Best Cat Harness Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Cat Harness Review Guide For 2023-2024 – Choosing the best cat harnesses for your feline will allow your cat to enjoy the great outdoors, safely. A harness that fits well will keep your pet comfortable and safe when you’re walking him or her around the yard or neighborhood. But since there are so many popular models currently on the market, finding a model that’s highly adjustable and comfortable can take plenty of research. I’ve created this Best Cat Harness Review Guide For 2023-2024 in the hope that it will help other cat owners find the perfect harness for their pet, one that’s durable, adjustable, and comfortable. I’ve also tested out many of the best-selling models. I’ve narrowed it down to four harnesses that have what it takes to keep your cat safe outdoors, offering a comfortable and adjustable fit that will keep them secure on a walk. Keep reading our Best Cat Harness Review Guide For 2023-2024 to find out more.
Best Cat Harness Buyers Guide For 2023-2024
Choosing the right harness is very important, since a low-quality model can be easy to slip out of. When you take your cat outdoors, you need a harness that fits comfortably and securely. Which is why a model that’s durable and highly adjustable is ideal. But before I jump into the most important features to look for, let’s learn about the benefits of using a harness for your cat.
Benefits of Cat Harnesses:
- When outdoors, cats will instinctively attack birds and small rodents. Keeping your cat on a harness and leash will help to keep your local wildlife safe
- Some cats just have that instinct to fight with other cats, so a harness can prevent this and will allow you to quickly scoop up your cat and move to a different area.
- When a cat sees a new dog, they tend to make a run for it. This excites a dog and encourages them to chase after the cat. On a harness, you’ll be able to better control the situation by quickly picking up your cat and leaving.
- When you’re traveling, a harness will allow you to take your cat to the restroom when you’re at a rest stop
- A harness will allow you to take your cat with you on your next camping adventure
- If your cat is yearning for the outdoors but they are a strictly indoor cat only, then a harness will allow them to safely enjoy some
- outside time.
As you can see, there are many benefits to using a harness for your cat. If you have a strictly indoor cat, then using a harness can provide the mental and physical stimulation your cat needs to thrive. Many cats that are restless at night and can be very vocal, which can indicate that they’re in need of more mental and physical stimulation. Using a harness can be a great way to tire your cat out before bedtime, so you both rest better at night. Keep in mind, training can be a little difficult, especially if you have an older feline.
However, it’s definitely worth the effort. Now, let’s take a look at the style options available.
Types of Cat Harnesses:
There are a couple of different harness styles to choose from: leads and walking vests.
A lead consists of a few straps that are attached to a leash. A lead will fit around a cat’s back and neck and will distribute pressure evenly. These harnesses are often easy to adjust, but they don’t offer the type of comfort that the other harness style does. However, they’re priced more affordably, so they’ll be a better option for the cat owner on a tight budget.
Walking vests offer more coverage and do a better job of distributing pressure. They can also be a better choice if you’re trying to train an older cat, since they are more difficult to slip out of. These harnesses often come with padded areas, which can make it more comfortable to use. However, this added padding can also cause your cat to sweat in hotter weather.
Regardless of the style of harness you choose, how it fits will be the most important factor. A harness that fits well will be comfortable and difficult to slip out of. When you’re shopping for a harness, the first step is weighing your cat and taking their measurements.
A harness should fit snugly, but not too tightly. To ensure the harness has the right fit, you should be able to fit a finger between the harness and your cat’s skin.
Color and Design:
You’ll find harnesses available in a variety of colors and patterns. If you’re taking your cat with you on a trip or camping, then I recommend choosing a model that’s brightly colored, so your pet will be highly visible at night. You can also find some models that come equipped with reflective material, making them easier to see at night.
Leads are more affordable than walking vests, mainly because they don’t use quite as much material. Walking harnesses are often padded and generally more comfortable to wear, but this added comfort comes with a higher price tag.
Ideally, you’ll begin using a harness when your cat is still a kitten, beginning at eight weeks of age. Make sure that you choose a harness that’s difficult for your kitten to slip out of. Then practice walking around the yard for a few minutes, every day. Eventually, your cat will become used to their harness, so you can lengthen the walk and begin to take them around the neighborhood.
If you have an older cat, then teaching them how to walk on a harness is going to be tough work. Many cats will just lie down, making the whole process that much more difficult. Begin by training them to use their harness by putting the harness on them indoors, a couple of times a day.
Next, take them into the backyard on the harness and try to encourage them to walk by placing their favorite treats around the yard. Eventually, your cat will become accustomed to the harness and may even be willing to explore while wearing it. Just keep in mind that this is a process that’s going to take some time. So, if you’re planning on training them to use a harness for an upcoming trip, try to do this as far in advance as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Tight Should a Cat’s Harness be?
A harness for a cat should fit snugly around the neck. However, you should be able to slide a finger or two between the harness and your pet’s skin. If you’re able to fit more than a finger or two between the harness and your cat then the harness is too loose. If no fingers are able to slide in, then the harness is too tight.
Why do cats fall over When They Wear a Harness?
Many felines will freeze or fall over when they feel the harness since it tends to trigger the survival response that they use when they’re grabbed by a predator. You’ll need to help them get over this behavior by showing them that using the harness means they get to explore the outdoors. You can also make the experience more pleasant and motivating by offering treats while they wear it.
Is it Cruel to put a cat on a Lead?
No. Doing so allows your cat to enjoy outdoor time, safely. However, it’s very important that you’re patient during this time and avoid tugging on the leash or dragging your cat along. Walking a cat outside may be a scary experience for them the first few times since they may smell other cats or even dogs in the area. Limit the length of time you keep them on their lead, gradually increasing the time and the area that you cover as your cat becomes comfortable wearing it.
Is it Cruel to Keep a cat Indoors?
Keeping a cat indoors is recommended since it will keep them safe and protected from predators such as large dogs and people. It will also protect them from getting hit by a car and can prevent them from running away. A cat that is kept indoors only will live significantly longer than a cat that’s indoor and outdoor, or outdoor only.
Rabbitgoo Cat Harness
This model is available in three size options and features the classic walking vest design that’s padded and constructed with comfort in mind. This harness also comes with a leash, which is a nice extra. The harness is made for cats of all sizes, thanks to the highly adjustable design. It features four adjustable straps, so you can achieve the perfect fit. Each side of the vest has a durable safety buckle to prevent cats from easily backing out of the harness.
- Cat Harness with Leash, Fits Average Adult Cats: SIZE measuring [Neck Girth: 8.5 -11 Inches], [Chest Girth: 13.5 – 16 Inches]. Please MEASURE your cat carefully and refer to the size chart before order. (Tips: Your cat’s head circumference should be AT LEAST 10 inches or your cat may slip out.) Package includes: 1x Small Cat Walking Vest and 1x Walking Nylon Leash (150cm)
- Comfortable Outdoor Harness: This real comfy kitten harness will snugly fit your feline friend’s body, while still keeping him/her cool with its breathable air mesh. Soft and lightweight (approx. 100g), suitable for daily walking, jogging, training, and any outdoor recreations. Also a perfect comfort harness when you’re taking your kitty to an unfamiliar place, such as the vet or groomer
- Escape Proof Cat Harness: This adjustable kitty harness features 4 adjusting straps which allow a just-right fit for your flexible cat. Both sides have a sturdy Safety Buckle for a more secured closure – never worry about your cat getting lost during outdoor adventures (Tips: The harness should be snug enough for you to fit ONE finger between the straps and any part of your cat’s body)
- Cat Safety Harness: You can attach the long, sturdy Nylon Leash to the Metal Leash Clip on the back, allowing your kitty to explore the great nature safely and enjoyable. Its vest-style design can evenly distribute leash pressure across the chest and shoulder to prevent choking or neck strain, which is much safer and more comfortable than a basic halter or H-style harness. The reflective strips will keep your kitty always visible in dark environments
- Hassle-Free Overhead Harness: This easy-wearing harness is simple to put on and take off with 2 snap side-buckles and 4 fully adjustable straps. (Tips: To help your sensitive friend get familiar with this new feeling of wearing a harness, try to place it near your cat during sleeping or feeding time).
- Highly adjustable
- Includes free leash
- Only three size options available
This model comes with a heavily padded design, so you can be sure your cat is nice and comfortable when you’re walking around the neighborhood. It’s also marketed as escape-proof and will prevent your cat from escaping their harness by simply backing out of it. Available in seven color options and it includes a free leash, this set is a steal for the price and features a harness that will keep your cat safe and secure as they explore the outdoors.
Heywean Cat Harness and Leash
This walking vest features a 360-degree design that wraps around your cat’s chest. The pressure is evenly distributed throughout the harness for total comfort. The harness itself is also heavily padded and highly adjustable. The flexible material will absorb moisture, so the harness will dry quickly, keeping your cat nice and dry. This model also features a lightweight design, weighing less than fifty grams. Also included is a free lightweight leash. This harness can be adjusted for a snug fit and works well for adult cats of all sizes.
- Ultra-light: the weight of entire strap is less than 50g, and it is same with a car key’s weight. Your cat must enjoy it with free movement for this wear!
- 360° wrap-around chest back: the pressure on the chest is even and safe to avoid pulling and suffocation,and to protect the cat from the fragile trachea and throat.
- Added a Suture to the chest: to fit the cat’s neck and chest which has a strong three-dimensional feeling.This anti-shedding cat harness has soft edges and elastic cushioning, which can prevent injury and escape.
- High elasticity and dry: light filling material, moisture absorption, quick drying, odor reduction,toughness, wear resistance and high elastic properties.
- Size measurement: S: Chest:9-11″/23-28cm Recommended weight:3-6 lb/1-3kg M: Chest:11-13″/28-33cm Recommended weight:6-10 lb/3-4.5kg L: Chest:13-15″/33-38cm Recommended weight:10-16 lb/4.5-7kg
- Includes leash
- Heavily padded
- Fast drying
- Not escape proof
While highly adjustable, this model is not escape proof, which is why it’s so important that you choose the correct size for your cat. This model is available in four size options, so you can measure your cat prior to ordering and choose the appropriate size.
PetSafe Come with Me Kitty Harness and Bungee Leash
This lead style harness is designed to apply gentle pressure to the shoulders, instead of the throat and neck. The harness is highly adjustable, with two adjustment points that will allow you to achieve the perfect fit. The included leash is a bungee-style leash that provides some give to prevent you from accidentally tugging your cat along. This model is available in six color options and will come with a leash to match.
- Outdoor Fun: Improve your indoor cat’s health and happiness with walks together outside your home
- Comfortable Control: Designed specifically for kitties, the harness applies gentle pressure to the shoulders rather than the neck or throat
- Adjustable Fit: Two adjustment points allow you to custom fit the harness to your cat’s body type; always measure your cat for proper fit
- Easy Restraint: The stretchy bungee leash allows some “give” as your cat approaches the end of her leash to prevent sharp pulling or tugging
- Size Information: Medium size is suitable for cats with a chest girth of 10.5 to 14 inch; measure the deepest part of the chest behind the front legs
- Safe Exploration: While outdoor fun is a great way to enrich your cat’s life, unsupervised cats can be at risk of injury and may attack other animals like songbirds; the Come With Me Kitty Harness allows you to walk your cat safely so you can enjoy the outdoors together
- Here To Help: Call, email or chat with our expert U.S.based customer care specialists Monday through Saturday at 18008453274 or firstname.lastname@example.org; they are ready to assist you and your pet
- Includes free leash
- Six color options
- Two adjustment points
- Reduces pressure on throat and neck
- Only three size options available
This lead is comfortable but doesn’t include the thick padding you’ll get with a walking harness. Additionally, there are only three size options to choose from, so you’ll need to measure your cat carefully and compare the measurements to the sizing chart to determine if this model will work for your cat. The two adjustment points allow you to keep your cat secure and safe during a walk, however, if you don’t choose the correct size it is possible for your cat to back out of this model.
This model features a soft Velcro closure that’s placed around the chest and neck and a thick plastic closure on the neck area that’s designed to prevent your cat from escaping. The harness is made out of soft mesh material, so it’s very breathable and comfortable to wear, even in hotter weather. The harness also comes with a thick nylon leash, which will connect to two D rings located on the back. This design is highly adjustable, quick drying, and comfortable for all day wear.
- Size L: Chest girth: 14.1″-16.1″, Neck girth:10.1″-13.1″, Leash size:59″ (150cm). And this harness is currently in the process of patenting.
- The baby’s special soft closure is used in the neck and chest, a plastic closure is added to the neck to prevent the cat from escaping after get rid of the closure.
- The harnesses are made with easy-to-secure closure, which makes outfitting your cat simple. it’s a soft mesh material that doesn’t suffocate nor overheat her when hot.
- Two heavy D rings connect you and your pet when you are in walking, running, jogging or hiking.
- Take your cat’s girth measurement snug against her fur, and then add 2 inches to 3 inches to that measurement for comfort.
- Quick drying
- Velcro and plastic closure
- Low price
- Over time the Velcro will lose its sticking power
This set is available in four sizes and eight color options. The harness is highly adjustable and categorized as an escape-proof harness, so you can feel confident that your cat will not be able to back out of this harness and escape when you’re out on a walk. However, the Velcro material used to secure the harness can lose some of its sticking power over time. To overcome this, you can avoid drying the Velcro in the dryer and keep the closure closed at all times to prevent dust and dirt from sticking to the velcro. Overall, this is a durable, comfortable harness that has thick padding in the chest area and is made out of materials that are breathable and quick drying.
The best cat harnesses will be comfortable, highly adjustable, and escape-proof. Training your cat to walk on a harness can be very enriching for your cat and can help provide both the mental and physical stimulation all cats need. However, without the right type of harness you’ll risk your cat quickly slipping the harness and making a run for it. This Best Cat Harness Review Guide For 2023-2024 and the products I’ve included here are designed to point you in the right direction, so you can easily find a harness that will keep your feline happy, secure, and comfortable.