Best Evaporative Air Coolers Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Evaporative Air Coolers Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Evaporative cooler is the affordable alternative to air conditioner, especially in dry and semi-arid areas (with less than 40% humidity levels).
They use evaporation method to decrease the temperature by up to 15 degrees. When compared to air conditioners, they consume less power. And moreover, they can be used both indoors and outdoors.
To find out even more keep reading my Best Evaporative Air Coolers Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler
Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative CoolerHessaire has a great brand reputation out there and is well-known for producing excellently engineered evaporative coolers at highly affordable prices.
Speaking about the MC37M model that we have here, it has a decent airflow of 3,100 cubic feet per minute. That said, the MC37M air cooler is quite good to use in larger rooms, as its effective cooling area is mentioned to be 950sq.ft. on paper.
It boasts superior quality Chillcel cooling pads which have extremely high density and can last for about 8 years without any need of replacement. In fact, the tank capacity of this evaporative cooler is about 10.3 gallons which allows it to provide consistent cooling for almost 4 hours continuously.
Coming to its other features, there are 3 different rotary controls (Off, High, Mid, Low), and also an Air Swing Delivery system is also present.
Although the design of the air cooler might not be too impressive, its build quality will blow your mind. Make sure the room has enough space for this cooler as it’s 37x17x24 inches in size.
On the other hand, the weight of this unit is 40 pounds, but you won’t face any struggle moving it around, thanks to the high-quality caster wheels.
- The power consumption of this air cooler is around 250Watts.
- Ideal for spaces up to 950sq.ft.
- Delivers 3100CFM airflow and has 3 different fan speed modes
- The tank capacity is 10.3 Gallons.
- Brand HESSAIRE
- Color Gray
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 24 x 16 x 38 inches
- Wattage 250
- Material Polypropylene
- Form Factor Personal
- Included Components Evaporative Cooler, Owner’s Manual
- Item Weight 39 Pounds
- Air Flow Capacity 3100 Cubic Feet Per Minute
- Floor Area 950 Square Feet
About this item:
- PORTABLE – 4 heavy duty locking casters for cooling home, patio or workshop spaces up to 950 square feet
- COMPACT YET POWERFUL – 37x17x24 inches; 3, 100 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM); 3 fan speeds and oscillating louvers to ensure even distribution, wide coverage and comfort
- EASY TO OPERATE & SIMPLE TO MAINTAIN – 3 simple rotary controls allow the fan (Off, Hi, Med, Low), pump (On, Off) and oscillation motor (On, Off) to be controlled independently
- MANUAL & CONTINUOUS FILL – Utilize the Continuous Fill option by attaching a household hose with the included float adaptor, eliminating the need to manually watch and fill the water tank
- SUPERCHARGED, ECONOMICAL COOLING – 3-sided rigid high-density cooling pads for increased evaporative surface area generating cooler air
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Voltage: 115 volts
- Wattage: 250 watts
- To minimize noise and vibration, the air conditioner should be placed on a firm floor.
- 3100 CFM
- Superior Build Quality
- Uses a 0.2HP powerful motor
- Comes with a continuous tank fill feature
- Max noise of 59dB might feel disturbing.
hOmeLabs Evaporative Cooler
hOmeLabs Evaporative CoolerhOmeLabs manufactures a wide range of home and kitchen appliances including dehumidifiers, air conditioners, microwaves, ice machines, refrigerators, and evaporative coolers.
hOmeLabs’ evaporative cooler is heavily packed with advanced features to offer ease of use.
The evaporative cooler is equipped with an LED display control panel that provides necessary information such as temperature, speed, operating mode, and swing direction.
There is a remote control that allows for easy easy operation of the evaporative cooler. Furthermore, you can choose a power level from 6 different modes. There is a 24 hours programmable timer that allows for automatic On and Off to conserve energy. For monitoring the water level, there is a visible and audible low-water indicator to know exactly when you have to refill the tank.
Talking about the performance, the evaporative cooler uses 130 watts power to cool a room with up to 200 sq. ft. dimension. It is equipped with a large tank container that allows you to add 10 litres of ice water for extra cooling effect.
The evaporative cooler has a reusable nylon filter to protect your family from pet hairs and dust particles. To clean the filter, you have to slide the filter out and wash it using mild detergent.
- 130 watts power consumption
- 10 litres tank capacity
- Cools up to 200 sq. ft. dimension
- 24 hours programmable timer
- Brand HOmeLabs
- Color White
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 14.7 x 13.1 x 34 inches
- Wattage 130 watts
- Material Nylon
- Controls Type Remote
- Item Weight 18.5 Pounds
- Number of Speeds 3
- Reservoir Capacity 10 Liters
- Floor Area 200 Square Feet
About this item:
- Need a quick relief from the heat? Our portable hOmeLabs Evaporative Cooler got your back to keep you cool over the summer. This indoor swamp cooler is designed to conveniently cool a room with up to 200 square feet dimension and has a tank container that allows you to add up to 10-liter of ice water for extra coolness.
- Our high-quality air cooling machine is smartly designed with an LED display control panel and includes a handy remote control to easily set the time, swing direction, temperature, speed, and mode from across the room. Choose your preferred power level from Low, Mid, and High. Natural, Sleep, or Normal wind mode? There’s always one that is perfect for you.
- What’s cooler than being cool? This 14.7 x 13.1 x 34 inches space-saving evaporative cooler with oscillating vents for faster and even air distribution only uses water to cool the air, unlike traditional air conditioners that use heavy compressors or refrigerant gas. Our cooler increases humidity to help you feel more comfortable.
- No worries if you don’t want to leave the cooler running while you’re asleep as we designed our evaporative cooler with a 24-hour programmable timer that you can easily set to help save energy by turning the unit on and off automatically. Also designed with a visible and audible low-water indicator to easily monitor the water level of your cooler.
- To provide clean cool air for your optimum relaxation and comfort, we designed a removable and reusable nylon air filter to protect your family and living space from dust and pet hairs. To extend the life and performance of this unit, we recommend you to clean the filter every week of operation. Simply slide the filter out and clean with mild detergent and a soft brush.
- Heavily packed features
- LED display control panel
- 6 different power levels for ideal cooling
- User manual is not clear
Bestooth Evaporative Air Cooler
If you are looking for a budget-friendly yet decent evaporative air cooler, then Bestooth is one of the trustworthy brands. Though it is small size, this air cooler can enough cooling for up to 24 feet.
It is equipped with air humifying and crystal refrigeration technology which ensures cool air ever single time. It has 3 fan speed options that include low, medium and high. Along with that, it also comes with 4 modes that are normal, natural, sleep and cooling.
This air cooler has bladeless design which ensures safety and easy maintenance. It has a large 5 litre capacity so you don’t have to worry about refilling frequently. On a full tank, you can expect continuous cool air for several hours.
- 9 cooling ice packs
- 3 gallon water tank
- 24-hour timer setting
- No compressor mode
- Bladeless design
- Color: White
- Brand Bestooth
- Color White
- Material Crystal
- Controls Type Remote
- Number of Speeds 3
- Reservoir Capacity 1.3 Gallons
About this item:
?⛄3-in-1 Evaporative Cooler: Portable air conditioner adopts ice crystal refrigeration and air humidifying technology to cool down your area; Once the water and ice cubes have been placed in the water tank, press the cooling button and cool you down the air in just 5 seconds. Our evaporative cooler got your back to keep you cool over the summer.
?⛄3 Fan Speed & 4 Modes: This evaporative cooler features 3-speed(low/med/high) and 4 wind mode(normal/natural/sleep/cooling) and delivers wind at wide angle, designed for personal space cooling. You can select the perfect wind power as you need.
?⛄3 LED Display & Remote Control: With clear digital LED display, it shows all your adjustments. Includes a handy remote control to easily set the time, speed and mode from across the room. It allows you to adjust the bladeless fan’s function within long distance without moving your body.
?⛄Bladeless Deign for Safety & Easy Cleaning: Evaporative air cooler is designed as bladeless which prevents from scratching or twisting, it is much safer to use in the household that has children or pets. With this evaporative cooler, you can’t see any dirty blades on the fan anymore and it’s healthier without dirt blowing out.
?⛄User-friendly Design: 5L large-capacity water tank ensures that cold air can be sprayed continuously for several hours without worrying that it might stop. Our Air Cooler comes with 9 reusable Ice crystal boxes and the effect is better when used with it together. The drawer design is convenient to place and remove.
?⛄Easy Rolling Casters: This air cooler comes with 4 smooth rolling casters that allow you to easily move it from place to place with zero effort. You can place it in your kitchen, dorm, office or anywhere you like. Its compact size does not take too much space, which is ideal for rooms with limited space.
?⛄Energy Saving & Eco-friendly: Evaporative air cooler has no compressor and does not use chemical refrigerants and it is more environmentally friendly and safe for your health. Together with your room AC system, the air cooler for room would bring greater air circulation, which is more energy efficient.
- Silent operation
- User-friendly design
- Easy rolling casters
- Remote control
- Nothing much
COMFYHOME 3-IN-1 Portable Air Conditioner, Evaporative Air Cooler
COMFYHOME 3-IN-1 Portable Air ConditionerComfyhome has been around for the past 40 years serving its customers with highly durable products while taking care of the customer’s satisfaction ever since.
That said, we bring you this 3-in-1 evaporative air cooler from Comfyhome that has a mass airflow of 455CFM and an effective cooling area of 170sq.ft. with a total tank capacity of 2 gallons.
This air cooler is fairly compact in size, and lightweight as well. Despite that, to help the user move it comfortably, it comes with 4 heavy-duty caster wheels on its base.
Equipped with a powerful yet energy-efficient motor, it has the capability to cool down a room in a few minutes. In fact, using its 65° oscillation feature, it can easily cover an entire room. In case you’re resting and don’t want to change its settings, the remote controller will definitely make your life easier.
Speaking of its settings, you get to choose from 3 various cooling modes on this air cooler. Its humidifier function is quite helpful if the environment feels rough and dry.
Moreover, as it throws air, the dust and bacteria filter installed in the cooler ensure the air reaching you is always fresh and clean.
- Has a total water tank capacity of 2 gallons.
- Comes with a 12H timer feature
- 3 Speeds ＆ 3 Modes
- 2 reusable ice packs included
- Color: White
- Brand COMFYHOME
- Color White
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 11 x 10 x 22 inches
- Wattage 65 watts
- Controls Type Remote
- Included Components 1×Evaporative Air Cooler, 4×Ice Packs, 4×Casters, 1×Remote, 2×battery, 1×Manual
- Item Weight 9 Pounds
- Noise Level 35 dB
- Number of Speeds 3
- Air Flow Capacity 460 Cubic Feet Per Minute
About this item:
- ❄【Energy-Efficient AIR Cooler】COMFYHOME multi-function evaporative air cooler is a combination of fan’s air circulation and humidifier’s purification. Compared with a window AC unit, one of its biggest advantages is the fact you can use this compact stand up air conditioner in rooms with or without windows, it’s easy to install and doesn’t require any modifications. Thanks to its specific feature of preserving energy, you can enjoy personal cooling and freshness with fewer bucks.
- ❄【Customized Breeze To Your Taste】The 3 in 1 smart and portable evaporative cooler indoor can quickly cool air with its high efficiency motor. With a whole range of options like High-Med-Low fan and Sleep/Normal/Cool mode, better for small and medium spaces like an atrium, living room, bedroom, kitchen, den, garage and office. Enjoy your personalized wind just the way you like. Feel refreshed and cool now with this portable air conditioner.
- ❄【Remote Control ＆ 65°Oscillation】The compact portable evaporative air cooler comes with 0.42 sq. Ft large louvers, you can manually adjust the front louvers in any position. Use the remote or the control panel to point the build-in fins right at your to enjoy the impressive coolness, or oscillate them up to 65° wide oscillation to circulate air throughout the room. Benefitting from the powerful wind of 455 CFM, this portable ac can quickly cover your area up to 170Sq.Ft. Coolness is everywhere!
- ❄【Humanized Double Watertank, Ultimate Comfy】No need to bend over with the topwater tank! This swamp cooler is friendly to the elderly and pregnant women. Press the ‘COOL’ button for powerful cool, loading it up with ice cubes and ice packs for best use! The smart sleep mode provides a comfortable climate at alternating speeds, making it healthier to enjoy all-night sleep with a 12-Hour timer setting, and you don’t have to refill the unit in a good 8 hr run. Feel refreshed and take on a new day!
- ❄【Lightweight ＆ Easy to Move】This electric evaporative air cooler is lightweight 9 lbs and portable. It is more convenient to move with the gliding casters and the built-in handle. No matter where you need cool air, from the bedroom to dorm room to recreational trailer. Its compact size can easily fit into any small area, like under the desk and dining table. Keep this portable air conditioner cooler in mind when portability is top of your mind.
- Impressive cooling effect
- Ideal for small rooms
- Extremely lightweight and compact in size
The wheels are a little stiff
OEMTOOLS 23976 3-Speed Evaporative Cooler
OEMTOOLS 23976 3-Speed Evaporative CoolerIf you are essentially looking for a large-sized air cooler for a large space such as halls, workshops, etc.,
OEMTOOLS has just the right air cooler for you, available at a pleasant cost. So, the size of this air cooler is itself big, measuring 25.8 x 16.9 x 35.8 inches, hence it takes up a decent amount of room space.
However, once you get it working, it won’t take more than 10 minutes to completely change the climate inside the room, thanks to 3,100CFM powerful airflow offered by its 1/5HP motor.
Although we are not a big fan of its build quality, we definitely love it for its features though. The water tank of this cooler comes with a continuous fill feature and has a total capacity of 10.3 gallons.
Speaking of other features, it boasts an advanced swing feature that allows it to throw air in multiple directions. That said, the effective cooling area of this air cooler is 950sq.ft. which is quite great.
Depending on your needs, you can adjust its fan speed between 3 different levels. Moreover, you will find 4 heavy-duty caster wheels attached to its base that will help you move this 40pounds air cooler effortlessly.
- Has heavy-duty caster wheels
- Cools 950sq.ft area
- Uses a 0.2HP 3-speed motor
- The water tank capacity is 10.3 gallons.
- Brand OEMTOOLS
- Color Gray
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 25.8 x 16.9 x 35.8 inches
- Material Blend
- Controls Type Knob
- Form Factor Personal
- Included Components 3100 CFM EVAPORATIVE COOLER
- Item Weight 41.3 Pounds
- Number of Speeds 3
- Reservoir Capacity 10.3 Gallons
About this item:
- COOL DOWN YOUR WORKSPACE: One OEMTOOLS 23976 Evaporative Cooler can cool an area up to 950 square feet, and provides 3,100 CFM of air delivery. With its built in oscillating louvers with swing function, this portable cooler provides MAXIMUM coverage and air circulation.
- SAVE MONEY: Evaporative air coolers are more energy efficient than air conditioners—especially in uninsulated spaces—and more effective than fans alone. They provide the most cooling power for the lowest electrical cost.
- WORK COOLER, WORK BETTER: When a workspace is too hot, it creates problems with safety, production accuracy, and employee morale. OEMTOOLS Evaporative Cooling Systems keep your workspace at a pleasant temperature, improving your workers’ experience and the quality of your work.
- POWER AND PORTABILITY: The Evap Cooler energy efficient cooling system comes with large casters for ultra-portability. OEMTOOLS Evaporative Coolers use 3 high-density media panels, which provide 80% more evaporation surface the average competitor’s solution.
- FULL SPECIFICATIONS: 1/5 HP 3-speed motor; Cools 950 sq. ft.; Oscillating design; Patented axial propeller is more efficient and provides better coverage; Molded with UV-resistant polypropylene resin, suitable for outdoor use; Direct-connect-to-hose feature enables constant water supply option; Large casters for mobility
- Evaporative coolers work best in areas that are dry and hot, and do not perform as well in humid areas.
- 3100 CFM
- Best suitable for large halls, and outdoor use.
- Comes with high-quality ChillCel cooling pads.
- Reduces humidity up to some extent
- Occupies more space due to large size
Honeywell CO48PM Evaporative Air Cooler
Honeywell CO48PM Evaporative Air CoolerHoneywell produces a wide range of home appliances and has also been a top-tier brand in the cooling industry for over a decade now. The Honeywell CO48PM Evaporative Air Cooler suits this list quite well and has decent specs to compete with other products.
If you live in an area where it’s consistently dry in summers, you should definitely have the CO48PM air cooler in your home. Although it looks big in size, it just measures 24.4″ W 14.8″ D 34.8″ H and weighs around 30.9lbs. No matter how heavy it is, the caster wheels will help you move it around easily.
Since it has various fan speed modes, it has a powerful airflow ranging from 1062CFM to 1471CFM, even when the max power consumption is just 150Watts.
This is a perfect air cooler for indoor as well as outdoor use since it has an effective cooling area of 610sq.ft. The 10.6-gallon tank capacity is fairly good for an air cooler of this size.
In fact, it uses triple-sided honeycomb cooling pads for a pleasant evaporative cooling experience. On top of that, it has a separate compartment for putting ice. Speaking of its build quality, it’s weatherproof and UV resistant as well.
- Uses triple-sided honeycomb cooling pads
- The power consumption is around 150Watts.
- Has a 10.6-gallon water tank capacity.
- Offers 1062CFM to 1471CFM airflow with 3-speed modes.
- Brand Honeywell
- Color Gray
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 14.76 x 24.4 x 34.17 inches
- Controls Type Knob
- Form Factor Personal
- Included Components Swamp cooler, connector, manual, warranty
- Item Weight 29.3 Pounds
- Air Flow Capacity 1062 Cubic Feet Per Minute
- Floor Area 650 Square Feet
About this item:
- Product Dimensions: 24.4″ W 14.8″ D 34.8″ H | Product Weight: 30.9 lbs
- Recommended for area up to 610 sq. ft.
- Backyard BBQ’s, pool parties, relaxing on the porch, garden or deck—an outdoor evaporative air cooler beats the summer’s heat and keeps the good times rolling.
- US Compliant, Outdoor-Rated Honeywell Swamp Cooler with UV resistant material & GFCI cord for safe outdoor operation.
- Built to cool large spaces with minimal effort! Top loading ice compartment with a continuous water hose connection & triple-sided Honeywell Honeycomb Cooling Pads means powerful evaporative cooling all day long.
- Like a cool, lake breeze, Evaporative Air cooler reduces temperature through water evaporation. Moist, cool breeze can cool you down without spraying floor & furniture with water!
- Built-to-Last, Honeywell Air Coolers have been leading the industry with their quality products for over 12 years.
- Built of weatherproof and UV-resistant material
- Power consumption is low
- Ideal for outdoor use also
- A bit noisy
FRIGIDAIRE Indoor and Outdoor Evaporative Cooler
FRIGIDAIRE Indoor and Outdoor Evaporative CoolerLast but not the least, we have yet another decent air cooler option left to cover on this list, from this highly-reputed brand, Frigidaire.
It’s an ideal air cooler to pick if you are looking forward to using it both indoors as well as outdoors. With its powerful 1650CFM airflow, it’ll do a pretty decent job in both areas.
The tank capacity of 10.6 gallons is pretty good as it will last for a full night and provide you with a good and cold sleeping experience. According to your likings, you can choose between 3 fan speed modes and have a personalized experience.
For consistent cooling, it boasts 3 eco-friendly high moisture cooling pads, which are not going to face any wear and tear any time soon.
It does get a wide-oscillation feature that allows it to cool any-size room in a matter of a few minutes. The build quality and design are pretty good as well, and the caster wheels are highly useful in moving this large-sized air cooler.
That said, the dimensions of this cooler measures around 20.5 x 29.7 x 44.3 inches, so, you need to ensure your room has space for this much empty space to use this air cooler.
Although the overall cooler is quite good, in case of any issues, you can get it fixed for free under the 1-year warranty period.
- 10.6 Gallons tank capacity
- Triple-sided cooling pads
- 220 Watts Power Consumption
- 1650CFM airflow
- Brand Frigidaire
- Color Gray
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 20.5 x 29.7 x 44.3 inches
- Wattage 220 watts
- Material Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- Included Components Indoor & Outdoor Evaporative Cooler
- Item Weight 41.9 Pounds
- Noise Level 68 dB
- Air Flow Capacity 1650 Cubic Feet Per Minute
- Floor Area 650 Square Feet
About this item:
- The Frigidaire Indoor and Outdoor Evaporative Cooler (Swamp Cooler) offers an efficient, eco-friendly alternative to traditional A/C that’s perfect for garages, warehouses, and other large spaces.
- The 10.6-gallon tank can also be connected to a standard garden hose for refill-free outdoor use. Stay comfortable all summer long in arid climates west of the Mississippi.
- Provides up to 1650 CFMs of airflow to spread the breeze far and wide.
- The 10.6-gallon tank hardly ever runs out of water, and you can eliminate refills entirely when you use this evaporative cooler outside.
- Three thick cooling pads cover the back and sides of this evaporative cooler to maximize evaporation with extra surface area.
- Easy-glide casters make this evaporative cooler a snap to position anywhere you need it.
- Wattage: 220 watts
- Can be used outdoors
- Easily replaceable cooling pads
- Portable Design
- Slightly Expensive
Best Evaporative Air Coolers Buying Guide For 2022-2023
If evaporative cooler is your choice, then consider the below factors while making the purchase…
- Cooling Area
It refers to the volume of cool air delivered by the evaporative cooler. You should consider room size while analyzing this factor.
For a small area – Invest in low CFM model as higher range will make the air muggy & humid and uncomfortable.
For larger hall/workshops – Go for a cooler with a large CFM rating. Lesser CFM rating will not be adequate to cool the air.
For outdoors – look for a cooler with airflow of at least 1000 CFM.
- Water Tank Capacity
To prevent constant refilling of the tank, you have to choose a cooler with an adequate water tank capacity. For a complete working of all the night/day, it should have a tank capacity of at least 5 gallons of water.
How to Choose an Evaporative Air Cooler?
There are several factors to consider while shopping for evaporative air coolers. Below, we have listed all the essential factors, which you have to check and differentiate between various models to pick the right one, as per your requirement.
Cooling Area (CFM):
The size of the cooler/cooling area is essential to consider while buying an evaporative cooler. This will let you know whether the cooler can effectively cool the room or not.
For this, you have to check the CFM of the cooler. Just like AC sized in BTUs, evaporative air coolers are sized in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). This describes how much volume of air a particular cooler process.
If you brought a cooler that is too small for your room, then it works just more than a fan.
If purchasing a cooler that is big/large for the room, it makes the air humid and uncomfortable.
A swamp cooler with a high CFM will make pass more air through it. Thus, cool down the room/space quickly and thereby easily handle a large room.
Here is the formula used to calculate the right CFM, based on your room size.
Room’s Square Feet X Ceiling Height / 2 = CFM.
Simply, multiply the room’s square footage with its ceiling height, and then divide it by two to get the right CFM for your room. For instance, searching for a cooler to use in a room with a 300 Sq. Ft & a standard 8Ft ceiling, then the right cooler size will be 300 X 8 /2 = 1200 CFM.
Also, remember that you should not be strict with this CFM rating. So, you can choose a cooler with 500 – 800 CFM for a room of 300 sq. ft. rather than 1200 CFM. But this less CFM will slowly cool down the room. When once your room cools down, then it will maintain the temperature easily.
Still, not sure about the cooler’s size, then check the product, as the manufacture suggest the maximum CFM a cooler can cool the room/space.
Want to use evaporative coolers for the outdoors, then purchase a powerful CFM rating (airflow at least 1000 CFM) cooler to cool a large space. Also, it’s best to choose the one designed with water and UV resistant to withstand any element or temperature.
Water Tank Capacity:
Are you tired of refilling the water tank constantly in an evaporative cooler? Then simply opt for coolers having adequate water tank capacity.
For instance, a tank capacity of at least 5 gallons of water will be enough to run a swamp cooler all night/day. While a smaller tank with 1 – 3 gallons of water will last for 5 – 7 hours. A cooler utilizes the water from the tank based on its CFM.
Most outdoor models offer hose attachments that can refill themselves instead of manual filling of the tank. While indoor models, you need to refill the water to top off the tank eventually.
In general, the cooling pads get wet in cold water, which allows them to absorb heat easily from the air and thus deliver a cool breeze. There are two types of cooling pads available in the market – Honeycomb cooling pad and aspen/wool cooling pads. Let’s know about them in detail.
Honeycomb Cooling Pad – These high-density cooling pads are made of cellulose, which resembles honeycomb in structure. They provide more cooling compared to other types of cooling pads. These are durable and highly efficient. The only drawback is that they are expensive.
Aspen or Wood/Wool Cooling Pad – This type of cooling pad resemble grass in structure. This makes it provide a less cooling effect. Since they are less durable and efficient, they are affordable.
Also, consider how often you need to replace these cooling pads, as some of the more exotic options are pricier.
Buying an evaporative air cooler is a one-time investment, but its running cost will be a lifetime expenditure, which matters a lot.
In case, if you come across two similar features of air coolers but with different power ratings, then pick the one that consumes less power, irrespective of their prices.
The amount of area you want to cool will decide the power consumption of a particular model. A general rule is – the power consumption of a cooler will increase when there is an increase in its cooling area.
The cooler that is easy to mobile and portable are considered the best swamp coolers. They come with wheels and a lightweight yet sturdy body. Most of these models can be used to handle a single room at a time, which makes portability as a must option for these coolers.
As we already mentioned, evaporative air coolers add moisture to the air and thereby meant to use in hot and dry areas. If using a cooler in a humid area, then it raises the moisture levels beyond the safety level. Thereby results in the development of mold in your home.
Most experts say that areas with less than 60% humidity are suitable to use an evaporative cooler. So, check out the moisture level in your space before buying an evaporative cooler.
The noise level of any item is measured in terms of decibels (dBA). While running an evaporative cooler outdoors won’t let you consider this decibel rating, but when you’re running a cooler indoors (or) looking for a smaller unit, then it is a must to consider this dBA level.
It is essential to know how loud your cooler will sound while operating and to know whether it disturbs your sleep or not. For instance, a vacuum cleaner is around 70dBA and a fridge can be at 50dBA.
Here are a few additional features that aids in the smart functioning of this swamp cooler. Have a look at them.
Speed Control – This lets you control the airflow of the fan’s speed, as per your requirement (either to increase or decrease). In general, there are 3-speed levels offered – Low, Medium and High. Set the speed level as needed to make yourself cool and comfortable.
Remote Control – With this convenient and comfortable feature, you can easily control the evaporative cooler from a distance by using the remote.
Air Filtration – Choosing a cooler with added air filtration will prevent allergen particles like pollen or dust or other debris, while cooling your space. A few models offer activated carbon filters for odor filtration.
ABS Plastic – Pick a durable model made with ABS plastic for a heavy-duty cooling effect, especially in industrial spaces.
Continuous Use – An evaporative cooler having a hose hook up will let you use it continuously. Simply, connect the hose for the cool air till you space is cool and comfortable.
Wheels at Base – The cooler with 4 caster wheels will make them easy to move around (ease of movement) in either indoor or outdoor areas.
Garden Hose Adapter – It is not fun to refill the tank after every few hours. If you’re tired due to this refilling water tank, then look for a swamp cooler with a garden hose adapter. This adapter will let you connect the hose to have a constant water supply.
Air Swing Delivery System:
This feature will ensure the reach of air blown by a cooler in all directions of the room. Here the swamp cooler has oscillation louvers of 40°, 70°, or 120°. As the degree of oscillation increases, the range of air blown will also increase.
To determine the proper air swing delivery system, you have to consider the size of your room. The bigger the space, the higher degree of oscillation required. If you want to cool down a large area/room, then purchase a cooler with a higher degree of oscillation.
With this timer function, you can easily program the cooler for uninterrupted working for a certain period of time. When once the set time reaches, the cooler will switch off automatically.
The coolers offer a maximum timer function of 15 hours with 1hr/2hr/3hr/4hr switch buttons. Also, remember that coolers with this option are a bit expensive. All you need is to select the time as per your requirement.
Water Level Indicator:
This water level indicator will let you know the amount of water present in the cooler. If water reaches a minimum level, then this indicator will notify you with a sound (alarm) and light to refill the empty tank. Thus, this simple gauge will save the swamp cooler from not getting any damage due to less/no water in the tank.
The price of evaporative coolers is affordable than ACs. Its price range will be from $. Make sure to choose the model that comes with decent quality and essential features, which comes within your budget range.
Most of these evaporative coolers offer short guarantees. Since they won’t have many moving parts, yet there are a few things that can leak, break or rust. So, look for a product the comes with an effective warranty period.
How does an evaporative cooler will work to cool the room?
An evaporative cooler will cool the room with the process of evaporation. They work by pulling the dry, stale air and move this air through a water-moistened cooling pad.
Then the cool water gets evaporated into the air. Thus, this released cool air will be re-circulated back into the environment by using a powerful, and efficient fan.
Finally, this re-circulated cool air will produce a cool, gentle breeze that reduces the air temperature. The daily operating cost of this cooling solution will be up to 75% lower (affordable) than ACs.
But remember that while using these coolers indoors, they should have access to a constant supply of fresh air either from an open door or window.
How to Maintain an Evaporative Air Cooler?
An evaporative air cooler is one of the best low maintenance cooling options. All you need is to keep these 3 basic things in your mind about its maintenance.
Basic Maintenance – Use a damp cloth to wipe out the outer housing of the portable swamp cooler. Doing it regular basis will keep it clean.
Cleaning and Replacement of Cooling Pads – It is a must to clean the evaporative cooling pads at least once a month with a mixture of mild detergent and lukewarm water. This will remove dirt, dust, mold, and mildew build-up. Also, one has to replace these cooling pads based on the model they purchase. Use a disinfectant spray to clear the build-up of mineral or mildew forming on a media.
Seasonal Shut Down – People use this swamp cooler for the hot summer season, and whenever the season is finished, store it properly. Drain the tank and water line, disconnect the waterline, and cover the cooler. Run the cooler with a fan-only feature for about 30 – 60 minutes to dry out the machine and its cooling pads completely before it’s storing.
Types of Evaporative/Swamp Coolers:
There are 5 main types of swamp coolers available in the market. Let’s know about them in detail.
Portable Swamp Coolers – It is the most common type of swamp coolers. This portable air cooler will cool an entire room and are portable that aids in easy mobility from one place to another.
Window Swamp Coolers – Resembles like window ACs, but uses evaporative cooling in the place of a compressor. This window-mounted swamp cooler will offer better cooling performance with less noise.
Personal Swamp Coolers – This mini ultra-portable cooler is designed to cool down the area quickly. This type of cooler is suitable to use for your coffee table, work desk or bedside to make yourself relax comfortably.
Outdoor Swamp Coolers – They work similar to indoor ones, yet they are bigger with powerful motors and large fans. They are stronger, durable and can withstand elements. They blow cool air across a wider area. Some models offer garden hose connection to prevent you from constant refilling of the water tank.
Industrial Swamp Coolers – This industrial evaporative cooler is a huge unit used to blow out a massive amount of cool air at once. This type of coolers is designed for large open areas like warehouse, workshops, garages or factory floor.
Advantages of Evaporative Air Coolers:
Here is a list of some of the benefits of evaporative swamp coolers. Have a look at them before making their purchase.
Cost-Effectiveness – When compared to AC’s, these evaporative coolers cost less but provide efficient & effective cooling in your space.
Eco-friendly – They don’t use any harmful refrigerants for their cooling. Instead, they cool the natural air and works eco-friendly (don’t cause any harm to the environment).
Energy Efficient – Compared to ACs, they consume less power to provide effective cooling. Thus, results in less electricity bill.
Humidifier – Acts as a great humidifier in dry or semi-arid regions. They increase the moisture content in the air while blowing.
Easily Portable – With its caster wheels at their base, this cooler let you shift them to the desired area (either indoors or outdoors).
Disadvantages of Evaporative Air Coolers:
Beyond benefits, one should know its drawbacks before buying. Here is the list of disadvantages of swamp coolers.
High Maintenance – The fans and motors of the cooler are prone to rust & damage. Thus, it requires proper maintenance regularly.
Less Effective in Humid Areas – They can’t add moisture into the air and thereby works less effective in humid and coastal areas.
Noise – The motor running to blow air will produce a lot of sounds, which seems noisy and disturb you.
Regular Filling of Tank – You need to refill the water tank regularly, whenever it gets empty. It makes most people get tired easily, and this problem gets worse if you live in a drought full area.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do these coolers work to cool the room?
Ans: These coolers lower your room temperature by pulling the warm air into it. Here the pulled air passes through water-soaked filter pads and thus cools it before blowing out by a fan. This results in temperature dropping. With this continuous process, your room will get cooled down quickly. All you need is to check and refill the water for its continuous usage.
Q: What is the difference between evaporative air coolers and air conditioners?
Ans: Evaporative air coolers work by combining the steady breeze with a natural cooling property of water to lower indoor temperatures. A slight difference between these coolers and ACs are the coolers will add humidity to the air and AC units will remove (dries it out). So, these two should not be used at a time.
I hope you have liked this review guide of the best evaporative air coolers and found it useful to select the best suitable air cooler option for your home.
Almost all the products that I have shortlisted have pretty low power consumption, yet provide amazing cooling.
Although I have mentioned all the key features of each product along with its pros and cons so that you don’t find it difficult to choose one for yourself. Still, if you are facing trouble making the final decision, I have a few personal recommendations for you:
Thinking of a powerful air cooler, the only name that comes to mind is the Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler. It comes with a variety of different speed and cooling modes and delivers an amazing cooling effect up to 950 sq. ft. Hence, it’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
If you want an air cooler that should operate quietly and shall not disturb you while sleeping, the hOmeLabs Evaporative Cooler is the best option for you. With 200 sq.ft. cooling area capacity, it’s the perfect choice to use in the bedroom. In fact, it can be operated using Remote as well.
In case power consumption is a major concern for you, the BREEZEWELL 2-In-1 Bladeless Tower Fan consumes only 65Watts and is one of the best energy-efficient evaporative coolers for indoor use. Despite low power consumption, it has an effective cooling area of 900 sq. ft. which is quite impressive. Thanks for taking the time to read my Best Evaporative Air Coolers Review Guide For 2022-2023.