 120 mph airspeed that makes it relatively easier to clear up the hedges on the sidewalks, patios, and driveways without having to deal with excess fatigue. The compact and lightweight design allows us to clean the hard-to-reach areas effortlessly.
Plus, it’s equipped with top-notch blades that don’t get blunt too quickly, and it measures about 20-inches, which gives an excellent smooth cut. The blade looks as though it can handle pretty thick branches, but we generally don’t take the risk and prefer to use it on the small-medium sized hedges, moreover, the ultra-lightweight design gives a comfortable trimming experience.
When it comes to the handle, it has been thoughtfully designed to ensure that the main handle and the D-grip at the front are covered with a soft material to give a secure grip. We also had the option to purchase the battery and charger kit separately that did help us stay within the budget, overall, it’s a great hedge trimmer, and it does live up to the hype that surrounds this product.
- Lightweight compact cordless design for true portability – goes anywhere!
- Dual-action cutting blades deliver fast clean cuts with less vibration
- D-grip front handle makes it easy to cut from the top or either side
- Overmold soft grip handle for better grip and less fatigue
- Ultra-lightweight, ergonomic design – approximately 6 pounds!
- Share batteries across all your 20V Power Share WORX tools so you never run out of power!
- D-grip soft handle makes it easier to continue with top/side cutting
- Dual-action blades produce less vibration
- Batteries from other Worx appliances can be used to power this unit
- Lightweight, compact design
- Take longer time to chop off thick hedges
BLACK+DECKER BEHT100 Hedge Trimmer
This unit by Black & Decker is perfect for landscapers and gardeners on a budget, it’s manufactured by one of the most well-known brands, and it consists of some exciting features that you’ll enjoy; if you’re struggling with heavy trimmers and there is a lot of plant growth to get through, then this unit makes for an ideal choice.
We found this trimmer to be one of the most value-added products online, known to provide excellent value for the money that we invest. It’s a corded trimmer, and for the electrical set-up, we have to purchase the extension cords separately, it also has a cord retention feature which helps to prevent accidental plugging.
This unit is suitable for trimming small bushes because it comes with a 16-inch dual-action blade, which is perfect for our lawn, to operate the trimmer, we need to use both our hands for holding the T-handle upfront and the handle at the back. One hand only can be used for trimming hedges that don’t require much accuracy.
Moreover, it’s an extremely lightweight product, which makes it relatively easier for us to work for long hours. All in all, this unit is ideal for smaller jobs, and it has been a great purchase considering its efficiency.
- 16 inch dual action hardened steel black for reduced vibration while trimming
- 3.0 amp motor for trimming branches Upto 5/8 inches and cutting strokes/ minute is approximately 3800 strokes/ minute
- Lightweight, compact design is easy to use with less fatigue
- Cord retention prevents accidental unplugging
- Built in T handle and full length trigger for control while cutting
- T-handle for control
- Weighs about 4.63-lbs
- Cord retention technology
- Not suitable for thick hedges
Greenworks 20-Inch 40V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
Greenworks is a common name when it comes to manufacturing top-notch gardening tools. If you’re looking for a hedge trimmer with an innovative design, look no further., this 40 volts trimmer is a like a cordless telescopic saw that offers a simple operation. It features a long pole or shaft, which allows you to increase the length of the hedge trimmer by almost 6.5 feet.
We were looking for a trimmer that is backed by research & technological development, and many users had suggested this unit by Greenworks. First thing first, this unit comes with an extendable pole that makes it pretty easy for us to cut through the tall overgrown shrubs and hedges, it can extend to a maximum of 6.5-feet, which eliminates the need for a ladder to get to the hard-to-reach areas.
Plus, it comes with a 20-inch dual-action blade that delivers optimal performance and maneuverability, the cutting capacity is about ⅝-inches, which is sufficient for trimming the average size hedges in our backyard. We can adjust the trimmer head to 8 cutting positions that are suitable for cutting the hedges in different angles and positions.
When it comes to the battery, it doesn’t take long to get fully charged, and it can hold up correctly even if we use it for long durations. However, it has a run time of about 30 minutes, and it’s pretty heavy, which gets tiring if we are trimming a hedgerow.
All in all, the Greenworks 2272 telescopic hedge trimmer is a value-added product considering the extendable shaft that gives the convenience of reaching the top of the hedges.
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard system–includes 2AH Battery and Charger
- 20-inch steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- Shaft extension: 6.5 feet. 5/8-Inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy trimming of most bushes and hedges without the need of multiple tools
- 3 position pivoting head adjusts blade with extended reach handle for trimming at multiple angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
- Battery charges quickly
- 6.5 feet extendable pole
- Dual-action blades
- Cordless 40-volt battery
- Heavier than the other units
Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable 2-in-1 Shrub Shear and Hedge Trimmer
This unique trimmer combo by Earthwise stands out for its impeccable design and features. It comes with the smallest blades out of all the products that we have reviewed on this list. The blades reach out at 6.3-inches, making it perfect for trimming small bushes and edges.
The hedge trimmer and the shrub shear are a perfect combo for our gardening purposes. Even though the blades are about 6.3-inches, it can be used to give an ornamental look to the hedges. With versatility being one of the highlight features of this tool.
It comes with a grass shear blade fitting, which is approximately 3-inch, and we generally use it to cut through the grass edges. And the molded mounting plates make it relatively easier to change the blades. A 3.6V lithium battery powers this unit, and if it’s fully charged, we can expect an average runtime of 45 minutes.
Plus, there is a built-in charging unit along with an LED light that indicates the battery status. We have been using this unit for three months now, and we are satisfied with the lightweight design, which makes it convenient to work for long hours.
- Cordless garden trimmer with a 6.3″ hedge trimmer and 3″ grass shear blades
- Small hedge trimmer with 5/16″ maximum cutting width
- Small grass trimmer with mounting plates for easy blade change
- Earthwise grass trimmer with easy blade changing that does not require tools
- Includes 3.6V rechargeable lithium-ion battery & built-in charging unit
- 6.3″ hedge trimmer and 3″ grass shear blades
- 5/16″ maximum hedge trimmer cutting width
- Molded mounting plates for quick blade changes
- Tool-less blade changing
- 3.6V rechargeable lithium ion battery & built-in charging unit
- Portable and ultra-lightweight
- Ideal for trimming small bushes
- High efficiency
- Not suitable for trimming medium or large-sized bushes
Makita XHU04Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 25-1/2′ Hedge Trimmer
Makita is a famous manufacturing company, known for its range of highly efficient tools, if you’re looking for a power-packed unit, then this cordless hedge trimmer unit will be your new favorite gardening equipment. It comes with 18V LXT batteries that work in 1800 SPM to ensure that it delivers a quality performance, let’s take a closer look at some of its exciting features.
The quality of this product is what makes this unit stand out because it helps to showcase its durability. It doesn’t have any carbon emission, and it’s environment-friendly that ensures smooth operation even with minimum maintenance. Plus, it comes with a reliable and robust motor that has a speed of about 180 SPM, which usually takes a lot of time to cut through the large hedges.
But, we try to get the trimming done very often; in that way, we don’t face any issues with the speed or power of this product. We find it peaceful even if we have to use the hedge trimmer for a long duration because of its lightweight design and low sound level.
Moreover, the manufacturers claim that this unit produces about 30% less sound compared to the other models. The sharp blades of this unit give out a neat performance because of its sharpened surface that makes it relatively easy to cut through the large bushes.
And the blades are about 25-½-inches long, which is why we can trust the efficiency of this unit for trimming different size hedges. Nonetheless, it’s a good investment that we have made, and our lawn looks better than before with perfectly trimmed plants.
- Makita-built motor delivers 1,800 SPM for fast cutting
- 25-1/2″ blade provides increased cutting capacity
- 6 speed dial (0 – 1,800 SPM) allows the user to match the speed to the application
- Lower noise level at only 86.5 dB(A); up to 30% quieter than gas
- Weighs only 13.3 lbs. with (2) 18V batteries (batteries not included) for reduced operator fatigue
- Quiet and smooth operation
- Ergonomic handle design
- Rotating handle
Functions slowly, so it takes up a lot of time to get the work done
Weed Eater WE20VH 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Powered
If you’re looking for an affordable hedge trimmer that delivers quality performance, then you should check out this unit, it’s an adaptable, discharge free, lightweight product, and it comes with a 20-volt rechargeable battery, which is one of the highlight features of this unit. The 20-inch dual-action blade is perfect for trimming the large hedgerows.
The Weed Eater has a fuss-free mechanism with a powerful battery that helps it perform brilliantly and it comes with a robust 20-volt lithium battery that gives a lot of power for the unit to function nonstop for about 30 minutes.
Moreover, the runtime is pretty sufficient for a single trimming session. The 20-inch dual-action steel blades also help us to get the trimming done pretty quickly without breaking a sweat, it has about ⅝-inch cutting capacity along with a 2400 SPM, which allows it to cut through the thick bushes quite easily.
Plus, when we use the hedge trimmer for 30-minutes continuously, we don’t face any difficulties. The unique wrap-around handle gives a comfortable grip that gives less fatigue to the hands. What makes it relatively simple is the cordless design that eliminates the hassle of managing extension cords, thus, it makes for an ideal choice for trimming the hedges in our small lawn.
- 20-Volt Lithium-ion battery gives you plenty of power to trim hedges with ease and up to 30 minutes of run time
- 20-inch Dual Action stainless steel blade allows for fast and easy cutting
- With a 5/8-Inch cutting capacity, 2400 SPM (Cut Strokes per Minute) you’ll get through all your bushes and hedges with greater performance
- The full wrap-around handle provides a comfortable gripping area in various cutting orientations
- The cordless hedge trimmer delivers more power without the limitations of extension cords
- Affordable price tag
- 20-inch dual-action steel blades
- 20-volt lithium battery
- 30-minutes run time might not be enough for trimming a large yard
BLACK+DECKER 60V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer, 24-Inch (LHT360CFF)
The Black & Decker hedge trimmer is lightweight and pretty easy to handle, made from quality materials it comes with a dual-action 24-inch blade. For optimum performance, you need to slightly nudge the buttons that help to eliminate all the jams, as you continue to trim your lawn, you’ll not fail to notice the efficiency with which the work gets done when using this unit.
After having used a variety of hedge trimmers, we wanted to invest in a new model that would be easier to use and control. The Black & Decker LHT360CFF is very powerful and provides around 60 volts that work to emit jams efficiently whilst ensuring a smooth operation; with the slight press of a button, we can start using this tool.
For the best part, it can cut branches that are around one and a half inches thick, which is about twice the thickness of the other trimmers in this list, and, it features a Power Cut mechanism that helps to deliver an extra boost of power for cutting through the thick hedgerow.
It’s also powered by a 60V lithium battery that gets charged pretty quickly, and we can use it for about 4 hours without having to charge it in between. Most of the time, we get tired before we need to charge the device.
Plus, it has a lightweight design that doesn’t hinder movement and the soft grip helps to enhance maneuverability, making it one of the best hedge trimmers that we have used to date.
- Includes full manufacturer warranty
- Incredibly powerful hedge trimmer
- Cuts branches that are 1 ½- inches thick
- 60V battery gives a runtime of up to 4hours
- Power Cut feature & ergonomic design
- It doesn’t come with a blade cover, so you need to store it carefully
Best Hedge Trimmer Buyers Guide For 2023-2024
Here’s a list of the factors that you need to consider before purchasing a hedge trimmer:
The power that is delivered by a product varies from one model to another. And the source of power determines the power strength. For instance, the gas hedge trimmers can bring a higher level of power to your hedge trimming when compared to the electric models.
But the electrical trimmers come with various power levels that can be controlled by using the voltage trimmer. You should first check whether the power level can meet your requirements correctly. Or else it will be useless to opt for a model that delivers power at a rate that is too high or too low.
Hedge trimmers are available in a range of blade lengths. The longer blades make it easier for you to trim the hedges more evenly. But you should opt for them only if you’re working in a large open area or it might get challenging to manage.
For most average-sized hedges, an 18-inch blade will help to get the work done. And if the hedges are larger than usual, you can opt for the 20-inch blades, if you have enough space to use it correctly. However, if you’re new at hedge trimming, it’s advisable to start with the smaller blades because it’s safer than the lengthy ones.
This is another essential factor that you need to consider because the weight of the hedge trimmer has a massive impact on the ease of its use. Even though the heavy hedge trimmers are powerful, it can wear you out pretty quickly, and it doesn’t have the convenience of portability. But the lighter models are safer and easier to use, especially if it’s your first hedge trimmer.
The types of blades:
When it comes to the design of blades, you’ll find that it differs mainly based on two factors – whether the blades are double-sided or single and the distance between the blade teeth. The single-sided blades are a safer option, whereas the double-sided ones help you complete the task faster.
If you check the distance between the blade teeth, you’ll be able to determine the effectiveness of the unit in cutting through different types of branches. Most home users generally prefer smaller blade gaps that can be in the range of ⅜ to ¾ inches. But professional hedge trimmers opt for units that come with a blade gap of about an inch or more.
The two main things that determine the cost of the hedge trimmer are power and convenience. You’ll also find a lot of differences in the price range between the corded and cordless trimmers. Nonetheless, the most affordable trimmers are corded, lightweight models that are suitable for simple jobs.
But the price range differs as it depends on the ease of use and portability. Plus, if you’re opting for a unit that features a high-powered battery, fast charging time, and longer blade, you’ll be paying a higher premium to get the work done by putting in less effort and time.
The electric hedge trimmers are the quietest options when compared to the gas models. If you don’t want to disturb your neighbors with loud noise or even end up with a headache after your trimming task, the electric models make for an ideal choice. You should read the customer reviews and the product description to have an idea about the decibel level.
When you’re selecting a hedge trimmer, the best bet will be a unit that can withstand the onslaughts of regular use. You should look out for renowned brands that will provide you with a reasonable warranty period.
One of the best ways to find out about the quality of a unit is to go through the customer reviews that can give you a glimpse of its usage and durability. But at the end of the day, you need to maintain it well to ensure that you can count on the product to last for years to come.
Now that we have come to the end of our guide, we hope it has helped you find a unit that suits your needs. You can go over the options once again, to weigh out the pros and cons carefully to get the hedge trimmer that goes well with the type of work that you’ll be doing. It’s essential to select a unit that is easy to use, and it should be equally safe. Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Hedge Trimmer Review Guide For 2023-2024.