Best Dog Winter Coat Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Dog Winter Coat Review Guide For 2023-2024 – Some people have questioned the need to purchase winter coats for dogs. After all, dogs like huskies and German shepherds have coat thick enough to withstand the cold weather, right?
Fair enough. Clearly not all dog need the best dog winter coats but how about those that do?
Short-haired breeds like pit bulls, greyhounds, and chihuahuas all need a helping hand when it gets colder. Sick dogs also need some extra insulation during colder months.
It could be, too, that your dog just feels the cold more than average. Let’s face it, our pets today are pampered. Over time, the dogs you raise have lost many of their wild traits. They don’t have to go out for food. You keep your dog in cool rooms when it’s hot. You take care of your dog just like you would take care of your children.
Assuming your dog does need a winter coat, what should you look for when you’re buying one? Keep reading our Best Dog Winter Coat Review Guide For 2023-2024 to find out more.
Best Dog Winter Coat Buyers Guide For 2023-2024
Things to keep in mind when choosing to buy winter coats for dogs:
Size matters and never more so than when choosing a winter coat for your dog. Get this right and your dog stays toasty all year long. Get it wrong and the jacket will end up gathering dust in the closet.
All the jackets we review come in a broad selection of sizings. Measure your dog carefully, both across the chest and around the neck.
Unfortunately, many of these jackets come with questionable sizing charts so you should really take your time over this part of your buying decision.
The good news?
Once you’re certain the jacket you’re looking at will snugly fit your pooch, the rest of your buying decision is super-simple.
Only you know the importance of color when it comes to your dog’s wardrobe. It could be highly relevant or of no concern.
Several of the jackets we review today are available in a dazzling array of colors so if you are motivated by bright colors, you’ve got plenty of options at your disposal.
The condition of your dog:
You should think about the life stage and overall condition of your dog.
Is he especially old or young? Does he have particularly long or short hair?
Personalize your buying decision and buy a winter coat for your dog in line with this.
The climate where you live:
Now, the weather where you live is highly relevant and will inform the type of winter coat you buy for your dog.
If you have especially low temperatures, be certain to wrap your dog up just as surely as you keep yourself warm. Your dog can’t help himself.
The bulk of these winter dog coats are made from polyester. This is highly durable and won’t get ripped up after a bit of rough and tumble.
If you dislike handwashing your dog’s gear, look for a coat you can pop in the washing machine to keep your input to a minimum.
Depending on the climate and whether or not your dog goes in the water when you’re out for a walk, you might want to prioritize waterproofing. If so, you’ll find no shortage of fully water-repellent winter coats.
Right, with that foundation in place, you should be clear what you’re looking for in the best winter dog jacket.
ThinkPet Reversible Winter Dog Coat
As we pass the midpoint of our winter dog coat reviews, we’ve got another reversible gem, this time from ThinkPet. Whether you need a jacket for indoor or outdoor use, why not get the best of both worlds?
Running from XS (chest size 12 inch) to XL (chest size 24 to 26 inches), you should find something to fit pretty much any breed of dog. The only niggle here is that, like many of these jackets, you might find some discrepancies with the size chart. It’s worth taking your time here to avoid getting a coat that doesn’t fit properly.
As with all the best winter dog coats, this model is a cinch to get your dog in and out of. The choice of colors is limited to just four. All come with reflective strips so your pooch stays safe around the clock.
- Large Dog Coat – Size XL neck girth 22″, chest girth 24-26″, back length 20″, choose by the chest measurement in priority, suitable medium and large dogs.
- Keep Dogs Warm and Cosy – Soft thick inner padded layer offers great warmth and comfort,but won’t limit the walking of dogs, what’s more, it keeps your dogs’ belly from snow, leaves or any other outdoor elements thanks to good belly coverage
- Reversible Dog Coat – Versatile and stylish jacket for both indoor and out door use, dogs can wear this vest on either side, if he or she wants to change style or escape from too much heat
- Flexible with Adjustment – Elastic and hook & loop fastener combination under the belly makes it easy to put on and take off, offers a better fit and more comfort for dogs at the same time, the zipper on the back makes it handy to incorporate any harness or collar type
- Safety Dog Vest – Nice reflective piping for visibility, highly reflective when lights hit it, in case you have to walk around dusk
- Choose from a large range of sizes
- Hook-and-loop fastening expedites getting your dog in and out of this jacket
- Reversible coat ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- Size listing is misleading
Zack & Zoey Dog Blanket Coat
Next up is this neat dog blanket coat from Zack & Zoey. You get a choice of 8 sizes and 8 colors meaning there should be something for most pet owners here.
Made from polyester and packing classic Velcro fastenings, you’ll find no problem at all slipping your furball in and out of this jacket.
You won’t need to worry about upkeep either. Pop this jacket in the washing machine, allow it to air dry and you’re good to go.
While the coat itself is spot-on, if you run into any problems, you could find customer care lets you down. Plenty of dissatisfied customers complain about a lack of responsiveness and queries left unresolved.
- Soft, comfy, durable machine-washable blanket coat for dogs
- Solid-color water-resistant shell reverses to soft printed fleece for all weather conditions
- Reflective stripe and paw print detailing on back
- With neck and belly velcro closures for adjustable fit
- Easy-care machine-washable jacket
- Tweak neck and belly enclosures for a super-snug fit
- Reflective stripe for safety
- Customer service is poor
Gooby Dog Jacket
As we edge to the end of our hunt for the best dog winter coats, this Gooby Dog Jacket is a great choice if you want to keep your furball warm year-round even in cooler climates.
The innovative design ensures you never pinch your dog’s fur and you never trap his skin. Once it’s on, your furball will be cocooned in warmth.
With D-rings allowing you to attach your leash securely, once you’re done with walkies you can just machine wash this jacket so you have no concerns about ongoing maintenance.
If you have a larger dog of 32 pounds or more, this is not the coat for you. For all smaller dogs below that weight, it makes a smart choice.
- For Small Dogs: Gooby Padded Vest is for small dog. Largest size will fit a dog around 32 lbs.
- Cut For Dogs: Unlike most pet coats and sweaters, this one is actually cut so your dog doesn’t dirty the dog vest when mother nature comes calling – so you won’t have any potty issues. But let’s say your dog does manage to get themselves into some deep… mess you’ll be relieved to know you can safely machine wash and tumble dry the Gooby dog vest with ease.
- No Skin/Fur Pinch: The protective guard on the dog jacket prevents dog fur and skin from getting accidentally zipped – very painful experience your small dog will not experience when you get a Gooby dog vest. The zipper is located in the back which makes it easier for you to put on and zip – struggle free!
- No More Awkwardness: When your small dog wears this dog sweater, they won’t want to take it off. After you come back from a walk, you won’t experience any of those awkward moments where your dog is waiting for you to take it off. You won’t have to fight with them to put it on either. In fact, some customers say their dogs love to sleep in it!
- Love Walking Again: It’s not because of the D-rings that allow you to securely attach a leash without needing another harness or collar (although it’s a valid reason) – but because of its fleece lining, the Gooby dog vest keeps your small dog warm and dry when out on a walk in the winter. It also protects your dog against cold wind – a horrendous experience no living thing deserves to experience.
- Designed to never pinch your dog’s skin
- Secure D-rings for attaching your dog’s leash
- Safe to machine wash and tumble dry
- Won’t fit dogs over 32 pounds
Kurgo Loft Jacket Reversible Dog Coat for Cold Weather
Kurgo Loft Jacket Reversible Dog Coat for Cold Weather is a neat reversible jacket from Kurgo. What do you get for your money, then?
If you want plenty of choice when it comes to colors and sizes, you’re in safe hands here. This jacket runs from XS through to XL. As well as this loft jacket iteration, you can also pick up a fleece sweater or a base layer separately.
Reverse the jacket and your pooch can wear it indoors, too.
With leash access and a reflective stripe, this completely adjustable coat is our overall favorite winter coat for canines. Reasonably priced and built to give your dog plenty of service, treat your pooch today!
- Water resistant & Lightweight: Loft dog jacket is just the right amount of coverage to keep your active dog warm without overheating. Athletic fit for complete freedom of movement. Water resistant, microtomic, ripstop material for durability & doesn’t make dog itchy like other jackets.
- Wear With Harness : Reversible coat has leash access zipper opening on back & allows complete access to dog’s harness so you can attach a leash & go! Easy on & off is perfect for walking, running, or hiking during colder months. Machine wash gentle, air dry.
- Size & Fit: Size medium fits dogs with neck 18 inches, chest 26-35 inches, and back 19.75 inches; please measure your dog around widest part of the chest and lower neck, then refer to Kurgo size chart. Back coverage will vary depending on dog’s shape.
- Reversible , Reflective, & Adjustable: Stylish reversible dog vest is perfect to keep your dog cozy during chilly fall months & cold winter months when out on walks, hikes, & runs. Reflective piping for visibility in the dark; adjustable hook & loop belly closure for custom fit.
- Lifetime Warranty: Comes with hassle & worry-free warranty against manufacturer defects when purchased new from authorized seller. Call Kurgo customer service at 877-847-3868 for more details.
- Huge choice of colors and sizes
- Reversible and adjustable for complete versatility
- Buy with complete confidence thanks to money-back guarantee
- A few complaints about the finish of this jacket
RUFFWEAR Insulated Jacket for Dogs
RUFFWEAR is a household name in the dog vertical. If you need to keep your pooch warm in hostile weather, this insulated jacket is tailor-made.
Fashioned from polyester that’s built to stay the distance, the jacket is emblazoned with reflective strips so you and your pooch stay safe at night.
Slipping your dog in and out of the jacket is a cinch thanks to the buckles on the sides. Available in a choice of 6 colorways, you should find something to suit your taste and your dog’s temperament.
The only real drawback with this excellent insulated jacket is the fact a few disgruntled users have drawn attention to the speed at which the waterproof coating wears off. If you frequently take your dog out in wet weather or near the water, it might be worth reconsidering.
- Cozy And Comfy: Don’t let the cold keep you in! When the temperature drops, the Overcoat’s recycled fleece lining helps keep your pup warm so you can get out, no matter the weather.
- Built To Last: The recycled polyester outer fabric is strong, durable, and sure to last many seasons to come.
- Gear Up And Go: This vest-style jacket offers good coverage while the side release buckles make it easy to put on and take off. Spend less time gearing up and more time outside.
- Layer Up: The Overcoat has a leash portal on the back so it can be worn over Ruffwear’s Front Range Harness or Web Master Harness.
- Extending Adventures: With the reflective trim, you and your dog can stay out longer. Want to go the extra mile? Attach Ruffwear’s Beacon light (not included) to the built-in light loop.
- Quick-release side buckles speed up getting ready for walkies
- Reflective patches so your dog stays safe after dark
- Made from rugged recycled polyester
- None at this time
We hope by now you have a solid overview of the best dog winter coats up for grabs. Most of the jackets we looked at today come in a wide array of sizes.
A general point about those sizes, though. For some reason, many manufacturers seem to mess up when it comes to the sizing charts. You should check out some user reviews pointing out where they get this wrong so you can maximize your chances of getting it right.
Bookmark SimplyPetShop.com and be sure to come back soon. We’re hard at work producing more value-packed informational guides so you can get the best dog equipment the easy way. We hope you found this Best Dog Winter Coat Review Guide For 2023-2024 helpful. See you soon!