Best Carry-On Luggage Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best Carry-On Luggage Review Guide For 2023-2024 – As the popularity of air travel has increased, the associated sense of luxury and ease has decreased. Even though overhead bins are shrinking and regulations are tightening, travelers still want to be able to love their gear. You need to be able to rely on your luggage no matter where your travels take you and feel secure that your carry-on is going to fit in the compartment without starting an international incident. Many airlines these days have their own unique regulations for carry-on luggage size, but we searched the web for the best options that should get you where you’re going without a headache. In addition to size, we also took into consideration, weight, mobility, internal and external packing features, price, and more to come up with a list of the best carry-on luggage options available.
There are lots of different reasons people fly these days and just as many ways to approach packing all the necessities. If you’re a business traveler with a laptop and other tech devices in your carry-on, you may be looking for features that make passing security checkpoints a little smoother. If you’re tired of your suitcase’s wheels spinning the wrong way or tripping up en route, it’s time to upgrade with some eight-wheeled magnetic technology. Or if you’re looking to skip the wheels completely, we’ve got an elegant option for the backpacker in you. No matter your needs, we’ve got the carry-on luggage for you in our Best Carry-On Luggage Review Guide For 2023-2024.
Best Carry-On Luggage Buyers Guide For 2023-2024
What to Look for in Carry-On Luggage
What is the best carry-on size? In order for you to take your carry-on into the cabin, it’s going to have to meet the airline’s size requirements. That said, different airlines can have different size requirements for cabin luggage, so make sure you check online to see what the standard size is for the airlines you fly with the most.
As with size, airlines also usually have weight restrictions for carry-on bags. Not only will a lighter bag be easier to lug around, but it’ll give you more wiggle room when deciding what to pack.
Carry-on luggage featuring wheels are pretty standard, but not all wheels are created equally. Wheels made of cheaper materials can become scratched, start to wobble, wear away easily, or fall off — and that’s never convenient when you’re on a trip.
Additionally, decide whether or not having two wheels is sufficient for you, or if you would prefer four. Having four wheels could save you arm pain if you have to drag your suitcase around for a while.
Regardless of what kind of traveler you are, having conveniently-placed compartments can be a great way to organize your bag. However, make sure these compartments don’t hinder the amount of space inside your bag.
Before you buy, think about the items that you usually take along with you, and whether or not you’ll be able to adjust the compartments to fit them.
It should go without saying, but definitely read the reviews of every bag before you buy. Look for keywords in regards to the durability and stitching of the carry-on, as an attention to the quality could end up saving you from having to purchase a new bag in a few years.
What’s Not Allowed In a Carry-On Bag:
Knowing what you can and cannot bring in your carry-on bag will save you time and hassle when you get to security. These guidelines change a bit country-to-country, but some general guidelines for what to leave at home are are any liquids more than 3.4 ounces (including gels and aerosols), tools, anything sharp (razors, scissors, etc.), sporting equipment (you’ll likely have to check it), weapons & self-defense items, and flammables.
Additionally, most medications will be fine to bring with you in a carry-on, but check the requirements for the country you’re traveling in as you may need a note from your doctor.
The best for travelers with a laptop
For business travelers or anyone flying with a laptop, the Incase Eo Travel Hardshell Roller makes passing security checkpoints a breeze with its easy-to-access briefcase section.
The polycarbonate exterior of the Incase Eo Travel Hardshell Roller does more than protect whatever is packed inside your bag. It’s also an easy-to-access laptop sleeve that allows you to pass through TSA checkpoints without using separate plastic bins for your tech gadgets and devices. Just unzip the polycarbonate sleeve layer, lay it in the bin that goes through the x-ray belt, and TSA has access to everything they need and nothing they don’t.
Along with the large laptop sleeve and one designed for tablets, the easy-access tech section of the Eo Travel Hardshell Roller features a bunch of small accessories pockets to keep track of business tools like charging cords, adapters, and even file folders, notebooks, and pens.
Only one of the suitcase’s internal sides has a hard molded structure, so the cotton-and-polyester-blend fabric allows for a little extra give while you’re cramming your belongings into your carry-on. The main compartment does expand if you need a checked luggage option on one leg of your trip or both.
While we’ve been singing the praises of four-wheeled (and eight-wheeled) roller carry-ons so far, there are also plenty of reasons to love a two-wheeled carry-on instead. Personally, I know I’m a little uncomfortable with the idea of rolling my perfectly upright bag alongside me like I’m walking a dog — but that’s only because I’ve traveled with my two-wheel roller for as long as I can remember.
If you’re a two-wheel loving business traveler, the Incase Eo Travel Hardshell Roller is a great option. And at 15 x 8 x 23 inches, it fits in with most airlines’ carry-on dimensions rules.
- up to 17″ MacBook Pro, iPad
- Durable polycarbonate hardshell front panel for enhanced protection
- Main compartment expands 35%. Butterfly design opens flat to easily pass through airport security.
- Easily accessible laptop sleeve, two-wheeled rolling system, if you’re into that
- Scratches easily, two-wheeled rolling system, if you’re not into that
The best stylish bag
The Delsey Chatelet Hard Carry On is designed with sophisticated contrast coloring that will stand out from the sea of regular black carry-ons.
Sometimes another black rollaboard carry-on just won’t cut it. The 100% virgin polycarbonate exterior of the Delsey Chatelet Hard Carry On comes in two fresh contrast colors: white with brown detailing or darker brown with light brown detailing. Both options feature faux leather accent details, and even the interior is stylish with a chic bright red lining.
The Makrolon polycarbonate case is designed to withstand extreme temperatures and resist impact, but a lighter white surface on a hardshell carry-on is more likely to show scrapes and scratches. If you’re worried, get the dark brown version. The interior packing space opens into two generous compartments with zippered pockets, dividers, and tie-down straps to keep your clothes in place and unwrinkled.
On top of the style component, the best element of the Delsey Chatelet Hard Carry On are the Japanese Hinomoto double spinner wheels. Four-wheel directionality is the main option, but the system also includes a Stop And Go braking function so you can lock the two front wheels. Locked into place, your bag won’t roll away, but you can still run to catch the final boarding call by dragging the case two-wheel style along the unlocked back wheels.
On the security side, the Delsey Chatelet Hard Carry On includes a built-in recessed lock that satisfies TSA regulations and keeps your belongings safe from unauthorized prying eyes. Delsey’s ten-year international warranty protects your carry-on bag from any damage or harm that may come to it.
- Lightweight and durable 100% polycarbonate shell that is extremely resilient to cracking or breaking; designed with stylish faux leather accents
- Four spinner wheels assuring a stable base with multi-directional rolling with zero weight on your hand for easy travel
- Recessed 3-dial TSA approved combination lock for security; unique brake system locks two front wheels to prevent bag from rolling away
- Deluxe interior featuring removable hanger and laundry and shoe bags; two large lined compartments with web straps to keep items secure and wrinkle free
- Recessed “one-button” locking handle system for great maneuverability; 28 inch checked size is perfect for family vacations and longer business trips
- Comes with built in tracking device in the event of lost luggage; Chatelet models backed with a 10 year limited warranty
- Sophisticated design, reliable and durable, built-in wheel braking system
- Comes with built in tracking device in the event of lost luggage
- 10 year limited warranty
- None at this time
The best four-wheeled carry-on
The Travelpro Platinum Magna Express Spinner Suiter solves all those pesky directional problems with four dual wheels and magnets that align them no matter which way you’re going.
When rollaboards were popularized with just two wheels on bags so you could tip your bag and go, mobility may have been limited, but at least it was straightforward. Travelpro’s Platinum Magna Express Spinner Suiter carry-on bag with four wheels allows you to push and pull your bag in any direction without tipping it behind you.
The company’s own “MagnaTrac” technology uses a system of magnets to keep all four of the suitcase’s dual wheels tracking in the same direction and rolling in a straight line. Although MagnaTrac is really the standout feature of this Travelpro bag, there are plenty of other reasons it’s a great carry-on option.
The bag itself is lightweight and features plenty of zippered mesh compartments on the inside for smaller accessories, dirty laundry, or even wet bathing suits. It comes with a garment bag, a piece for which Travelpro has also been praised widely by business travelers.
A contoured handle is designed to be more ergonomic and easy on the arm and shoulder, and it stops at three different heights for easy navigation. The expandable main compartment adds another two inches to the bag’s interior if you’re planning to do some shopping while abroad.
The bag measures 21 x 14 x 9 inches, which should suit most but not all airline regulations for carry-ons these days. A ballistic nylon exterior protects the suitcase from wear and tear, and the bag is covered by Travelpro’s standard worry-free warranty.
- High density ballistic nylon fabric with duraguard coating. Leather top and side carry handles, and a bottom handle cup provide comfortable carrying options. Supra zipper heads have been engineered to resist damage from daily use and abuse
- 8 self-aligning magnetic wheels for smooth, 360-degree rolling in any direction
- 3-position PowerScope extension handle minimizes suitcase wobble while walking. Accents. Includes cushioned contour grip, durable zipper heads, and deluxe suiter & tie-down system
- Worry Free Warranty covers the cost of repair for damage caused by an airline or other common carrier
- Case Dimensions: 29×20.5×12.75 (can expand an extra 2-in), Overall Dimensions: 32.5×21.5×12.75, Weight: 11.3 lbs. Volume – 143.5 Litres
- Magnets align all four dual wheels to roll in the same direction, easy to pull, expandable compartment
- Limited color options, carry-on dimensions may be too big for certain airlines
The best overall
The Briggs & Riley Baseline Commuter Expandable Upright bag expands and compresses so you can pack in more than meets the eye, and mesh garment panels keep your clothes fresh for arrival.
The Briggs & Riley Baseline Commuter Expandable Upright looks like an ordinary carry-on from the outside, but it’s really the internal components that make it our number one choice. Briggs & Riley’s compression and expansion technology allows you to expand the bag while packing so you can cram in that extra pair of shoes, and then compress everything inside back to normal size once you’ve zippered the bag closed. The interior is lined with mesh garment panels that strap down to hold clothes in place without shifting or wrinkling.
Because the bag uses an outsider handle system that tucks the rails on the bag’s exterior, there aren’t any awkward or uneven ridges at the bottom of the bag. Pack everything flat and make better, more efficient use of the space when you’re packing for a longer trip or for multiple climates. With ballistic nylon as the bag’s outer material, there’s room for a little give without being vulnerable to the dents and nicks of frequent travel.
The best offering that comes with the Briggs & Riley Baseline Commuter Expandable Upright is its lifetime warranty, which is a no-questions-asked policy and even covers airline damage.
- EASY PACKING: Patented CX system; Bag expands 2.5 inches for up to 25% more packing space; Pack for an extra day or two and compress down to carry-on size; Includes garment carrier, wide garment compression straps to securing contents, preventing wrinkles
- HIGHEST RATED LUGGAGE W/ LIFETIME WARRANTY: Top rated by Consumer Reports reader survey, top rated premium luggage by WireCutter/New York Times; If your bag is ever broken or damaged, even by an airline, Briggs & Riley will repair it for free
- HIGH PERFORMANCE LUGGAGE: 1680D ballistic nylon outer fabric, high-grade rubber spinner wheels, aircraft-grade aluminum telescoping Outsider handle with 4 stop heights; Strong hybrid fiberglass frame. Reinforced corner guards, self repairing YKK zippers
- FREE TSA LOCK INCLUDED: Lockable double zipper pulls keep contents secure; Large #10 YKK zippers with nylon zipper teeth are tamper resistant; Front SpeedThru pocket allows for easy secure storage items like keys, phone, etc. through security checkpoints
- DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITY: 19 Inch H x 14 Inch W x 9 Inch D (Fits most airline carry-on dims) Expands to 11.5 Inch D. 2016 – 2646 cu.in. capacity. 8.1 lbs. Nests inside the following models for easy storage: U125CX, U128CX, U125CXSP, U128CXSP, U131CXSP
- Compression/decompression technology to pack more, internal mesh garment panels for wrinkle-free clothes, lifetime warranty
- None at this time
We hope you found our Best Carry-On Luggage Review Guide For 2023-2024 helpful.