Best Dog Bike Trailer Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Dog Bike Trailer Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Undoubtedly, one of the most common questions we get from readers is our opinion on which pet bike trailer we recommend. There are a lot available on the market to suit different needs with varying price ranges and qualities. Hopefully this Best Dog Bike Trailer Review Guide For 2022-2023 will help you choose the best dog bike trailer for your adventures.
Best Dog Bike Trailer Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Questions to Ask Before Buying a Dog Bicycle Trailer:
- How often will you use the trailer?
- How long do you plan to use the trailer?
- What size is your dog? Is it a large dog?
- What is your budget?
- Is durability important to you?
- What type of roads or terrain will you be riding?
- Will you use it as a dog carrier too?
How to Choose a Dog Bike Trailer:
Sit down and really consider what kind of riding you will be doing. Think about the terrain and the climate. Consider your dog’s comfort level.
This section outlines what we believe are the most important features for a dog bike trailer. Above all, you want a high-quality, durable item that will handle the sort of adventures you have in mind.
Biking with a pet bike trailer significantly alters the way you ride your bike. It takes a few spins to get used to the feeling.
A few things to keep in mind:
- You have to take wide corners
- Acceleration takes a bit of effort
- Cruising downhill is like towing a parachute
- Pedaling uphill feels like, well, like you’re towing a trailer
- The weight of your dog, bike, and trailer will all affect the handling, so depending on how you plan to use the trailer, choose accordingly.
Some dog bike trailers are made of mesh panels for breathability, while others are made from a more solid fabric. Mesh can be more prone to tearing if your dog tends to scratch, but allows fresh air to flow through the trailer.
Also consider the material of the frame as well. Aluminum frames are lighter, yet less durable than steel frames.
Steel weighs more than aluminum, but can be easily welded back together if it breaks. Additionally, steel can handle more weight, which is important if you have a large dog.
We recommend avoiding plastic frames as they’re inexpensive and easily break.
As with most gear, you get what you pay for. A high quality dog bike trailer can last thousands of miles, whereas a less expensive one may fail easily.
Things to look out for include:
- Materials – aluminum and steel vs plastic
- Wheels – are the spokes made from plastic or aluminum? Plastic wheels are done if they break, but spokes can be replaced.
- Skewers – Are they easy to remove?
- Tires – What is the likelihood of getting a flat on the factory tires? (We always replace our tires with Marathon Schwalbe (20” X 1.75”) (we had just 3 flats over the whole trip).
- Take a look at bike trailer reviews online to get an idea of the durability of the various options.
Some dog bicycle trailers come with suspension, which we found infinitely useful cycling over gravel roads in South America.
If you stick to roads and paved bike paths, then you can forgo the suspension. Many bike trailers can handle some bumpy terrain even without suspension.
Suspension softens the impact of riding on rough or bumpy terrain. The trade off is heavier trailer, but your pup will feel considerably more comfortable on rocky roads.
We highly recommend considering buying a trailer with a warranty. If you’re unsure how your dog will handle the trailer, or if it ends up collecting dust in the garage, it’s not a bad idea to have some added protection.
We love REI’s generous return policy which allows returns for up to one year after purchase.
Size / Weight:
The size of the trailer you need depends on the size of your dog, of course. If you’ve got a large dog, you’ll want a large dog bike trailer.
Measure their length, width, and height and compare the interior dimensions to make sure they will be comfortable in their rig.
REI carries many of the trailers listed in this guide. We suggest stopping by to test the fit before committing to a purchase.
For a small dog, you’ll want to maximize the interior space for your pup while keeping weight at a minimum.
Some pet bike trailers come with separately-sold attachments that enable use for other sports.
Many include a wheel and handle to use as a stroller or jogger, which comes in very handy if your dog has surgery or an injury or if you just want to continue the adventures with your senior dog.
Others come with ski attachments, so if you would like to pull your dog for a change, then you can!
Other Important Features:
- Safety Flag: A tall safety flag is not necessary, but nice to have for riding in urban settings or on busy roads.
- Brake System: some trailers have a hand break, which can come in handy when you are stopped on a hill and want to take some of the pressure off the load.
- Rain Covers: It will rain at some point if you plan to bike tour with your dog. Make sure to get a trailer that includes rain protection.
- Pockets: Interior pockets keep dog gear organized and prevent your dog from swimming in a sea of water bowls, treats, and other gear in the trailer.
- Entrance: Consider whether the trailer is designed for kids or specifically for dogs. The entrance will differ.
The entry point for pets is located in the back or above so there is more space for your pet to enter compared to kids trailers where the entrance faces the back of the bike.
- Visibility: Bright colors are easier to see on the road, alerting drivers that you’re carrying special cargo. Also, choose a trailer that includes a spot to snap on a red blinky light if night falls mid-ride.
The Thule Chariot Cross Sport Stroller is our top dog bike trailer pick for durability, value, and for use for off-road adventures and multi-sports.
Burley Honey Bee
When the Burley Honey Bee is converted from a walking to cycling configuration, its ergonomic handle becomes a roll bar for extra protection in the event of a mishap. The rear cargo area has ample storage for toys and other supplies needed for your next outdoor adventure.
- A parking brake
- Stays upright if your bike tips over
- Seats need additional padding
- Fantastic as a double jogging stroller! In love with this thing.
- High Quality Construction
- It is incredibly easy to push and steer even one handed
- I’ve pushed it while also holding an umbrella- easy peasy.
- The mesh screen and plastic cover are nice.
Thule Chariot Cheetah XT
The Thule Chariot Cheetah XT consists of a lightweight, narrow, and sturdy aluminum frame that is very easy to control. When secured around both the shoulders and waist, its padded five-point harness provides a child with comfort and support.
- Lightweight carrier makes for easier use
- Aerodynamic design enhances multi-sport capabilities
- HeightRight adjustable handlebar for parent’s comfort
- Refreshed design with blue touchpoints for intuitive operation
- Includes bicycle trailer kit and strolling kit
- Blue touch points for quick setup
- Front and rear reflectors
- Uv-protected windows
- Very, very happy!
- This was very easy to assemble, seems like good quality
- Best Buy ever!
- Smooth and safe ride
- This was so easy to assemble, very easy to breakdown, and incredibly light! Great for running and biking!
- This is an amazing carrier.
The retractable 2-in-1 canopy on the Schwinn Joyrider makes it look like a cross between an accordion and a pill bug. Despite that nontraditional appearance, the practical design serves as an insect screen and weather shield to protect your kids from the harsh elements.
- Take your loved ones with you everywhere with this Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer which features aluminum/steel frame construction for a safer, lightweight ride
- Stand up to the elements with a 2-in-1 canopy which includes a bug screen and a weather shield, so you can protect your little passengers from weather that won’t cooperate
- It’s 20-inch quick release wheels and folding frame makes preparing for your next adventure and storing your trailer both hassle free
- Included is a Schwinn Universal Coupler making it easy to attach the trailer to just about any bicycle out there
- The bicycle trailer ships ready to be assembled, has a 1 year limited warranty, and fits 2 children up to 40 pounds each along with 12 extra pounds of storage
- Accommodates two children
- Comes with a universal coupler
- Cloth floor is rather flimsy
- The Schwinn Joyrider was very easy to set up and required little tools.
- If the bike falls on it’s side the trailer does not move!
- Ease of opening and closing the canopy for entry and exit.
- Bench seat and cushion, it is very comfortable
Burley D’Lite X
Designed for convenience and luxury, the Burley D’Lite X offers a combination of reclining seats that lock into any of three positions, large tinted side windows for panoramic viewing, and built-in dual headrests that support your sleepy little passengers during a trip.
- Independent recline offers maximum seating customization with 3-positions of adjustment for both passengers
- Quick Receivers deliver easy installation or removal of the tow bar and conversion kits when it’s time for a different adventure
- Adjustable suspension dials in the smoothest ride for all conditions and terrains
- Premium 20” wheels offer a wider, more aggressive tread with modern reflective taping
- Included 1-Wheel Stroller Kit enhances use with a quick transition from biking to strolling out of the box
- Premium Seat Pads include a headrest for added comfort, and are removable for easy cleaning. Headrest keeps sleepy riders comfortable in a supported position
- Skid Guard with integrated reflectors protects the trailer
- Elegant and stylish
- Tow bar is easy to attach
- None At This Time
- We love this trailer!!
- Goes together and folds/transports very easy
- Great quality, easy to use
- Used several times already and our family loves it.
- The price tag is steep, but SO worth it.
Thule Chariot Cross Sport
Perfect for families with an active lifestyle, the Thule Chariot Cross Sport features a patented Versa Wing system that allows for easy conversion between biking, jogging, strolling, and skiing modes. A built-in rear light provides visibility at night.
- An all-in one stroller, jogger, bike trailer and ski pulk designed for active families
- Includes strolling and biking kits (jogging and ski kits sold separately)
- Compact fold makes it easy to transport and store
- One-handed recline for naps on the go (seats recline independently)
- Adjustable suspension ensures a smooth ride
- Comfortable padded seats are easy to remove and clean
- XL cargo space can be stored away to increase kick stride while jogging
- Seats recline independently
- Adjustable leaf spring suspension
- Relatively easy to clean
- None At This Time
- This thing is amazing. Super light and agile, best double stroller out.
- It’s gorgeous!
- The highest quality out there.
- Amazing! Secure and safe.
- Super easy assembly out of the box.
- It took about 10 minutes to assemble.
- The Thule Chariot Sport Stroller is very versatile, with a 4 in 1 use.
That said, every trailer on this list is a completely viable alternative if you want to go with a different brand. We selected the top dog bike trailers to suit a variety of experiences and levels of riders. Any selection here would make a fine choice. We hope you found our Best Dog Bike Trailer Review Guide For 2022-2023 helpful.