Best Dog Probiotic Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Dog Probiotic Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Just like us, our beloved dogs can benefit from taking a regular probiotic, which can improve digestion and aid the immune system. Most probiotics produce a specific type of fatty acid that inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria, such as E. coli and Salmonella, resulting in a happier, healthier puppy. Probiotics can even help with dog allergies, though they usually work best in this fashioned when paired with a dog food designed for allergies. We reviewed dozens of dog probiotics to discover the best of the best. We took into account customer reviews, cost effectiveness, ingredients, dosage, and safety when rating each product. Keep reading our Best Dog Probiotic Review Guide For 2022-2023 to find out more.
Best Dog Probiotic Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Who Should Buy a Dog Probiotic:
It is vital for a dog to have a sufficient amount of good bacteria in their gut in order to be healthy and happy. Much of a dog’s immune system is contained in their gut, so it is essential that their gut be well taken care of. Luckily, most dogs naturally have the necessary bacteria in their gut. However, some dogs need a little help in this matter, while other’s might find their natural guy balance upset by environmental or dietary factors. Stress, antibiotics, sickness, dietary change, and other environmental factors can all significantly impact your dog’s gut health.
Whenever your dog’s gut is off balance, you can usually tell. Your dog might experience stomach upset, gassiness, constant itching, bad breath, excessive shedding, dry skin, loose stools, and other symptoms. If your dog has any of these symptoms, it is important to speak to your vet to ensure that your dog is not otherwise sick. Once they give the all clear, starting your dog on probiotics is usually a great option. Of course, even if your dog isn’t experiencing any of these symptoms, it could never hurt to give their gut a little extra help.
Important Features to Consider:
A probiotic for dogs should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a probiotic for your dog:
- CFU count. A CFU is a “colony forming unit” and is used to estimate the number of bacteria in any given dose. Once a single CFU reaches the digestive tract of your dog, it will multiply very quickly. Your dog goes not actually need many CFUs in order to benefit from a probiotic in most cases. For general maintenance, your dog only needs about 1-4 billion CFUs. For pets with diarrhea, a lower count is usually better, while dogs with IBS need a higher count.
- Species. There are tons of different gut bacteria species that might be included in a probiotic. Some species work very well together, while others compete. Not every dog will react the same to every species, which is why it is important to choose a probiotic with multiple species.
- Dosage. You should check the dosage instructions before making a purchase. If you have a particularly large dog, you are probably going to need to purchase something that requires a lower dosage per pound. The last thing you want to do is run through half a box of probiotics in a week. On the other hand, if you have a small dog, you want a probiotic that will cater to their small size.
- Form. Most probiotics come in either powder or chewable form. For the average dog, either would be fine, though the chewable form is usually more convenient for most. However, picky dogs will probably benefit more from a tasteless powder that goes into their food. That way, you don’t have to convince them to eat something they might not be interested in. There are also pill probiotics for dogs, but these are rarer and not as easy to give.
- Prebiotic. Most probiotics will also contain prebiotics, which helps the probiotic bacteria thrive and survive. While it isn’t completely necessary to choose a formula with a prebiotic in it, this ingredient can make the formula more effective and longer lasing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are dog probiotics and how do they work?
A probiotic is a bacteria culture that lives inside a dog’s gut. These bacteria are very important for digestion and your dog’s immune system. Without them, your dog will have difficulty digesting their food properly, which can result in gassiness, stomach upset, and loose stools. Their immune system will also decrease in effectiveness, causing them to become sick more often.
A probiotic supplement works by introducing these good bacteria into their gut. If your dog has poor gut health, this can help fix their problems. At the same time, even if your dog isn’t necessarily having poor digestion, supporting their gut with a probiotic supplement can prevent problems in the future. Of course, their regular dog food is important too, which is why you should consider feeding an organic dog food.
Can I give my dog probiotics every day?
Most probiotic supplements are directed to be taken everyday. However, you should always check your supplement’s package for dosage information and follow the instructions accordingly.
Can a dog overdose on probiotics?
It is virtually impossible for your dog to overdose on probiotics. Probiotics are taken orally, so if your dog takes too much, the excess will simply pass through their gut and be expelled as waste. However, too many probiotics can upset your dog’s digestion instead of helping it, but these ill effects will usually pass within a day or two.
Are human probiotics safe for dogs?
Human probiotics are not necessarily harmful to dogs. Many of them contain the same bacteria strands as dog probiotics contain. However, many dog probiotics also contain strains that are specific to canines, while human supplements might contain bacteria specific to humans. It likely won’t harm your dog to give them a human probiotic supplement, but it won’t likely be as effective as giving them one for dogs in particular.
Pet Naturals of Vermont
If you’re looking for something a little more budget friendly, Pet Naturals of Vermont is a great choice. This daily formula contains both prebiotics and probiotics to support gut health. It is designed to help with gassiness, bad breath, and elimination problems. If you need something to help your pet get regular, this is a wonderful option. It even promotes a healthy coat and can improve your pet’s immune system. It is specifically recommended for pets who suffer from environmental, breed-specific, or anxiety-induced digestive issues. This probiotic is also useful for those on antibiotics, since these medications can affect overall digestive health.
Free from corn, wheat, and artificial ingredients, this probiotic is suitable even for those who have sensitive stomachs or are allergic to a variety of ingredients. Each bottle contains 160 chews, so you’re really getting your money’s worth. Each chew is designed to be delicious in order to entice your dog to eat them. They’re designed to look and taste like treats.
This formula relies on GanedenBC30, one of the most effective probiotic strains for dogs. Each dosage contains 100 million CFUs, which should be enough for most pets. However, you will notice that this count is decently lower than some of our other top picks. So, if your pet has extreme digestive issues, you might want to invest in a high-quality probiotic instead. However, for the average dog, this probiotic will be plenty.
- Daily probiotic includes Prebiotics to support a gut environment where probiotic cultures and colonies can thrive.
- Probiotics may help with gassiness, flatulence, bad breath and elimination issues in pets. A daily probiotic can also promote a healthy coat, digestive regularity and general immune system support.
- Recommended for dogs that suffer environmental, breed specific digestive issues, nervous digestive issues or those that are currently on an antibiotic.
- Daily probiotic is free of corn, wheat and artificial ingredients that may cause stomach upset. Each bottle contains 160 duck flavored chews.
- All pet Natural’s of Vermont products are manufactured in the USA and distributed from our offices in the Green Mountains of Vermont.
- 160 tasty chews in a bottle
- Features CanedenBC30
- 100 million CFUs per chew
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics
- 2 a day keeps the hot spot away!
- Affordable help for intestinal distress in our dog
- Minor miracle!
- Picky Mini Yorkie Approved
- Dog loves them! Get them with subscription!
Bayer Animal Health Lactoquil Soft Chews for Dogs
The Bayer Animal Health Lactoquil Soft Chews for Dogs features a special formula of live, probiotic bacteria. It contains nine different strains, making it the perfect choice for pet owners who have not had success with other probiotics. Every pet is different and responds to different probiotic strains differently. Having a probiotic with multiple strains in it is vital to increase the odds that it will work for your dog. This formula also contains the prebiotic inulin, which provides a food source for the probiotics and leads to long-lasting results.
This probiotic is specifically recommended for dogs undergoing stress, dietary changes, hospitalization, antibiotic treatments, deworming, older dogs, or canines with food sensitivities. However, if your canine is experiencing regular digestive upset, this probiotic is a good place to start. There is no age minimum or maximum for this product; it is appropriate for dogs of all ages.
The soft chews make this probiotic supplement very easy to give. Each bottle contains 75 chews that are designed to be given like a treat. All dogs under 60 pounds need one chew, while dogs over 60 pounds will need two. For most small and medium dogs, that means one box will last over two months.
- Daily Probiotic Soft Chew Supplement For Dogs: Promotes intestinal well-being and helps maintain a healthy balance in dogs with ongoing or recurring GI issues
- Digestive And Immune System Benefits: Approximately 70% of the immune system is found in the digestive tract, a key reason why maintaining a healthy GI tract is important
- Special Formulation: Includes a nine-strain formulation of live, probiotic bacteria and the prebiotic inulin, a type of fiber that supports the good bacteria in the gut
- Addressing GI Imbalance: Use Lactoquil probiotics daily for dogs experiencing dietary changes or indiscretions, stress from boarding, traveling or hospitalization, dogs undergoing antibiotic therapy or deworming, or older dogs
- Easy To Administer: Lactoquil chicken-flavored soft chews are appropriate for dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds for ongoing, digestive health support.
- Nine-strain formula
- Appropriate for dogs of all ages
- Earned the National Animal Supplement Council Quality Seal
- Contains the prebiotic inulin
- Finally! Fixed my dogs’ problems with soft stool and gas.
- Great Product for sensitive tummies and GI issues.
- Thank you Bayer for leading the industry in quality supplements.
- This helped my dog’s digestive system work
Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Dog Probiotic Supplement
After some discussion, the Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Dog Probiotic Supplement pushed its way to the top as the best dog probiotic supplement you can buy. It contains probiotics scientifically proven to promote and restore natural intestinal microflora, which boosts your pet’s immune system and can help settle their digestion.
Not all probiotics are made equal. If you’re looking for a top-quality dog probiotic that is scientifically proven to work, the Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Dog Probiotic Supplement is for you. This box of probiotic supplements contains 30 packets of probiotics, which is approximately a month’s supply. There are no complicated dosing instructions – just pour a packet into your dog’s food and you’re good to go. It contains a probiotic that is proven to promote intestinal microflora, which can help your pet’s immune system and digestion. Due to the special proprietary microencapsulation process, the formula inside each packet is incredibly stable and a guaranteed number of live active cultures.
Customers loved that this probiotic gets real, tangible results. Many were surprised by how easily some of their pet’s problems faded away by just supplementing their diet with this probiotic. This stuff works wonders for many dogs and is many veterinarian’s go-to probiotic. However, some customers did report that their particularly picky dogs would not eat the product after it was added to their food. If your dog is very picky, that might be something you want to keep in mind.
- One (1) 30-Count Box – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Dog Supplement, Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement
- #1 probiotic recommended by veterinarians (Kynetec, Probiotic Recommendation Study, March 2019)
- Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of puppies and adult dogs with diarrhea
- Contains a probiotic to promote normal intestinal microflora
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability. Calorie Content (FED)- 4 kcal/packet
- Contains a probiotic proven to promote normal intestinal microflora
- Easy to feed
- Enhanced stability
- Happy pup!
- Like the other reviewers, I highly recommend this product.
- This is the only product I have ever tried that keeps my dog in good shape.
- This worked! I saw improvement in two days!
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs
Some dogs are just picky. They hardly eat most of the treats you purchase for them, and absolutely refuse to try chewy supplements – even those that look and taste like treats. If this sounds like your dog, you might want to give Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs a chance. It is a tasteless powder that dispenses in seconds. You can hardly see it and your dog will not be able to detect its presence, effectively eliminating the drama that comes with feeding them other supplements. All it takes is a tiny scoop each day to keep yoru dog health. No need to mess with pill packets or try to convince your dog to eat a “treat”.
This probiotic contains two million CFUs per scoop and many different species of bacteria. It contains nearly twenty-two different, carefully selected species and an enzyme for gassiness. Like our previous pick, this one is good for dogs who don’t respond to the probiotic strains usually found in probiotic supplements. There are plenty of bacteria species in this product, so at least one is bound to work for your dog.
- Don’t Be Fooled – many products contain just one species and as little as 1/20th as much active ingredient of our product. Ours contains two billion CFUs/scoop, while the “leading brand” contains just a hundred million CFUs per packet….and only 30 packets.
- None Of The Bad Stuff – Don’t fall for Chinese-made dog probiotics or products using sugar, grain maltodextrins or even “animal digest” (look it up) as their base. We spend more to give you a base of pure prebiotic inulin. Many people take inulin as a daily supplement. We chose it for your dog’s health (and so we can sleep at night.)
- Easily-Dispensed Powder Eliminates Choking Risk – Stop forcing huge tablets down your best friend’s throat! Our tasteless powder dispenses in seconds. Your pup won’t even know it’s there, quietly making him healthier with every meal.
- More Species – Most of our competitors just slap a label on some random manufacturer’s off the shelf, single-species product. But we custom-formulate our product with twenty-two carefully selected species plus an enzyme for gassiness. Then we manufacture it in small batches so it’s fresh.
- Made In Usa – Made in the USA from 100% USA-sourced ingredients, Pet Ultimates Probiotics is formulated to address a broad spectrum of issues.
- Two billion CFUs per scoop
- 22 species and an enzyme for gas
- Contains the prebiotic inulin
- Tasteless powder
- dangerous gas-leak repaired!
- Seems to work well for yeasty skin irritations
- A probiotic that prevents impacted anal glands in dogs
- No more Anal Gland problems for us!
- AMAZING PRODUCT! I WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT IT!
Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs
The Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs is loaded with over 3 million CFU of prebiotics and probiotics, providing complete digestive coverage. They’re a wonderful choice for canines struggling with gas, bloating, and overall stomach discomfort. Each tasty chew contains Ganeden BC30 – a probiotic strain that can withstand stomach acid and promotes healthy digestion and gut bacteria. It also includes On top of probiotics, this product also contains pumpkin and papaya. These ingredients can help the stomach break down antioxidants, further preventing stomach discomfort and gas. Designed for dogs of all ages, this probiotic is effective for all canines, whether they’re puppies, adults, or seniors.
This probiotic supplement is manufactured in an FDA-registered facility that is NSF and GMP certified, so you can be sure they meet the highest safety standards. Their chewable design makes it easy to give to your canines. Many will eat the tablets like their treats, taking a lot of the fuss out of giving your dog the daily dose.
- No More Tummy Troubles – Zesty Paws Probiotic Bites contain 3 billion CFU of Prebiotics and Probiotics to helps dogs with gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, and stomach discomfort.
- Featuring GanedenBC30 – These soft chews include GanedenBC30, a premium Bacillus Coagulans probiotic that withstands stomach acid as it reaches the intestines to aid digestion, flora, and gut bacteria.
- Natural Enzymes & Fiber – These daily dog chew treats contain Papaya for digestive enzyme support, plus Pumpkin as a fiber and prebiotic source to help motility and bowel movement for your canine.
- Immunity & Allergy Support – This pet supplement is vital for any doggy with a weak immune system, hot spots, allergies, and even bad breath due to poor digestion. Fido will love the benefits!
- Bark Goodbye To Discomfort – These grain free chewable treats give canine pets max quality anti-diarrhea and bloat support to digest easy and boost wellness for any puppy, adult, or senior doggie.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics
- Designed for dogs of all ages
- 3 billion total CFU per chew
- Features pumpkin and papaya
- No more vomiting!
- Impressive! Solved Breath & Anal Gland Issues
- These are the best probiotics I’ve found for my dogs
- Effective, enjoyable and works like the prescription
- Does what it says!!
- Don’t waste your money on any other brand
We hope you found our Best Dog Probiotic Review Guide For 2022-2023 helpful.