Best Chainsaw Chaps Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Chainsaw Chaps Review Guide For 20222-2023 – Join the millions that have trusted BestReviewsThisYear.com to help them make smarter buying decisions.
Let our independent expert reviews and data-driven shopping recommendations help you find the Best Chainsaw Chap that’s right for you.
Whenever you’re using a power tools like chainsaw, its quite important to operate the saw without catching any bits from its blade.
For this, we require personal protective equipment (PPE) like chainsaw chaps, safety glasses, face shields, hearing protection, etc.
Chainsaws chaps refer to trousers made of special fabrics that are designed to protect chainsaw operators from being cut by a running chainsaw.
They are a part of the personal protective equipment that is recommended for all occasional and professional chainsaw users.
Chainsaw Chaps are like trouser shields / leg wear designed specially with rigid fabric to protect the legs of chainsaw users, from injuries while saw is running.
The user has to wear it over their own trouser to work safely and securely with the chainsaw.
Usually, they are made of tough and slippery material on the outside and layers of loose fibers of other fabrics on the inside.
They are generally designed to prevent or minimize injuries that may occur if the lower limbs of a chainsaw operator are accidentally exposed to a running chainsaw.
One has to keep 3 things in mind while buying it.
Safety – There are various safety regulations and certifications like UL, OSHA, ASTM, ANSI, etc. to check while buying chaps. The chaps certified by all these will be quite durable and safe to use, rather than those which won’t get safety certifications.
Protective Layer – The chainsaw chaps are made with multiple layers of protective fabric to provide safety.
- Primary Fabric: Made with strong fabric like polyester and nylon to make it withstand any tough environment.
- Protective Fiber: The multiple layers of this fiber (nylon, Avertic & Kevlar) will slow down/stop the rotation of saw chain to protect you.
- Outer Coating: PVC coating on outside will make chaps slippery and thereby prevents accidents. Also, it has water and stain resistance.
- Buckles & Straps: Used to secure the chaps in place. Straps are made with spandex and buckles are made with polymer plastic or acetyl Delran.
Design Type – Apron Wear and Wrap-Around are two most commonly used designs/ styles in safety chaps.
- Apron Style: Prevents accidents happening to front side of the leg. Lighter and aids in free movement but won’t protect the back side of legs.
- Wrap-Around Style: Protect the whole leg and keep the chap stay in place. Heavier and causes sweat in legs while operating with it.
Apart from these 3 main factors, we have complied a list of factors clearly in the below “Buying Guide”, which help you in purchasing the right one.
Also, we are providing a list of 5 popular and best chainsaw chaps, we hope you will definitely find the best chaps for you from these in-depth chainsaw chaps reviews found inside our Best Chainsaw Chaps Review Guide For 20222-2023.
Husqvarna 587160704 Technical Apron Wrap Chap
These Husqvarna chaps are made of the same thick, quality materials as the pair above and meet the same safety standards.
The biggest difference lies in the style of the chaps themselves.While the chaps above leave the backs of your legs unprotected and only offer limited coverage to the sides of your legs, these chaps wrap all the way around and ensure that you’re protected from all angles.
No matter how you choose to swing a chainsaw, there will be a layer of protective fiber in the way to stop the blades from cutting you.
Like the pair above, these Husqvarna chaps come in one adjustable size. They feature a handy pocket on the outside so you can store small items while you work and extra durable buckles to withstand the rigors of outdoor labor.
They’re also machine washable in cold water, although you should hang them up to dry.
About This Item:
- 1000 denier polyester with PVC coating with Tek warp protective layers
- Adjustable waist size to 42 inches. Overall length is from the waist to the ankle
- Felling wedge/gear pocket and acetyl Delran buckles
- Meets ASTM f1897, ANSI z133.1, And OSHA regulation 1910-266
- Ul certified
- Full wrap means you don’t have to worry about odd angles
- Bright colors and gear pocket is great for prolonged use
- Can be adjusted to fit different people
- Open crotch area means you’re not fully protected
- Won’t fit as well as a pair with multiple sizes
Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps With Pocket
These Forester chaps offer a bit of protection at a low cost. While they’re not as thick or durable as the other chaps on this page, they’ll still stop a chainsaw within a few seconds of contact.
Compared to the other pairs, however, they’re less likely to stop it before it’s broken your skin. There’s a decent chance that dropping a high-throttle chainsaw on your leg could still result in serious injury.
For some people, this might be enough protection. As long as you’re reasonably diligent and you don’t actually try to cut into your leg, these chaps will probably keep you safe from any serious injury.
In the event of a terrible mishap where your leg collides with a full-power chainsaw with a bit of force, they’ll still arrest the chainsaw before it cuts very deep. You’ll be far better off than if you hadn’t been wearing chaps at all.
Forester’s chaps come in an apron style which leaves the backs of your legs open. They’re offered in 35″, 37″, and 40″ sizes and have an external pocket for storing small items.
They feel a bit flimsier than competing models, but they’re very bright and offer reflective strips for outdoor work.
About This Item:
- Buckle closure
- FORESTER: Chainsaw Safety Chaps – Apron Style Adjustable Protective Pants We’ve taken care to design chainsaw aprons that give top of the line protection and are easier to put on and take off than ever before. There’s no reason not to use protection when it’s this easy!
- Each set of chaps comes with a deep utility pocket for easy storage. We’ve made a lightweight 4 ply barrier that meets the heaviest standards. Our protective gear meets OSHA Regulation 1910-266 for chainsaw operators. They’re UL Tested & Classified Chainsaw Chaps (ASTM F1897), and they meet ASTM F1897-2008 39JY standard specifications for leg protection Made BetterEach pair of chaps is water-resistant and oil-resistant so you can stay focused on the job.
- If you’re doing cutting for landscaping or heavy-duty logging work these chaps are perfect for you. The totally adjustable fit means it fits perfectly for men or women of most sizes. Get real professional-grade protection from Forester.
- Made for You: With simple customizable fits, pockets, and a wide range of colors Forester Chaps are the perfect gear for you! Available in 35″”, 37″”, and 40″” lengths and colors like high-visibility green, orange, camouflage, dark green, grey, brown, and denim blue.
- Better Equipment Delivered: Our products meet the highest-quality and most affordable standards available for equipment. We’re here to deliver everything you need at with best service possible. If you have questions, or need help for any reason, just contact us and we’ll be glad to help. We supply top-of-the-line safety equipment and replacement parts for power tools, and more! Get producs you can trust at prices that work for you.
- Multiple sizes ensure a better fit
- Lighter material keeps you cooler as you work
- Have multiple sizes to choose
- Comfortable and durable
- Not recommended for electric chainsaws
- Won’t stop injury, will simply reduce the severity
- Clasps can wiggle if you don’t secure them well
Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps
Labonville produces custom made high-quality safety gear for logging firms around the country. These chaps are no exception. They’re thick, durable full-wrap chaps that keep every part of your legs protected while you work.
In order to get a more precise fit, these chaps are offered in four sizes. It’s recommended that you measure from your boot laces to your belt buckle in order to estimate your chap length.
Remember that your legs get longer as they bend, so you might want to add an inch or two.
Labonville’s website neglects to mention which safety standards their chaps are manufactured to. This is almost certainly an oversight.
These thick products are made with the same ballistic weave technology as the other chaps, and they’re a bit more comfortable to boot.
One small downside of these chaps over the apron-wrap Husqvarna is the lack of a pocket. While wearing full-wrap chaps, you won’t be able to access the pockets in your jeans or work pants.
You can always attach a pocket to these chaps yourself or wear a seperate pouch, but that’s an extra step you’ll have to remember to take.
About This Item:
- FULL WRAP CHAPS BURNT ORG REGULAR
- Comfortable, thick chaps will help you feel safe
- Flexible and easy to work in
- Keeps every part of your legs protected
- Have multiple sizes
- Need to figure out your chap size before you order
- Get hotter than other chaps because of full-wrap
- No pocket
WoodlandPro Chainsaw Safety Chaps
If you are looking to strike a balance between the need for proper chainsaw protection and affordability, then the WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chaps could be the right chainsaw chap for you.
The fact that it costs less as compared to other chainsaw chaps does not mean that you will be sacrificing your safety by buying it.
One of the most important features that make it stand out is its Kevlar Protection mechanism. Since Kevlar Protection is found in bulletproof vests, you should be confident when wearing your WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chap knowing that if it’s made of a material that is capable of stopping a bullet, it will effectively protect you from cuts by a chainsaw.
The WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chaps come in four different sizes. Finding a pair that will comfortably fit you will, therefore, not be a problem.
What we liked about the WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chap is that it isn’t thick and heavy so that you can comfortably work even during the hot summer days without getting extra sweaty.
About This Item:
- WOODLANDPRO FOREST GREEN CHAPS REGULAR
- Made of tough and lightweight fabric.
- Adjustable to fit your waist size.
- Resistant to water and oil.
- The DuPont Kevlar material is very durable.
- It’s thinner as compared to other chainsaw chaps.
- Do not have the pocket
Makita 841008-A 38-Inch Chain Saw Chaps
The Makita 841008-A 38-Inch Chain Saw Chaps are very popular because they are known to be the most comfortable chainsaw chaps.
One of its desirable features is its safety orange color that will make you visible to your coworkers. What we liked about the Makita 841008-A 38-Inch Chain Saw Chaps is that they are made with your comfort in mind.
They also offer effective protection from chainsaw cuts without limiting your mobility. You can comfortably wear them and work throughout the day without feeling uncomfortable in them. Its unique asymmetrical design features a longer left leg as compared to the right.
This is because since most chainsaw accidents occur on the left side, making their left leg longer helps to prevent chainsaw accidents. The fact that this product is also quite lightweight is an added advantage as this will help in not slowing you down even as you work.
About This Item:
- 38-Inch Chain Saw Chaps-Lg
- Give Yourself 38 Inches Of Protection With These Orange, Reusable, Safety Chainsaw Chaps
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Made of strong and durable material.
- You can comfortably wear them even in hot weather.
- Lightweight hence will not slow you down.
- Very reliable due to their ample protective cover.
- They haven’t been put to a lot of tests since they are new in the market.
- Is only available in orange color.
- Its layer of protection is not as thick as some chainsaw chaps in the market.
Oregon 563979 Protective Chainsaw Chaps
The Oregon 563979 Protective Chainsaw Chaps are designed with breathability in mind so that you can cut wood under any weather, even when it’s hot. It has an open back design that lets you cut down trees even under the hot sun without sweating excessively.
Oregon 563979 Protective Chainsaw Chaps have eight layers of warp knit to protect you from getting accidentally cut by your chainsaw. It comes with top snaps on its waist to allow you to adjust its length. The material used to make it is durable to ensure that your chainsaw chap lasts longer.
It is also good to know that this product is considerably lightweight. It can also comfortably stop a chainsaw from hurting you.
The only drawback that you may get concerned about regarding this product is that its buckles tend to slip a lot. The process of adjusting it is also not an easy one and again it leaves your back with no protection.
About This Item:
- Protective apron saw chain chaps: Comfortable protection for your legs whilst logging or using your chainsaw
- Apron design PPE: With 8 layers of breathable warp knit chainsaw protection
- 600 denier Oxford shell: Adjustable in the waist up to 46″, 36″ length which is adjustable with top snaps
- UL classified: Offering excellent protection from saw chains and other cutting equipment
- Includes: 1 x pair of Oregon Chainsaw Protection Apron Trousers. Machine washable
- Easy maintenance since it is machine washable.
- Capable of stopping a chainsaw.
- Comfortable to wear
- It will not slow you down since it is lightweight.
- Its buckles slip.
- Difficult to adjust.
- Its open-back design means that your back is unprotected.
Best Chainsaw Chaps Buying Guide For 2023-2024
How Do Chainsaw Chaps Work?
There are no chainsaw chaps that are cut proof. However, depending on the type of the fabric used, chainsaw chaps may either slow down the chainsaw speed or tangle the teeth of the chainsaw and even stop it running. In
In the case of an accident, the chainsaw may cut through the outermost layer but it will be immediately drawn and wrapped around by the inner filler materials which are usually polyester, Kevlar or nylon.
This usually protects the chainsaw user by stopping the chainsaw from running or giving him or her time to switch off the machine in those critical seconds before the chainsaw comes in contact with the skin.
Importance Of Using Chainsaw Chaps:
Although the chainsaw is one of the most useful and versatile tools, it also happens to be one of the most dangerous machines than can cause serious injuries and even deaths.
A majority of the thousands of chainsaw injuries reported each year in the United States alone involved the lower limbs as they are more exposed to the chainsaw in the case of accidents. In case of an accident, the chainsaw chaps bear the first impact of the chainsaw teeth.
Even though there is a chance that the teeth may still come in contact with the legs of the user, they will not cause deep cuts as they might otherwise have.
Any chainsaw operator who does not wear chaps puts himself at a high risk. This is because it is very easy to stumble or lose control of the chainsaw and if this happens, the chainsaw user can lose a limb in a matter of seconds.
If the accident happens in a remote area, the victim is likely to lose his life because of loss of blood.
Types Of Chainsaw Protective Trousers:
There are basically two regular types of protective chainsaw trousers; Type A and Type C.
Chaps are categorized as Type A trousers which can offer protection only to the front of the legs. They are usually worn on top of regular work trousers although they can also be worn as work trousers on their own.
However, there are other types of old-style chaps which include apron style chaps and wraparound chaps. They also work in the same way as Type A chaps but are not very user-friendly.
These types of chaps are best suited for homeowners who use chainsaws occasionally and any chainsaw user who is working on the ground. Type C chainsaw trousers refer to overalls or special trousers that give all-round protection to the legs.
They are always worn as conventional work trousers as they do not need to be tied with belts or to be worn over other clothes.
Type C are designed for professional chainsaw users like foresters and arborists who climb trees and often have to operate the chainsaws in difficult or uncomfortable positions. They offer maximum chainsaw protection unlike chaps which only protect the front.
Things To Consider When Buying Chainsaw Chaps:
The purchase of chainsaw chaps must not be treated casually. Chainsaws are responsible for over 36.000 injuries, annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Over 12.000 are leg injuries and can easily be prevented by quality chaps.
Picking out a chainsaw chap is, therefore, a critical affair. A wrong choice could see you added to the statistics above.
So, how do you pick out a chainsaw chap? Below are some factors to consider before making a purchase.
- Type Of Chainsaw You Use
Chainsaw chaps are chainsaw specific. Consider the type of chainsaw you intend to use the chainsaw chaps with (electric, cordless, or gas). Most chaps are not built to withstand blows from electric chainsaws.
Therefore, you should be extra careful when buying chainsaw chaps for an electric chainsaw. The few chainsaw chaps that work with electric chainsaw cost more than regular chaps. To save money, never buy such kinds of chaps unless you plan to use an electric chainsaw. Why pay more for a feature you do not need?
- Material Making The Chaps
Chainsaw chaps are made of different materials. The most common are Ballistic, Polyester, Kevlar, and Denier. Different materials will cost differently and offer varying degrees of protection. Maintenance of different materials is also different.
Some materials should only be hand washed while others can be machine washed. Choose a material that you can comfortably maintain. Some chaps should not be washed! Washing destroys their protective fabrics.
Under comfort, consider the factors below:
The size of these protective clothing should afford you enough room for movement. You should enjoy a broad range of angles. Remember that harm may not always come from the chainsaw.
At times, you may need to run from falling trees. Chaps that hinder your movement would cost you dearly in such scenarios. The weight should also be manageable. Not too heavy as to hinder movement and, not too light as to compromise quality.
Finally, breathable chaps make hot days bearable. If you plan to work in the summer, consider the breathability of chainsaw chaps. The comfort of a person handling a dangerous power tool like a chainsaw needs to be a high priority.
Durability is an aspect you have to research on. Seek out chaps or brands associated with strength. You do not to replace your chainsaw chaps now and then. If however, the chaps take a blow from your chainsaw, the damage is irreversible. Do not even attempt any repairs.
When looking at aspects of design, consider the pockets and adjustability. Make sure the chaps are adjustable to fit a broad range of sizes. This way, you can share them out with family members (rather than by many chaps).
The pockets, on the other hand, should be strong enough to store accessories like edges. This way you avoid losing them in the undergrowth.
The final, and crucial, aspect to consider is certification. Make sure the safety standards of the chainsaw chaps are accepted in your country.
Below are four certifications to look out for before purchasing chaps.
- UL (Underwriters Laboratories) A global certification company that inspects, tests, and , validates products.
- ASNI (American National Standards Institute) A non-profit, American, institute that tests and certifies the quality of goods.
- ASTM (American Section of the International Association for Testing Materials) A timeworn international organization that certifies the quality and standards of products.
- OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) This certification assures you that the company making the chaps treats its workers fairly.
Frequently Asked Question About Chainsaw Chaps
Q: I Have Seen Videos Of Chainsaw Chaps Stopping Chainsaws. Can They Stop Chainsaws Rotating At Full Speed?
A: Whether the chaps stop the rotation of a chainsaw will depend on the chainsaw’s speed and the angle of contact. At a speed of 2,750 ft/min (Feet per minute), a chainsaw will not cut through chaps.
Most chainsaws, however, attain top speeds of upwards of 4000 ft/min (Feet per minute).At such high speeds, all a chap can guarantee is reduced damage to your legs.
It slows down the chainsaw enough for you to react before further damage is done. Remember that without chaps, a chainsaw at top speed would cut your leg clean off!
Q: Can Chainsaw Chaps Be Repaired?
A: No, and Yes, depending on the type of damage. If the chap has suffered from a chainsaw’s out, do not even attempt to repair! Purchase a new pair and be thankful the damaged ones worked.
However, only the outside layer is damaged, repairs can be done. Only make sure the inner layers of fibers are undamaged.
For a cut outer layer, repairs can be done using duct tape. Use it to seal the opening to protect the whole inner layers.
Q: What Does Size Refer To In Chainsaw Chaps? For Example, Does A Size 33 Imply A Size33 Waist?
A: First of all, chainsaw chaps do not come in standard sizes. The waist is adjustable and fits a range of sizes. Size in refers to the length of the chaps. If is measured from the belt’s loop to the bottom of the chainsaw chaps.
Finally, on size, note that some models that do not come in the extra large sizes (40-Inch to 42-inch)
Q: How Often Should I Wash My Chaps?
A: Kindly check the manufacturer’s instructions. There is no one-fit-for- all answer.
Some chaps should not be washed. Washing compromises their capability to keep you safe. Other chaps, on the other hand, become stronger with each wash.
If your chaps say do not wash, never wash them. A little dirt never hurt anyone. Still on the topic of laundry, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to the letter. Some chaps can only be hand washed, while, others support machine washing.
Q: Can All Chainsaw Chaps Be Used With An Electric Chainsaw?
A: Electric chainsaw offers a whole different set of problems. They attain higher speeds and momentums than gas and cordless powered chainsaws.
Unless chaps are specifically quoted to support electric chainsaws, assume they do not. Better safe than sorry.
Chaps are also rarely tested with other tools. Never assume they can work with any other tool apart from what is specified. Read and re-read the manufacturer’s instructions. They are the safest.
Chainsaw chaps are one of the best ways to protect your lower body while using a chainsaw. These are quite durable and strong and help you protect your legs against a chainsaw.
But just like any other safety equipment, there are various things that you have to check before chainsaw chaps for yourself. And you can find a detailed guide along with all of the major features of the various chaps present in this article.
All of these things can be quite helpful for choosing the best one for you. But if you are not able to pick one, here are some of our recommendations for the best chainsaw chaps out there:
If you are one a budget, then you can go with the Husqvarna 587160702 Chain Saw Chaps. Despite its affordable price tag, you get various safety certifications. It even offers a 600 denier polyester with PVC coating for maximum safety while using a chainsaw.
The Forester OEM Arborist kit is also another great option as it offers multiple safety equipments in a single kit. Apart from the chaps themselves, you also get a helmet, ear muffs, and eyewear. And it is able to offer all of this at a justified price tag.
Although if you do not have any budget restrictions, then the Labonville chainsaw chaps are a great pick. These offer a blend of kevlar and polyester for maximum safety while using your chainsaw. And you even get multiple safety certifications including UL, OSHA, ASTM, ANSI, etc.
Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Chainsaw Chaps Review Guide For 2023-2024.
- Best 4 Rotary Tillers For Tractors Review Guide For 2023-2024
- Best Rated Above Ground Pools Review Guide For 2023-2024
- The Most Popular Fertilizer Spreaders Review Guide For 2023-2024
- Best Leaf Rakes Review Guide For 2023-2024
- Top Swimline Hydro Tools 8610 Premium Pool Maintenance Kit Review Guide For 2023-2024