Best Barcode Scanner Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Barcode Scanner Review Guide For 2022-2023 – If you are opening a business or you’re keeping track of huge warehouses, one of the vital features that you should have is a barcode scanner. The barcode scanners are designed to make it relatively easy to categorize and also pull up the prices when your customers are at checkouts. This ensures a steady transactions flow without any interruptions. These devices are also used in keeping track of your inventory via a quick swipe. They can also send or store data on your computer in file documents. The technology used in these devices hasn’t changed a lot over the years. These scanners are still working in the same way but there are a few new features on the latest models.
Bluetooth and Wireless technologies have also been added. This makes the barcode scanners more mobile and easy to use in a store or warehouse. In addition, Bluetooth scanners can work along with mobile devices like tablets. This feature has set up the trends for mobile apps for warehousing by using cloud software which runs even smaller iOS and Android devices. Here are the top best barcode scanners listed in our Best Barcode Scanner Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Best Barcode Scanner Buyers Guide For 2022-2023:
What is a barcode scanner?
The purpose of this device is to recognize and then translate the barcodes on a given image into alphanumeric symbols. After translating into alphanumeric, the barcode scanner transmits the information to a computer either wirelessly or using wired connections. These digits are usually preconfigured to represent specific items. So once the barcodes are scanned, the database pulls up an entry with more information regarding the item’s price, units of the item that are in stock and a brief description of the item.
Since their invention, barcode scanners were designed to read those barcodes that most people are accustomed to. For instance, they can read and translate ID codes. They also read linear barcodes that are often represented as an image with parallel lines and spaces. The spaces, which are popularly referred to as a quiet zone, help to prevent the scanner from picking up details that are not wanted or needed in the barcode scan. Since a blank space cannot transmit any information, it’s defined as a quiet place.
Throughout history, ID barcodes have been the standard, and they are still used extensively today. However, these ID barcodes have one limitation, in that they can only accommodate a small amount of information. More specifically, they carry between 20 and 25 characters. In contrast, 2D barcodes are able to store details either horizontally or vertically, and this results in a much bigger storage capacity. So while an image scanner can record and translate 2D barcodes, a basic barcode scanner can only tackle linear codes.
If you’ve tried shopping for a barcode scanner, then you may have come across different kinds. While some models use lasers, others use cameras to record and convert the barcode image into electric format. There are also pen readers that have no mobile elements. Essentially, a pen reader will have a light source and a photodiode for estimating the lines and spaces on the ID barcode.
Laser scanners utilize lasers as sources of light. One advantage of using laser scanners over pen readers is that they result in fewer scanning errors, especially when it comes to scanning items from a long distance. The way a laser scanner works is by first measuring the ambient light instead of self-reflected light, a process that records multiple readings per scan, and subsequently, minimizing the chances of errors. If you’re looking for a cheaper scanning device, the camera-based readers are your best bet. They work by capturing the image of the barcode, which they then read and translate.
But if you are not limited by budget, you can go for the most advanced scanner known as the omni-directional scanner. It’s a type of a laser scanner, but one that has more mirrors and lenses, which help in minimizing errors. Also, the omni-directional scanner is capable of complex tasks such as scanning from ripped or crumpled barcodes at a very fast rate. Ordinary scanners would take a much longer time reading such damaged barcodes.
What are the benefits of a dedicated barcode scanner:
Even though barcode scanners come with different features, they offer similar benefits. A well-equipped barcode scanner offers these perks:
Integrates into your system:
A barcode scanner is merely a keyboard, which you can link directly to an existing system. But if you’re connecting to a smartphone, you may need a Bluetooth adapter or a driver to link to your point of sales system.
Has few software issues:
Another perk of using barcode scanners is the fact that they can never acquire viruses, and they don’t require any updates on their software. Plus, these scanners are not disrupted by texts or calls from other scanners.
Barcode scanners are some of the most durable models on the market. They will give you years of service without getting any issues.
Barcode scanners are designed to read from a long distance, and to do so quickly. If you’re looking for a scanner that offers the perfect balance between an efficient system and battery life, then a barcode scanner is your best bet.
Types of Barcode Readers:
As the name suggests, this barcode reader is a tiny wand-like stick resembling a pen. It has two main parts: a LED light and a photodiode at the tip. Once an individual passes the tip over a barcode image, the LED element lights up the black and white bars. The purpose of the photodiode is to calculate the reflection of light. In doing so, this photodiode establishes the width and color of each bar. It is these details that are then translated to digital information, which is then sent to another component for processing.
One reason why pen barcode readers are so popular is because they’re cheap and durable. With this barcode reader, you’ll be able to scan a ton of items within a short amount of time. But since very few people have hands as steady as those of a surgeon, one may need a bit of practice to get used to it.
This is a more advanced barcode reader than a pen. But unlike the pen barcode reader, the laser scanner can tackle light readings, and this helps in preventing scanner errors. With the laser reader, there’s a laser beam that gets shot at a mirror placed inside the main unit. Once the mirror moves, the laser sweeps across the barcode image in a straight stretch. This light is then bounced back to a diode, which serves to measure the level of reflection. The reflection is converted into a digital format. Laser scanners can be used as part of a handheld device or mounted on a scanning system.
A charge coupled device, abbreviated as CCD, is a scanner with tons of tiny LED lights arranged in one row. These lights are captured directly onto a barcode while a sensor estimates the voltage of the light glaring at the front of every lightbulb. The voltage estimation provides a digital snapshot of the barcode. Even though CCD scanners are pricier than most models, they provide more accuracy and versatility.
Unlike other barcodes that have black and white bars, these scanners consist of white and blank spaces in a 2-dimensional target. Such 2D barcodes cannot be scanned using the ordinary machinery. On the brighter side, they are versatile pieces of equipment since they can hold more data than conventional barcode. To scan these barcodes, you will need a 2D camera image scanner, which comes with tiny lights just like the CCD scanner. The difference with a 2D camera scanner is that the small lights are arranged in several rows. The lights illuminate the barcode before taking a digital image of the barcode, which is transmitted to a software in the form of a digital signal. The software translates the signal into meaningful information.
These are the most popular barcode scanners and for good reasons. Not only are they capable of performing an array of functions but they also come in both wireless and wired technologies.
The key highlight of these scanners is how they blend the functions of a PC and a scanning device under one unit. A good example of this is a tablet.
With a presentation scanner, you’ll be able to scan multiple items at once.
As its name suggests, this is a scanner that has to be placed inside a counter so that it can read and scan the codes.
These kinds of scanners make use of sensors, which are triggered whenever an items are placed in front of them.
This is a scanner than can be worn on the hand, arm or finger.
What you need to know before buying a barcode scanner:
What barcode type are you scanning:
Before choosing a scanner, establish whether you want to scan one-dimensional or two-dimensional barcodes. Although 1D barcode works well for most cases, a 2D barcode may be needed in a few instances.
They are the most popular barcodes. You’re likely to find 1D barcodes in warehouses, retail and other areas that use point-of-sale systems. Examples of these barcodes include Code 39, which come with alphanumeric attributes, EAN codes used in the European market and UPC codes which are incorporated on consumer goods.
2D barcodes- 1D:
Barcodes contain a maximum of about 30 characters. In contrast, 2D barcodes are capable of holding more information in a small space. In fact, they can store up to 3000 characters. What’s more, 2D barcodes can integrate text and website addresses which direct the shopper directly to the online purchase section. Examples of 2D barcodes are PDF417 and QR codes.
From 1D to 2D:
The disadvantage of a 1D barcode scanner is that it cannot scan 2D barcodes. Conversely, a 2D scanner can read 1D barcodes efficiently. But what about a small business that needs 1D scanning one minute and 2D capabilities the next?
Thanks to technological advancement, manufacturers have invented devices that have both 1D and 2D capabilities.
At what distance do you need to scan your barcode labels:
After determining the barcode type, the next thing you need to take into account is the scanner range. For example, are you planning to scan product labels that are more than 15 feet away or will you be using it to scan items that are at close range?
When shopping for a barcode scanner, look for the barcode scan range. This is simply the distance at which the device will be able to read the barcode image. Different barcode scanners have different scan ranges as highlighted below:
- Standard range- the barcode reader can scan from 2.5 feet.
- Medium range- the barcode scanner can work from 3.5 to 4 feet.
- Long range- this barcode scanner is capable of scanning items that are about 25 feet away
- Extended range- the scanner can work from a distance between 3 feet to 50 feet.
If you have to scan barcodes on items that are far away and others at close range, you may have to purchase two different scanners as each one works differently.
Barcode size refers to the distance at which the product barcodes need to be scanned. Essentially, the longer the scan range, the larger the distance that your barcode needs to be positioned to help it scan accurately. Other than the scan range, you should ensure the barcode is printed in the right mil size and dpi to help the scanner work optimally.
Retro-reflective material- this is only needed when you’re dealing with long-distance barcode reading. This material provides a higher depth of field, enabling the scanner to scan any laser beams that are reflected back to it.
What is your environment:
The environment in which the barcode scanner will be used also plays a role in its functionality.
What level of durability do you expect from the barcode scanner? Is the scanner likely to get damaged by external elements? Or will it be used in a grocery store?
The good thing about scanners used in retail store is that they’re not exposed to any fall accidents. They may fall on the counter sometimes, but this is just a short distance, which cannot cause any significant damage.
Shipping and receiving, warehouse or stockroom:
For such applications, you may need a more heavy-duty barcode scanner, capable of withstanding constant drops on concrete and hard surfaces. Advisably, you should go for industrial barcode scanners as they’re designed to provide optimal durability, especially in harsh settings. Also known as rugged scanners, these devices are slightly pricier than ordinary scanners. However, they are more economical in the long-term since their sturdy design saves you from multiple repair and maintenance expenses.
When buying an inventory scanner, assess the setting where it will be used. Do the workers move about often or are they stationed at one point when scanning the barcodes? Remember than the barcode scanner has to be linked to a software on a computer or base station to transmit data. Ideally, it can be connected wirelessly or via tethered technology.
Tethered- Corded scanners are sometimes referred to as “tethered”. To put it simply, it means that the scanner is connected to a PC or base. However, it’s easy to use as all the user has to do is plug the device into the PC. And the good thing is that most scanners come with a ton of different ports ranging from parallel to the RS-485 and the keyboard wedge.
Bluetooth- with this form of connectivity, the scanner is paired to a laptop, tablet or base unit. This eliminates the need for additional hardware and software for the connection process. In fact, using Bluetooth barcode scanners has been proven to increase efficiency and productivity significantly. On the flipside, Bluetooth connection has a limited range as it can only operate up to about ten meters. However, this range differs depending on the conditions in your current environment.
Nearly every business utilizes barcodes for a variety of reasons. Whether you want to keep tabs on the company equipment or own a warehouse, whereby you have to keep count of tons of items, a barcode scanner makes it easy to record and tabulate the date of all your items.
TaoTronics Handheld Scanner
Cataloging a huge amount of data efficiently and quickly requires one to have high-performance scanners that work accurately. TaoTronics TT-BS003 scanner appears to be one of these models on the market nowadays. With an affordable price tag and an impressive set of features, the scanner will certainly transform the way in which you capture/manage data. This handheld scanner features an ergonomic design and it can be used easily for many applications in huge stores including the supermarket.
The durable construction designs along with the high customization level are great attributes for all great barcode scanners. Another important aspect of this model is its convenience when in use because it does not require prior installation. All you have to do is plug the model unto the nearest laptop or computer and then start scanning right away.
- Auto sensing technology: Real auto-sensing function can release your hand, Wave barcodes under Scanner, scanning light turns on to scan automatically. (A adjustable stand is included)
- Ergonomic design: made of High quality ABS plastic, tested by 1. 5M drop. Equipped with hands-free and flexible Scanner stand for easy assembly without additional setup
- Widely decode ability: UPC/UCC/EAN 128/Code 39/Code 39 full ASCII/Tryptic Code 39/Code 128/Code 128 full ASCII/coda bar/interleaved 2 of 5/discrete 2 of 5/Code 93/MSI/Code 11/RSS variants/Chinese 2 of 5/180 configurable options for prefix, suffix and termination strings
- Plug and play: no need software, easy to play your laser scanner. Ergonomic design with high quality ABS plastic; hands-free flex stand included
- Widely compatible ability: work with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. And perfectly running QuickBooks, word, Excel, Novell, and all common software
- Works with Linux, Windows, and Mac
- Simple installation using any USB port
TaoTronics 2.4G Barcodes Scanner
This barcode scanner is a brand of the TaoTronics that is a popular manufacturer of these types of scanners. The TaoTronic is the first choice for over 1.3 million Amazon customers. It is quite expensive but comes with a good functionality like its sturdy construction, Bluetooth, fast 32-bit decoder. If you are in need of some seamless connections with your tablets, smartphones, or any other compatible device, this your best choice.
Any warehouse, business operation, or office can greatly benefit from the freedom that comes with this type of connectivity. This barcode scanner has a good communication range. This model can go up to 30 to 50 meters of effective communication, 180 configurable options for prefix, suffix, and termination strings.
- 【2.4G wireless and USB wired connection】 simple installation mini USB receiver and USB cable, flexible switching between wired and wireless mode (wireless transmission distance of up to 164ft in an unobstructed environment.)
- 【Diy your bar code】 the barcode customization function makes TaoTronics barcode scanner flexible like a computer keyboard, allowing you to freely add the unique characters you want anywhere in the barcode. Contact us to customize a unique setup code.
- 【Fast accurate reading speed】 with 32bit CPU, decoding ability with up to 200/sec. Built-in instant UPLOAD mode and storage mode. Scan and store barcodes and then update the data to your device.
- 【System compatibility】 Works with Mac OS, Windows( Win10 Win7 Win8.1), Linux etc. Upload barcodes straight to excel/Word or your own in-house software, such as Novell, quick Book, inflow etc.
- 【Excellent reading range】upc/EAN, UPC/EAN with supplemental, UCC/EAN 128, Code 39, Code 39 Full ASCII, trioptic code 39, Code 128 Full ASCII, codabar, interleaved 2 of 5 etc.
- 100 hertz
- Easy Scanning
- Wireless and USB connectivity
TEEMI Bluetooth 3.0 Barcode Scanner
TEEMI has the big battery, rugged anti-shock designs, new UPGRADED 2 in 1 1d Laser USB 2.0 wired + Wireless Bluetooth Barcode Scanner for iPhone iPad Android Tablet PC, Support Mac OS X, Android, Windows 10, and IOS 11. They come up with an amazing scanner which appears almost too good at such a low price point. However, you can be assured because the scanner is indeed as good as the manufacturer says in advertisements. The barcode scanner provides both wired and wireless modes of operation.
This will enable you to enjoy freedom from the wires and more reliable wired connections however you like. In terms of compatibility, this scanner works well with computers, smartphones, and tablets. It does not matter the type of OS that your device has.
- 【Easy Connection and Longer transfer Distance】 Password-free Connection without scanning any pairing barcodes, just search and connect; the max transfer distance extends from 32ft to 196ft
- 【Free your hand】 You can activate Automatic scanning mode for quick scanning without pressing the trigger
- 【2-in-One Connection】Wired and Bluetooth Connection. It supports Windows, Mac OS, and Linux; works with QuickBooks, Word, Excel, Novell; and almost all common software. It can be widely used in supermarkets, shopping malls, cosmetic stores, retail industry, postal industry, logistics, banks and medical institutions.
- 【Inventory mode】It can save the scanned data in the memory and upload in batch. If the scanner is out of bluetooth range under instant upload mode, the scanner will automatically save the scanned data and then transmit when it reconnects to the receiver automatically.
- 【Strong Recognition Ability and Durable Design】It reads various types of 1D barcode like UPC, EAN, Codebar, Code 39, Fedex, UPS, USPS Tracking number, VIN numbers. For screen and 2D codes, please kindly go for TMSL-55 or TMSL-56 scanner.
- No worry the data loss
- Two ways of connection
- Compatible Operating Systems
- A bit difficult to install for the first time
Symbol Barcodes Scanner
The Symbol LS2208 is the solution to your barcode scanning desires. This model is reliable and it scans data faster without any hassle. It has an ergonomic design and its light in weight. It’s the best model for those looking for a very premium model. The Symbol LS2208 is made in such a way that it can be used daily but it still lasts long. This is the most advantageous thing about the model. This unit can significantly minimize your repair costs and downtime. The main factor that contributes heavily to this barcode scanner’s reliability is its long-lasting construction. Because of its patented and single-board construction, its tempered exit window made of glass resists scratches.
It has a frictionless liquid polymer that serves as a scan element. This scanner has the ability to offer daily operations without breaking down. The Symbol LS2208 gives very accurate scanning and always ready for its next task. It has the shorten check-out lines potential, which improves its productivity and the overall customer service.
- Single-line scan pattern
- Depth field of 17 inches on the EAN and UPC barcodes
- Not long-lasting enough
Inateck Bluetooth Barcode Scanner
With an operating distance of up to 35 meters and a battery life that allows for 15 days of continuous use, the Inateck BCST-70 is a true workhorse. Its 2.4-GHz wireless functionality allows it to work with virtually any system.
- Easy to Deploy: Out of the box. Connection completes in 3 seconds. Supports English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish keyboard. Compatible with POS, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Raspberry Pi etc.
- Strong Recognition Ability: Can read various types of 1D barcode. Supports lightning scanning and upload of blurry or broken barcodes under strong and dim light.
- Prolonged Battery Life and Connection Distance: Full charge allows 15 continuous working days. Less downtime, no shift interruptions. Connection distance reaches above 35 meters.
- Built to Last: External TPU protective case is 2 times as thick as similar products. Triple consolidation treatment is made for internal core parts. Withstands repeated 6ft. (1.8m) drops to concrete floor.
- Special Functions: Editable prefix or suffix reaches 32 digits. Capable of hiding part of a barcode . You can also contact us to customize the product to suit your specific need. For more information, please refer to Product Description.
- Four scanning modes
- Supports 5 keyboard languages
The above barcode scanners are incorporated with advanced technology. This technology has made these barcode scanners that are necessary for many businesses to be very easy to use. Unlike the traditional models, you do not need several decoder boxes and cables. There are several options and various barcode scanners that are designed with amazing features and very special functions that you can choose from.
This Best Barcode Scanner Review Guide For 2022-2023 has tried to make work easy for you by doing intense research that helps you get affordable and quality barcode scanners. Picking the best barcode scanner can be a big challenge to those unfamiliar with these barcode scanners. But by the use of this Best Barcode Scanner Review Guide For 2022-2023, you can save a lot of your time.