Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Review Guide For 2023-2024 – Every dog needs a place to lay their head, but large dogs require a little bit more. When you are trying to find a bed for your extra-large canine, it can be hard to find something suitable.
Most dog beds are made for average-sized dogs, so there is a need to look at some specialty products. With this in mind, we will look at six of the best dog beds for large dogs.
We will examine the pros and cons before explaining the principles by which you should choose such a bed. To find out even more keep reading our Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Review Guide For 2023-2024.
Laifug Orthopedic Memory Foam Extra Large Dog Bed – Best Orthopedic Amazon’s Choice
This one looks a lot like a mattress, and that should help your dog to feel a little bit more human. Of course, the main selling point of this product is not its shape, but its’ orthopedic properties. This bed is made entirely of memory foam, and it is neither too firm nor too soft.
The cover is very well designed, as it is waterproof, pretty tough, and machine washable. Since that cover is the part that takes the most damage, this is a significant upside. The manufacturer claims that this bed will hold its shape for at least three years.
We only see a couple of problems here. The shape of this bed makes it easy to fit into a corner, but it isn’t really suited to the way in which most dogs sleep.
The bed is longer than it is wide, which is great for humans but not so good for dogs. Still, it will depend on your dog’s preferences as to whether or not they will like this bed.
- Laifug dog bed exclusive design, Double Pillow Smart Design
- Smart Design: High 3″ Pillow and 1.8″ Pillow to PET Head Neck to Provide Maximum Comfort Support security
- Orthopedic Memory Foam:30D Super Soft Foam and 45D Memory Foam. Provide Maximum Comfort Support. Won’t flatten. The famous Laifug foam will retain at least 90% of its shape support for the next 3 years
- Cover Design Waterproof liner: Custom fabric:100% Microfiber cover(210g).Water resistant tear resistant cover. Removable cover is machine washable. Soft to the touch. Simple to spot clean remove hair. Tumble dry on Gentle setting
- Extra Large Bed 50″L x 36″W x 10″H dimensions for dogs 200 pounds and under. Laifug foam bed will become your pets favorite sleeping spot
- Good orthopedic support
- Cover is waterproof and machine washable
- Fits conveniently in a corner
- Guaranteed to keep its shape for 3 years
- Long, but not very wide
- A little bit expensive
Suede Dog Bed By Majestic Pet Products – Best With Bolsters
This is a circular bed, making it perfect for dogs who like to curl up in this way. As circular beds go, you couldn’t ask for much better than this. It is thickly stuffed and very plush. Most dogs seem to find it comfortable and will spend long periods resting in the middle.
Because of the thick padding and tall bolster, this is a natural choice for the winter. Your home is probably well-heated, but don’t forget that your dog spends most of their time near the floor.
The air is always a little colder there, but this bed should help somewhat. Speaking of the floor, that waterproof base can also be a real benefit to you and your dog.
The only bad thing we can say about this bed is the fact that it’s filled with cheap polyester stuffing. That stuff doesn’t hold its shape over the long haul, although it works well in the short term. At the same time, it helps that this bed is easily disassembled for cleaning, re-stuffing, or modification.
- Outside Dimensions: 52″L x 36″W, Inside Dimensions: 46″L x 30″W, Bolster: 14″H, Cushion: 10″H. Perfect for oversized dogs 70 – 110 lbs
- Waterproof Denier Base: Base of round bagel bed is made of waterproof 300/600 Denier for any unwanted accidents or spills
- Premium Materials: The dog bed is stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fil and is fully machine washable in an oversize washer on gentle; air dry
- Spine Support: Bolster on the pet beds allow for dogs to rest their head and to help straighten their spines
- Keeps a dog warm in the winter
- Very cushy and comforting
- Waterproof base
- Available in large and X-large
- Both pillows are easily removed for cleaning
- Not all dogs sleep like this
- Poly-fil doesn’t hold its shape very well
Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo – Best for Outdoor Amazon’s Choice
This one is almost like a hammock, but without the trees. It is just a metal frame with a stretched piece of canvas, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of this design. It is made of sturdy materials and looks very durable, yet it also seems to contain only the parts that are absolutely needed.
If you want a good travel bed for your large dog, this is not the wrong way to go. It’s easy to break this one down and store it, and its weight is minimal. For long-haired dogs in hotter climates, this bed will provide a comfortable resting spot that is well-ventilated and cool.
As for washing, this might be the easiest one we have seen. A few minutes with the garden hose should take care of things, and it will dry quickly in the sun.
Naturally, some dogs will have a problem with chewing on this fabric, so we don’t recommend it for all dogs.
Young pups, or others with a chewing problem, may find it to be a little too tempting. It would also be nice if this bed had some cushioning, but you can always toss a blanket on top for good measure.
- Off-the-ground bed design keeps your pet cool by increasing air flow from all sides
- Suspended platform provides added comfort by creating low-impact areas to pressure points and joints
- Fabric is made out of a breathable high density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric that helps eliminate hot spots; Portable design makes it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to Clean; Features a lightweight, yet strong powder-coated steel frame that is extremely durable for pets of all sizes
- The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo, Large, Brunswick Green
- Quite inexpensive
- Very lightweight and portable
- Great for hotter climates
- Strong yet minimal
- Can be easily washed with a hose
- No significant cushioning
- Some dogs will chew the fabric
Kuranda Dog Bed – Best For Chewers
This is another hammock-type bed, but it looks a little bit different. Instead of the thick canvas that was draped over choice number three, this one has a stretchy vinyl floor, much like a trampoline. In fact, small puppies will get a kick out of bouncing on this bed, adding a fun factor that most beds do not have.
Unlike the other platform bed on our list, this one has no easy way for the dog to chew. All of the edges are enclosed within the frame, so there isn’t much for them to grab. As a result, this bed is definitely a better choice for the problem chewer. The whole frame is made from aluminum, giving it both strength and increased portability.
We should mention that this bed is the most expensive one on the list. We can see that more care and detail went into its design, so this isn’t too surprising. Also, that 1-year warranty does relieve some of that sticker shock.
- High strength PVC frame supports up to 100 lbs. For heavier dogs, try the Kuranda All Aluminum Dog Bed or Bronze Aluminum Dog Bed. (NOTE: Walnut color bed not for outdoor use, we recommend our Almond color or Aluminum beds for outdoors).
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
- Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl is our most durable fabric. Its ideal for determined diggers and larger, heavier dogs. Its smooth surface is easy to clean. And great for outdoor use.
- 1 Year Warranty / Outside Dimensions: 44x27x9 / Fabric Area: 40×24
- More difficult to chew
- Sturdy yet lightweight aluminum frame
- Suited for indoor or outdoor use
- Easy to clean and dry
- 1-year warranty
- Might sag and touch the ground
- Most expensive bed on our list
Furhaven Pet Dog Bed – The Most Luxurious Amazon’s #1 Best Seller
This one seems to get very good reviews, and we can see plenty of reasons for that. It’s obviously designed with large dogs in mind, and is almost as wide as it is long. This squared shape is more suitable for the way in which most dogs sleep, and gives them more options in terms of sleeping position.
Because the bolster is only present on two sides, the dog can choose to use or ignore it as they see fit. They also tend to like the faux-fur surface combined with the memory foam underneath. This mixture of materials gives it both softness and firmness, and most dogs respond well to that. It’s also good for your dog’s joints to have good support of this kind.
The manufacturer does state that this bed is not suitable for dedicated chewers. The chances are that faux fur will be too appealing of a target, so this wouldn’t be a good one for puppies, either. We also find the warranty terms to be too restrictive, as it only covers beds that are bought directly from the company.
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The bolstered L-shaped corner sofa design promotes ultimate comfort and security, providing high-loft orthopedic cushion support as well as a super cozy nestling and burrowing space for dogs and cats
- SLEEP SURFACE: The main sleep surface is lined with cuddly soft, plush faux fur, while the supportive bolsters are wrapped in easy-care suede; both materials are gentle on noses and paws for enhanced snuggling and burrowing comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The solid orthopedic foam base is dense and thick for maximum loft and sturdy comfort, while the fluff-filled bolster railings support the neck, back, hips, and joints; both help to ease discomfort and encourage restful sleep
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Stone Gray; Jumbo Plus, 53″ x 42″ x 9.5″ (5″ Foam; Sleep Surface: Approx. 46.5″ x 36″)
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Espresso, Dark Sage, Stone Gray, and Marine Blue; it’s also available in Small, Medium, Large, Jumbo, and Jumbo Plus
- EASY CARE: The removable dog bed cover is completely machine washable for your convenience; for more specific washing instructions, please refer to the hang tag and/or seam label (if applicable)
- CUSTOMER ASSURANCE: The product comes with a 90-day limited coverage against material defects and may also qualify for our 60-day Worry-Free Program; restrictions apply: purchases from unauthorized 3rd-party resellers may not be covered by Furhaven
- NOT SUITABLE for pets with excessive teething or destructive chewing behavior
- Bolster can be used or ignored
- Very wide and spacious
- Soft faux-fur surface
- Memory foam core keeps its shape well
- Dark grey color hides stains
- Not meant for dedicated chewers
- Warranty terms are not great
Brindle Soft Memory Foam Dog Bed – Best for Crate
This one is a simple flat cushion. It has no gimmicks or special features to set it apart from the rest, but it does offer simple effectiveness with no tricks.
It’s just a flat cushion with a nice, thick covering. When you look at its size, you can tell that it’s designed for the largest dog breeds. The manufacturer mentions explicitly German Shepherds and Great Danes, so it should be good for just about any canine.
Whether by coincidence or design, this bed can fit in many standard dog crates, making it great for those long trips. That beautiful, strong cover is removable, which makes it easy to wash.
They even took the trouble of hiding the zipper so that dogs cannot tug it and pull things loose. That 3-year warranty is also very nice.
Although this is advertised as a memory-foam bed, you should probably know that it isn’t made from a solid piece. Instead, it is filled with shredded memory foam, allowing it to collapse more than a solid piece would do.
This does make it easier to roll up for travel, but the padding just isn’t good enough for older dogs.
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 54″ X 36″ Dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Soft micro suede Cover can be removed and laundered – machine wash cold To hot with bedding on gentle cycle; Tumble dry low; pad itself is not washable
- Bed measures 52 inches by 34 inches and is suggested for Extra large dog breeds, such as a German Shepherd or great Dane; 3-year warranty
- Nice and simple-no gimmicks
- Cover is removable and machine washable
- Designed for the largest breeds of dog
- Fits in most dog crates
- 3-year warranty
- Memory foam is shredded filler
- No bolsters
Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Buying Guide For 2023-2024
What to Look for in Best Bed for Large Dogs:
When you are trying to choose the best dog beds for large dogs, you have to know a few things. If you don’t know what to look for, it can be very easy to get taken for a ride and waste your money.
After all, the needs of a large dog are a little greater than those of the toy poodle down the block. Let’s consider the most important criteria by which you should judge a product of this type.
Even if they aren’t particularly rowdy, a large dog can tear up standard bedding with great ease. Their weight alone may be enough to destroy some of the cheaper beds, so you have to look for something a little bit tougher when shopping for big canines.
You should always look for thick covers, as these are the first line of defense. If they are waterproof (or at least water-resistant), so much the better. As for absorbency, it is best to choose materials that won’t hold a great deal of liquid. If your dog should happen to urinate on the bed, that can make it far more difficult to clean.
From the dog’s perspective, this is the most important consideration. Your dog should enjoy lounging on their bed, and it should be something that they regard as theirs. That means softness, a nice cushy surface, and plenty of padding between them and the floor.
Ease Of Cleaning:
No matter what kind of dog you have, it is sure that their bed will become dirty from time to time. Surprisingly, many dog bed manufacturers do not consider this fact when designing their products. However, you need to think about this subject before putting your money down.
Removable covers are always a plus, as they make it easy to strip the bed and throw its top layer in the washer. Just make sure they can survive the washer intact, as not all covers are intended for that. Hammock-type beds are definitely the easiest option here, as they can often be hosed off and left in the sun.
Most dog beds don’t come with warranties, but those intended for large dogs tend to be the exceptions. Large dog owners are more concerned with longevity, mostly because large dog beds are more expensive. Because more materials are required for their construction, there is no way around this fact.
As such, any bed over $100 should have some kind of money-back guarantee. When you’re spending that kind of money, you need some assurances, and you shouldn’t accept any excuses in this department.
Your Dog’s Habits:
Last but not least, you should consider your dog’s sleeping habits when choosing a proper bed. For instance, does your dog prefer to sprawl out on the couch or sleep in a tightly curled ball?
Those who prefer to curl up will be happier with a circular bed, while the other kind will turn up their nose at a bed of that sort.
The length of your dog’s fur should also factor into your decision. Long-haired dogs will probably be happier with a less-insulated bed, as thick bedding will make them feel hot and cramped.
Of course, short-haired dogs will usually prefer something that is thickly padded and extremely plush. All of these questions are meant to keep you from wasting money on a bed that your dog won’t use.
In some cases, dog beds might seem to be identical to one another. Of course, when you look closely, you can always find the differences that separate the good from the bad.
We would advise you to always look at the small details when choosing a dog bed, as this will enable you to grasp the more subtle aspects of its design.
We hope that this review guide will help you make the best decision for your canine friend and that you will come back to enjoy more of our work. Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Dog Beds for Large Dogs Review Guide For 2023-2024.