Best Computer Monitors Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Computer Monitors Review Guide For 2022-2023 – These are the best monitors for work, play and everything in between. Whether you’re building your ideal PC workspace or just need a nice big screen to plug your laptop into, the best monitors can transform your desk and enhance your entire computer-using experience.
When you’re spending long hours focusing on work, school, gaming, or even professional graphics work, the right monitor can be the difference between comfort and awkward inconvenience. The best monitors provide a clear view of your work, improve the ergonomics of your desk and enhance your daily productivity.
To help you pick out the right one for you we’ve looked at monitors ranging from small to extra large, with resolutions from 1080p to 4K, and features like frame syncing and adjustable stands.
We’ve tested them all, measuring everything from the color gamut and brightness to response times, so we can be confident when we tell you that one display is better than another. We’ve also identified specific use-cases that make a monitor a better fit for one person or another. To find out even more keep reading our Best Computer Monitors Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Dell SE2719HR – The best monitor for general use
For a monitor that’s great for everyday use and won’t cost an arm and a leg, the Dell SE2719HR is our pick. The 27-inch Dell boasts an IPS panel, so the display will look great from any angle. While it won’t match the resolution of a 4K monitor, the display is still sharp and clear, with vibrant color and deep black levels.
With only HDMI and VGA inputs, it’s not ideal for gaming (DisplayPort is better suited to the higher frame rates of a GPU), but most any other use should be ably handled by the 27-inch display, thanks to its minimal lag times and 75Hz refresh rate.
An adjustable stand lets you set the angle to your comfort and liking, while the bezels around the display are surprisingly slim. And with a relatively small stand, the footprint of the monitor is compact enough that you won’t have to give up much of your desk space.
Heck, with the sleek design and affordable price, you just might pick up two for a dual-screen workspace. For our favorite monitor in terms of function and value, the Dell SE2719HR is the best monitor on our list.
Size: 27 inches | Resolution: 1920 x 1080 | Refresh Rate: 75Hz | Response Time: 8 ms | Ports: HDMI, VGA | Frame Syncing: AMD FreeSync
- Delivers crystal-clear picture quality with amazing detail.
- Helps prevent blurring, ghosting, and streaking during intense action sequences in video games and movies.
- 75Hz refresh rate is a good choice for gaming and other fast-moving media.
- AMD FreeSync synchronizes the refresh rate between the GPU and display to eliminate image tears and choppiness.
- Provides a high number of shades between black and white for accurate color reproduction when displaying images with extreme differences between light and dark.
- Wide viewing angles
- Crisp detail and good color
- Sleek design for an affordable monitor
- Limited port selection
- No height adjustment
Acer XFA240 The best gaming monitor under $200 Amazon’s Choice
The Acer XFA240 demonstrates that excellent full HD monitors don’t need to cost a ton of money. For less than $200, this 1080p monitor delivers accurate colors and more extra features than you’d expect, including a full vertical mode that makes it invaluable as a second screen.
The monitor works well for both gaming and productivity, with a 144 Hz refresh rate and a variety of ports, including a DVI input for older machines.
The XFA240 has a few drawbacks, which are normal enough in its price range. Its built-in speakers aren’t worth using, its menus are confusing and its construction feels a little cheap.
On the other hand, it’s more than worth its asking price, considering how well it displays games, and how pretty the colors are once you do a little tweaking.
Dimensions: 22.3 x 2.4 x 13.2 inches | Screen Size: 24 inches | Resolution: 1920 x 1080 | Refresh Rate: 144 Hz | Inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI
- 24 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen TN G SYNC compatible display
- 144 hertz refresh rate using display port | Response time: 1ms. Input voltage: 120 volt AC, 230 volt AC
- Height, pivot, swivel and tilt | viewing angles: 170° horizontal and 160° vertical
- 2 x 2 watt speakers | panel type: TN | colors supported: 16.7 million | brightness: 350 nit
- Signal inputs: 1 x Display port (V1. 2), 1 x HDMI/MHL and 1 x DVI
- Mounting type: VESA mounting compatible (100 x 100 millimeter)
- These monitors are FreeSync monitors that also support G-Sync compatibility
- Good color quality
- Easy, straight forward design
- Menus are a pain
- “Game mode” can make graphics worse
HP EliteDisplay S14 Best portable monitor
Not all monitors are made for the office. The HP EliteDisplay S14, in fact, is made for everywhere but the office, with a portable design and handy cover that doubles as a stand, ready to go on any work trip, cafe excursion or just to keep you working on multiple screens without being at your desk.
With USB-C connectivity, the HP EliteDisplay S14 gets signal and power form one simple cable, and the slim design is small enough to pack alongside your laptop.
And as a travel monitor, the HP EliteDisplay S14 excels. The lightweight design makes it easy to pack, and the folding cover protects the anti-glare display from scratches and other damage, while the monitor’s IPS panel offers great viewing angles.
Performance in color and brightness were just acceptable – as expected for a portable monitor – but the overall design, included USB-C cable and overall convenience it offers are second to none. If you need a second screen when you’re out on the road, the HP EliteDisplay S14 is the best monitor to get for pure portability.
Size: 14 inches | Resolution: 1920 x 1080 | Refresh Rate: 60 Hz | Response Time: 5ms | Ports: USB-C (video and power) | Frame Syncing: None
- Number of screens: 1
- Screen size: 14″
- Screen mode: full HD
- Response time: 5 ms GTG
- Aspect ratio: 16: 9
- Slick design with included cover and stand
- Simple one-cable connectivity
- Accessible settings menus
- Anti-glare display
- No screen rotation
ViewSonic Eite XG270QC Best curved monitor
The ViewSonic Elite XG270QC is a large curved monitor with an extremely bright screen. While it will take up a lot of your desk space with its tasteful triangular base, the tradeoff is well worth it. You get a vibrantly colored 27-inch 1440p screen, with a refresh rate of 165 Hz. For gamers with powerful GPUs, this means quad HD gaming with the potential for more than 100 frames per second in each game.
Aside from the XG270QC’s price and size, there’s very little to recommend against. It has comprehensive menu options, plenty of ports and a variety of handy presets for many different types of games and applications. Whether you need to play the latest games or enjoy a large library of streaming media, the XG270QC’s bright, bold, beautiful screen is the right tool for the job.
Dimensions: 24.2 x 22.5 x 10.4 inches | Screen Size: 27 inches | Resolution: 2560 x 1440 | Refresh Rate: 165 Hz | Inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI, USB-A, 3.5 mm audio
- IMMERSIVE MONITOR: WQHD 1440p resolution, 1500R curvature, 1ms (MPRT) response time, and 165Hz refresh rate gives you the ultimate enthusiast experience *165Hz is supported via DisplayPort while HDMI supports up to 144Hz
- AMD FREESYNC PREMIUM PRO: The XG270QC provides a combination of smooth gaming at peak performance, and exceptional high dynamic range visuals while still maintaining low latency
- VESA DISPLAYHDR 400: Witness the next evolution in open-world storytelling with 90% DCI-P3 color coverage and HDR in-game detail enhancement
- SMOOTH GAMING: 1ms (MPRT) response time and PureXP Blur Reduction technology utilizes backlight strobing to drastically improve image clarity in fast-moving scenarios
- ELITE DESIGN ENHANCEMENTS: Elevate your setup with a built-in mouse anchor, ELITE RGB ambient lighting, and a reinforced headphone hook
- FRAMELESS DESIGN: A three-sided ultra-thin bezel shows off more of your game and is perfect for multi-monitor setups
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Fully adjustable ergonomic stand delivers the comfort you need for marathon gaming sessions
- FLEXIBLE CONNECTIVITY: The XG270QC supports laptops, PCs, Macs, PlayStation, and Xbox with HDMI, USB, and DisplayPort inputs
- INDUSTRY-LEADING : 3-year coverage with access to our US-based customer service team
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: LCD Monitor, Power Cable, AC/DC Adapter, DisplayPort Cable, and USB 3. 2 Cable
- Beautiful screen
- Vibrant colors
- High frame rate
- Takes up a lot of space
Acer PEO Series Pro Best for professional users
The Acer PEO Series Pro is a widescreen 4K monitor that’s made for professionals who demand the best color and accuracy they can get for working with images, video and graphics.
One of the best monitors overall for serious work, the PE320QK comes calibrated from the factory, offering superb accuracy right out of the box, and comes with a matte display and built-in display hood that eliminates the glare and ambient light that might skew color perception.
This excellent display is made with pros in mind, and also boasts HDR 10 and DCI-P3 support, along with AMD FreeSync. It checks all the right boxes for letting you do your best work, without the fuss of pro-grade displays that might require extensive calibration to dial in the color quality.
Whether you’re a freelancer working from home or one of many in a studio or creative shop, the Acer PEO Series ProDesigner PE320QK is the best monitor for creative professionals.
Size: 27 inches | Resolution: 4K UHD 2160p | Refresh Rate: 60Hz | Response Time: 4ms | Ports: HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.0 | Frame Syncing: AMD FreeSync
- Product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- This pre-owned product has been professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by Amazon-qualified suppliers.
- There will be no visible cosmetic imperfections when held at an arm’s length.
- Products with batteries will exceed 80% capacity relative to new.
- Accessories may not be original, but will be compatible and fully functional. Product may come in generic box.
- This product is eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if you are not satisfied under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- Excellent color with preset color space modes
- Built-in display hood and anti-glare layer
- AMD FreeSync support
- Some presets remove customization options
- Middling audio quality
Alienware AW5520QF 55-Inch OLED Gaming Monitor The best OLED screen
The Alienware AW5520QF 55-Inch OLED gaming monitor puts a killer OLED display into a TV-like size that’s made for big screen gaming.
With a size that toes the line between TV and monitor, the 55-inch display has a highly polished design, a cornucopia of great features and key gaming monitor features such as DisplayPort connectivity and fast 120Hz refresh rates.
And while it’s technically not a TV, it also comes with a slick remote control to adjust the picture settings and navigate menus from the comfort of your couch.
But it’s not just a TV-sized monitor, it’s also a superb OLED gaming display. The Alienware boasts a huge color gamut and accuracy that rivals some of the best TVs on the market.
The AW5520QF’s price will probably scare off folks on a budget, but if you do your PC or console gaming in the living room or want a truly premium monitor, Alienware’s behemoth screen is well-suited to the job.
And since a computer can stream almost anything, so you’ll be able to watch, listen to or play whatever you want.
Size: 55 inches | Resolution: 3840 x 2160 | Refresh Rate: 120 Hz | Response Time: 0.5 ms | Ports: HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, USB 3.0 | Frame Syncing: Nvidia G-Sync
- GAMING HAS NEVER LOOKED GREATER: Unparalleled visuals: OLED displays deliver astonishing image quality that drops you directly in the game and takes you to new depths previously unexplored. Infinite contrast: Because OLED displays feature individual pixel lighting and a practically infinite contrast ratio, the Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor achieves “true black” for significantly higher contrast, allowing gameplay to come alive in breathtaking detail. Colossal color: A cinematic-quality, wid
- A HIGHER STATE OF SPEED: 120Hz refresh rate: React with split-second decisiveness thanks to a blazing-fast 120Hz refresh rate at 4k resolution. Seamless graphics: AMD Radeon FreeSync and G-Sync compatibility eliminate screen tearing, ensuring a fluid experience in image and gameplay. Low input latency: Thanks to low latency, it takes less time to process changes on screen, ensuring images are quickly and clearly displayed and gameplay feels more responsive. Blazing-fast response time: An im
- LEGENDARY DESIGN: In a return to form, Alienware has unveiled our new Legend ID—a bolder, sculpted expression of our brand. Engineered with this iconic design, the Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor introduces a new interstellar look to gaming monitors that no one else can match. Additionally, AlienFX allows for customizable lighting responsiveness, adding to the immersion and overall ambiance of every gaming experience. As an added bonus, the ambient reflective lighting was designed to complemen
- A BEAST TO BEHOLD: After meticulous research of large and oversized gaming displays, we determined 55 inches was ideal for gamers seeking massive screen size and incomparable immersion. Ideal for gamers used to playing on a console, or those looking to replace their dual-screen setup with one massive display, you can play games full screen or keep your other applications handy and accessible.
- ADDITIONAL GAME-ENHANCING FEATURES: Gamer-centric OSD: The Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor comes with a unique, customizable on-screen display, designed to help improve performance and provide in-game tools. A wide array of ports allow for multiple peripherals—even other gaming devices—to be hooked up to your 55” OLED gaming monitor, making it ideal for cross-platform players. Easily change settings or flip through other inputs while lounging in your gaming den with the ultra-convenient remo
- Beautiful, polished design
- Superb OLED panel
- DisplayPort and multiple USB 3.0 ports
- Complicated to enable features like HDR
Best Computer Monitors Buying Guide For 2022-2023
How to choose the best monitor for you:
Finding the best monitor can be a confusing experience when you don’t know what to look for. There are a few key details to pay attention to for any monitor, and some specific advice for certain specialized uses.
Key Features of a Top Rated Monitor:
Widescreen Format: A wide screen is not necessary for a great computer experience…but it is a really big help, especially in a world now dominated by mobile devices with much of the same capability as a PC. What makes a desktop computer unique today? One of the answers is the desktop monitor, which can display your content bigger and better than any tablet or phone. Screens around 24 to 34 inches are optimal for the best experience – as long as you have the space to accommodate!
Accessory and Connection Compatibility: Accessories are mildly important to TV screens (most computers favor HDMI these days), but should be a main priority when considering which computer monitor is right for you.
Do you need HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI? If you are buying a monitor and computer combo like the iMac, you should also make sure that the monitor has enough USB ports (including USB-C ports) and other connection options for your accessories.
Ergonomics: No, we’re not talking about your keyboard. Specifically, we’re talking about the way the monitor moves. A good monitor will come with extensive ergonomic options in terms of viewing angles, swiveling, and tilting, all depending on where you set up your computer and what your overall desk layout will look like by the time you’re done.
Speedy Response Times: This feature is particularly important for anyone who fancies themselves a PC gamer. Obviously, you need a computer screen that knows what it’s doing when it comes to response times and refresh rates, and the higher the number, the better.
Today’s games demand the absolute fastest times possible in this department, so if you plan on doing a lot of online battling, be sure you get a screen that has adaptive sync (Nvidia’s G-Sync compatible or AMD’s FreeSync compatible) capabilities, along with response times under 4ms and maximum refresh rates 60Hz or higher (144Hz max).
A Solid Warranty: There are plenty of warranty schemes out there that basically come down to getting more money out of you. Look instead for manufacturer warranties that cover at least a couple months of operation for your computer monitor, if not at least a year or longer.
Buying Too Much Screen: We know, our first piece of advice was to get a widescreen. But monitors can get expensive, especially if you really don’t need the screen size or resolution. Keep your needs in mind, and aim for lower prices rather than higher prices.
Caring About Black Levels and Contrast Ratios: Yes, black levels really exist, but there’s no good way to measure them except to stare at the screen with your own eyeballs. Contrast ratios and similar claims are easily fabricated and mean very little to anyone outside of the marketing team. Just note which screens have “grayer” blacks, and try to stay away from those the best you can.
Ignoring Your Graphics Card: The monitor is only half the story. You need a good graphics card for any sort of demanding monitor activity, so don’t buy a great monitor and forget about your GPU in the process.
Most Important Features:
Several different types of panels exist for the best computer monitors, each a little different.
Twisted nematic or TN panels have excellent response times for a budget gaming experience.
Vertical alignment panels are known for their color and clarity, but they are also significantly more costly than many other types of panels.
In-Plane Switching panels (IPS monitors) are a step above vertical alignment panels with their color accuracy, viewing angles, and brightness. However, they tend to be the most expensive and the least useful for action with their low response time and lag issues.
Plane-line switching panels are made by Samsung, and are a new effort to create wide viewing angles and brightness with better affordability than other options.
Due to some odd aspect ratio specs, the resolution on monitors can be a bit…different. Many 4K gaming monitors exist, but unlike TVs the resolution numbers can vary based on the screen shape.
Optimally, anything above 1920 x 1080 is solid for 2021 models, including 2560 x 1440, 3440 x 1440, and 3840 x 2160 (4K) Remember that higher resolutions will create smaller text and images (the size of the screen remaining equal) so you may have to enlarge certain content on 4K displays.
Response times refer to how quickly the monitor can update the image based on the input it receives.
A great response time these days is anywhere from 5ms – 1ms, but will rarely go above that.
Fast response times can indicate a robust screen for the average user, but they are most important to gamers interested in “twitch” games, or those who need a monitor that can double as an entertainment station.
Look for HDMI connections and, if necessary, DisplayPort ports. HDMI has become the new standard for most of the best computer monitors, but alternatives like DisplayPort are popular in some circles. As always, look at the ports and cables you currently want before buying the monitor.
If you want to use a feature like Nvidia’s G-Sync or AMD FreeSync, you’ll need a PC that has a DisplayPort 1.2 slot.
Try to avoid monitors with only a DVI connection unless that’s all your PC supports.
Yes, monitors have refresh rates, too. Choices are typically divided between 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz. A higher refresh rate is associated with smoother action on-screen with less juttering between frames.
Opinions on refresh rate vary, but overall it’s thought that 144Hz monitors really do provide better pictures than lowly 60Hz options.
Please keep in mind that consoles (PS4, Xbox One, etc.) only support 60Hz video, so if you want a monitor
for your console, don’t pay more for a 144Hz version.
Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Computer Monitors Review Guide For 2022-2023.