Best Dog Life Vest Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Dog Life Vest Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Whether your pooch is a swimming pro or a bit of a scared swimmer, he needs the right gear so that he can enjoy the water as much as possible! Even if you don’t intend to take him swimming it is still important to teach him how to, as it is estimated that around 10,000 dogs die in America every year from drowning alone.
So whether you like to go out on the water, either on your boat or paddleboard, you like a dip in your local lake every now and then, or even if you have a swimming pool in your backyard, trust us (and the figures!) when we say that your pooch needs a life jacket in his life!
There are so many life jackets to choose from, which is why we have whittled them down to just a select few, and not only are they the very best around, we will talk you through exactly why they are the best! Best Dog Life Vest Review Guide For 2022-2023 will also guide you through exactly what to look out for in a high quality life jacket, so you’ll know you’ve found the perfect fit.
Best Dog Life Vest Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
There are several factors you should consider before buying a life jacket for your dog. This might be your first time buying a life jacket, or maybe you have already bought one but it just isn’t up to the job, so you need to know what important features to look out for. The following features are the non-negotiables of a life jacket, so if it doesn’t have the following, then move on!
Of course, this is the most important feature to consider, because without buoyancy a life jacket would be quite pointless! There are several different life jacket designs, and the flotation units are placed on different areas of the jacket; some jackets have under belly floatation, some have them on the back, and some have them on the sides. Some jackets use them all and some employ a mixture, and some jackets also offer neck support which helps to support his head. Dependent on your dog’s ability or needs, you might want a particular design, but for those who are new to the water, an under-belly flotation design offers much more buoyancy.
It is important that the life jacket offers adjustable straps or points of some sort, because whilst your pooch might fall within a certain size bracket, not all dogs who find themselves in the same size bracket are the same shape. If you cannot achieve a customizable fit for him then he might not be able to move his legs freely to swim, or it may just slip off whilst in the water, so you need to find the fit right for him.
A handle is an important safety feature on a life safety jacket for two reasons. Firstly, it is important that you can grab hold of your dog in the water, just in case of an emergency. Secondly, if you are teaching your pooch to swim for the first time, or if he has never worn a jacket before, then holding the handle when you first take him into the water will give him that extra bit of stability. Not only will he be more likely to take to the water or his jacket quicker, but it will also allow you to guide him to the exit points of the water, which will increase his confidence massively.
Most life jackets come in bright colors, such as yellow and orange, which is another important safety feature as it allows you to spot him easier against the dark color of water. Many life jackets also have some sort of reflective material on them, be that in trimming, patches or stitching, as this helps to see your pooch in the water when visibility is not that great. So, if you like an early morning or late night swim, you will be able to see him clearly!
There are other important features to look out for too, such as security and durability, and these things are normally found in high quality life jackets that are well made. Whilst buying the most expensive life jacket doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the best around, spending slightly more than the average life jacket generally means that it is much better quality than a cheap and flimsy jacket. So, if you want it to last longer than a few swims, be sure to look for a high quality life jacket, which now brings us onto our chosen ones!
Dog Life Vests FAQs
Why should I buy a dog life vest for my fur baby?
As a parent to a fur baby, it’s your responsibility to ensure their safety in every situation. When boating or swimming in open waters, it is necessary to wear the right gear, irrespective of how much of a good swimmer they are.
Using life vests mitigates the risk of drowning and increases their visibility in water with a strong current. Basically, it is a personal floating device that your mutt requires to stay afloat. It fits them around the torso and back region to avoid in-water accidents.
Typically, life vests are used in emergency situations, but they also work well for weak swimmers. The buoyant pockets in and around the vest assist your fur baby while swimming without limiting their movement.
How do I ensure I’m getting the right size for my mutt?
The first step to ensure your dog’s safety is to get him a life vest, but if it doesn’t fit well, it’s useless. You should have accurate measurements to ensure the vest fits perfectly.
Typically, manufacturers have size charts that you can use to determine the correct size. However, it is advisable to measure your dog’s torso and neck circumference and back length.
You can also check the back label to make sure the vest is suitable for your dog’s breed, as each is shaped differently. Make sure the vest you’re buying has customized fitting at all angles for proper fitting.
Additionally, your pooch’s body weight matters as it affects the buoyancy of the vest. The heavier your dog is, the greater the buoyancy is required.
I am going on a rowing expedition; will my dog require a life vest even on the boat?
A quick reminder: despite common knowledge that dogs are great swimmers, not all are naturally built for it. Even specific breeds for swimming, like Labradors, can get into an accident. Thus, life vests are necessary for open waters and pools for additional protection.
Just the way you will be wearing a life jacket, you mutt will also need a vest to keep itself protected. It will be all the more important if this is the first time your dog is going in water.
In an emergency situation, your dog may not be very efficient at stay afloat due to increased panic; hence, a life vest can help them keep their head above the water.
Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket Vest
Paws Abroad is a great option for small dogs due to lightweight, durable construction. Its intricate design also doesn’t look too bulky on poodles and pups. Typically, life vests use a great deal of padding to stay buoyant and end up being too large for little pooches.
However, that is not the case with Paws Abroad, which is made of HD Neoprene for durable yet comfortable wear. Its Velcro straps securely fasten around the neck and belly region. For fast and easy wear, the life vest features quick-release buckles and adjustable nylon straps.
With its six different sizing options, you’re sure to find an incredibly comfortable and snuggly fit for your canine. The vest is lightweight, flexible and buoyant enough for small and medium-sized dogs.
Its low-profile design ensures non-restrictive movement and flexible use for smooth swimming. The top-grab ensures maximum safety and easy pull without the chances of tearing off. The reflective trims offer enhanced visibility while the D-ring gives you maximum control.
- Choose The Rite Size – Measuring Body Girth is critical for getting the best fit. Do not approximate or guess! Before placing your order, please measure your dog’s Body Girth at the widest point, behind their front legs. Use our Blue Sizing Chart and pick the right size. If your pet falls between two sizes, we advise ordering the larger of the two.
- Keep Your Furriest Mate Safe – Vibrant colors and reflective strips increase visibility of your playful pooch day and night. Our dog life vest is equipped with a top rescue handle for a quick and easy grab on the go.
- Quality Materials – This Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket is made of quick-dry, breathable neoprene fabrics and the right amount buoyancy. Lightweight, flexible materials allow a wide range of motion for all-day comfort. Perfect for dogs and owners who love water sports!
- Fashion Forward – Perfect for your fashionable first mate, this life jacket combines a stylish silhouette with premium neoprene materials and bold awesome colors and patterns.
- Advanced,Breathable Mesh Underbelly – Unlike traditional life jackets, which can cause chafing and heat exhaustion, the Paws Aboard advanced design features a breathable mesh underbelly that allows for proper water drainage and drying to provide your dog greater comfort and healthier conditions. Adjustable collar and the velcro secured mesh underbelly create a custom fit for all breeds and body shape.
- Various sizes and color range
- Ideal for small dogs
- Dries off quickly
- HD Velcro fastening system
- Not buoyant enough for large dogs
- Unsuitable for dogs with long furs
Outward Hound Dawson Swim Life Jacket for Dogs
Outward Hound Dawson Life Jacket is our best topic for its all-round performance. It features durable construction and premium-quality materials that are flexible, comfortable, and visible.
Made for intermediate swimmers, the vest uses neoprene to offer ample buoyance and help your dog stay afloat. Additionally, the foam panels and front float effectively mitigate the risk of drowning.
It consists of dual top-grab handles for added convenience and safety. You can easily spot your mutt wearing this brightly colored life jacket paired with reflective strips for increased visibility. Equipped with an adjustable strap, the life jacket provides a snuggly, secure fit. Its low-profile design impedes the chances of restricted movement.
- Novice-swimmer Friendly: Made with high-quality neoprene side panels for comfortable buoyancy in water and thermal insulation, this dog life jacket will keep your pup safe, secure, and warm while testing out new waters!
- Swim With Safety: The Outward Hound Dawson Swim Life Jacket is designed with bright colors and reflective accents to provide better visibility while swimming. A front float support helps keep your dog’s head above water whether they’re a novice or experienced swimmer.
- Dual Rescue -Handle Design: Dual grab handles provide easy access to rescue and restraint dog while swimming.
- Sizing Based On Girth: Dogs come in all shapes and sizes so whether your dog is short and stout or long and lanky, there’s a Dawson Swim Life Jacket fit for them. Available in sizes extra-small to extra-large, we’ve made it easy for you to choose a size that supports them based on their girth measurement.
- Play It Safe: No pet accessory is indestructible. Do not leave with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace if damaged.
- Front floating pocket
- Available in 3 different colors
- Quality materials
- Dual rescue handles
- Comes in different sizes
- Novice-swimmer friendly
- Handle seams wear off on continuous use
Queenmore Dog Life Jacket
Made with premium quality oxford fabric, polyfoam filling, and mesh lining, it is the most robust life vest. The sturdy handles offer a strong grip when pulling the dog out of high current water. This makes the rescue process quick and safe.
For ample control on dry land, the jacket features a heavy-duty D-ring to connect the leash. Therefore, if you love spending time in the water but need maximum safety for your pup, Queenmore is packed with all the right accessories.
The funky fishtail at the back adds an appealing touch to the overall design and thus maneuvers your dog into keeping it on for long hours. The materials are water-resistant and provide quick drying. The adjustable straps with quick-release buckles and magic stickers provide secure fastening and snuggly fit. Its polyfoam filling provides excellent buoyancy in the neck, belly, and back region as an effective flotation solution for all dogs.
- Waterproof & Secure Material: Make of high quality oxford cloth and polyethylene foam, an advanced breathable mesh lining underbelly for proper cleaning and drying fast, offers the maximum comfort and warmth.
- Features: Adjustable nylon straps, quick release buckles, heavy duty yet more comfortable magic sticker fastening system around the belly and neck to keep securely fastened, assure size fit specifically for dog’s chest, belly and neck.
- Durable Grabbing Handle: Strong, low-profile handle on top for quick and easy grabbing. Durable D-ring hook for leash on back is convenient for a leash to control your dog from running away.
- Safe Pet Dog Life Jacket: Reflective accents and bright safety colors to enhance visibility when your beloved pets swim under water. Also, Our secure float foam can support your dog swimming without tired feeling greatly.
- Perfect Buoyancy And Security: Pet Life Jacket showcases a flotation solution to all water sport activities for dogs. Neck, belly and back float provides your dog outstanding buoyancy and security.
- Funky design
- Premium quality
- Robust construction
- Magic sticker fastening
- Maximum flotation
- Unsuitable for dogs with a big chest size
Kurgo Dog Water Life Jacket
The Kurgo Surf n’ Turf life jacket is the best multipurpose vest to keep your mutt safe in every wet environment, be it a beach or a boat. If you want a jacket that is comfortable enough for all-day wear and works as raincoat too, then Kurgo is your safest bet.
Made out of ripstop material, the jacket offers excellent durability and lifetime use. Although made of tough materials, the jacket is unsuitable for deep waters due to limited buoyance. It features a detachable floatation layer for dual-purpose use as a life vest and rain jacket. You can find five different sizes paired with adjustable straps and two quick-release handles for convenient use.
These handles are durable enough that they even let you pull large dogs without ripping from the bodice. The bright colored collection keeps your dog visible even at a long distance, while reflective trims are great for nighttime visibility. Its D-ring lets you efficiently connect the leash.
Moreover, every Kurgo product is backed with a lifetime warranty ensuring premium-quality of the materials. It allows hassle-free claims on manufacturing defects when the item is purchased from authorized dealers.
- Doubles as Dog Jacket and Raincoat – This 2 season coat can be used as a life vest to assist your dog when in water or on a boat, and as a raincoat by removing floatation layer
- 2 Control Handles – Dog jacket has 2 transverse handles for quick control to extract dog from water when needed; life vest for dogs is made of rugged ripstop material to withstand rough use
- Reflective Trim for Visibility – Bright colored life vest is visible from farther distances and has reflective trim for night time visibility; has 2 metal D-rings for leash connections; includes attached bottle opener
- Size & Fit – Size X-Large fits dogs with 35 to 45 inch girth, 28 to 36 inch neck; refer to Kurgo Size Chart for all size details.
- Committed to Quality – Product includes hassle-free Kurgo lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects when purchased new from authorized dealer. For questions, please contact Kurgo customer service at 877-847-3868.
- Durable materials
- Multipurpose use
- Adjustable construction
- Highly visible
- Leash and bottle opener connections
- Sturdy dual handles
- Limited buoyance
- Inadequate flotation for small dogs
- Unsuitable for deep-sea or strong current waves
RUFFWEAR K9 Float Coat
If you and your canine are water-lovers, then you need a life jacket that can withstand the test of time. It should also keep your dog comfortable after hours of wear, and therefore, we picked the RUFFWEAR K9 Float Coat as a runner-up.
Its simple yet functional design allows you to quickly clip the jacket on to your fur baby without wasting time. Made of abrasion-resistant material, RUFFWEAR is durable and long-lasting. Its strategically placed foam panels assist your dog swim like a pro.
Featuring Nexus Airloc buckles, the adjustable straps securely stay in place. The telescopic neck fitting works well for dogs of all sizes. Available in a wide range of sizes, the life jacket perfectly fits most canines.
The durable rescue handle lets you assist your pooch in climbing the boat without much effort. Its water-compatible webbing ensures stability even in wet environments. The reflective trimming offers low-light visibility while the integrated light loop allows you to attach beacon light for added safety.
- Canine Life Vest: A life jacket designed just for dogs; Ideal for rafting, kayaking, boating, surfing, paddle boarding and swimming
- Easy Swimming: Strategically placed closed-cell foam panels let your dog swim naturally and support an upright position; Strong, low-profile handle on the back to help dogs out of the water
- Adjustable Fit: Telescoping neck closure adjusts to fit different shapes and attaches securely in place; Easy-to-clip buckles firmly hold straps
- Durable Webbing: Water-compatible webbing maintains stability in wet environments
- Reflective Trim: Low-light visibility for additional safety; Integrated light loop for attaching The Beacon light (sold separately)
- Increased visibility
- Abrasion-resistant material
- Designed for dogs who spend most of their time in the water
- Water-resistant webbing
- Additional beacon light option
- Unsuitable for dogs with a wide chest size
- Only for expert swimmers
Although life vests are ideal for keeping your dog afloat, it still requires some common sense for safe usage. This will reduce the chances of accidents and injuries while letting you and your pup have some fun time in the water.
Firstly, you need to get your pup used to wear the life vest. It is better to start a few days before your water retreat activity. Ideally, you should make him wear one in a swimming pool as it is less prone to accidents. Reward your mutt with treats and playtime as he adapts to its use.
Once you have strapped the vest on your mutt, make sure it’s tight enough. However, it shouldn’t bite into the skin and cause discomfort while also restricting its movement. Conversely, if it’s too loose, the vest can easily slip off or entangle, while swimming.
Lastly, you should ensure that the life vest is used for its intended purpose. Some cute, funky vests are designed for swimming pools only while the more durable and buoyant ones are for deep sea.
No matter how safe the life vest is, your fur baby should never be left unsupervised when swimming. It ensures your dog wouldn’t drift into potentially hazardous terrains. We hope you found our Best Dog Life Vest Review Guide For 2022-2023 helpful.