Best Airbrush Compressors Review Guide For This Year
Best Airbrush Compressors Review Guide For This Year – Many serious hobbyists use an airbrush. It’s much easier to keep the paint flowing smoothly when you have a good-quality air compressor to help get the job done.
If you’ve already purchased an airbrush kit, you might be looking to upgrade your compressor for more consistent airflow and precise control over air pressure.
Airbrush is a perfect tool to paint various medium like paint, dyes, inks and makeup on any canvas or surface.
It provides more finesse finish than normal spray painting. But airbrush alone is not capable of completing large tasks.
To complete tasks at bigger volume, airbrush compressor is an appropriate addition – as it provides continuous air supply for extended air brushing.
A regular air compressor won’t give you the results you seek, so you need a specialized unit made specifically for supplying your airbrush with air. There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to airbrush compressors.
By choosing a reliable, proven compressor, you can make your project that much easier to complete. To find out even more keep reading our Best Airbrush Compressors Review Guide For This Year.
Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit
We have yet another airbrush compressor model of Master Airbrush in this article. And just like the previous one, this is also a multipurpose kit. This product comes with all the necessary equipment that you need for airbrushing.
It is in the 3rd position in this article as you get a great airbrush called Airbrush G22 with it. Airbrush G22 is a high-performance quality product that comes with a 1/3 oz. Gravity fluid cup and a 0.3 mm fluid tip.
The compressor itself comes with a 1/5 horsepower air Compressor with air filtration and regulation system. You also get an easy to use carry handle, 6’ braided air hose, 1/5 single piston.
A great thing about this airbrush compressor is that it comes with a 5 year warranty. In other words, it is one of the most reliable and durable options out there. The affordable price of this compressor makes it an excellent value for money option.
- One Model G22 0.3mm Fluid tip head
- TC- 20 Compressor with 1/5 single piston
- The Compressor operates at 59DB.
- 0-59 PSI Adjustment
- Automatic intelligence
- One year warranty
- A comprehensive booklet for the users
- Compressor mounted airbrush holder
- Air filter water tap
- Pressure regulator
- 6 feet Air hoes
- Professional Master Airbrush Airbrushing System with A Model G22 Multi-Purpose High Performance Precision Airbrush with A 1/3 Oz. Gravity Fluid Cup and A 0.3Mm Fluid Tip.
- Premium Master Airbrush High Performance 1/5 Hp Air Compressor with Air Filter Water Trap with Pressure Regulator Along with An Airbrush Holder For 2 Airbrushes.
- Includes Master Airbrushes Best Selling User Friendly and Versatile Gravity Feed Airbrush That’S Commonly Used For: Hobbies, Crafts, Auto Graphics, Temporary Tattoos, Cake Decorating, Fine Art, Nail Art and More!
- Great Starter Airbrush Kit For Beginners and Students, As Well As For Advanced Artists Since It Works Excellent For Most Airbrushing Applications and Also with Most Types of Paint Spray Media. Includes Bonus How-To-Airbrush Manual & Guide Booklet By Master Airbrush.
- Buy with Confidence, If you are not satisfied with this airbrush system at anytime within the First Year of Purchase Or The Compressor At Anytime within The Second Year of Purchase, We’ll Provide A Refund Or Replacement.
Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Compressor
Master AirbrushCool offers multiple airbrush compressor options. And the Runner II Dual Fan Air Compressor comes with various accessories and provides a compact package.
This airbrush compressor is in the 1st position in this article as it is very quiet with decent performance. It offers 0-57 PSI air pressure adjustment range.
You also get a total of 3 airbrushes and 6 primary acrylic paints included with this airbrush compressor. The 1/5hp single-piston compressor is more than enough for your airbrush painting needs.
It generates a minimum level of heat while running for an extensive period of time, because of both the two cooling fans. Furthermore, this product comes with Model G22, Model E91 and Model G25 three most successful Airbrushes of this company.
Even though the motor of this airbrush compressor is decently powerful, it does not get hot at all. This is possible as it has two inbuilt cooling fans, which ensure that the compressor does not heat up.
And the compressor, as well as the included accessories, offers a decent build quality. Furthermore, the company provides a warranty of five years.
- Dual Airbrush Holder
- Carry handle
- Two built-in cooling fans
- Pressure regulator with water trap filter
- Five-year warranty
- Airbrush resources center access card
- Airbrush quick start user guide
- Quick-release valve and plugs
- Airbrush holders
- Mixing cups and sticks
- Cleaning brushes and Cleaning pots
- Airbrush cleaner
- Double-sided color mixing wheel and guide
- Airbrush color chart and guide
- Professional Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System with 3 of Master Airbrushes best selling & user friendly airbrushes. Includes bonus Master Airbrush Quick Start Guide and Airbrush Resource Center access card.
- Master Airbrush Model TC-320 Cool Runner II superior performance powerful 1/5 hp single-piston compressor with two cooling fans that allow it to run much cooler for a longer continuous running time without overheating. Includes airbrush holder for 2 airbrushes.
- 3 Types of Master Airbrushes: Model G22 dual-action with a 1/3 oz. gravity feed fluid cup and 0.3mm tip, Model G25 dual-action with a 1/16 oz. gravity feed fluid cup and 0.2mm tip, plus a Model E91 single-action siphon feed with a 0.8mm tip and 2 – 3/4 oz. siphon bottles.
- U.S. Art Supply Primary Colors Water-Based Acrylic Airbrush Paint Kit (6 Colors in 1 oz. Bottles plus Reducer and Cleaner). 6 Opaque colors included: bright sapphire blue, grass green, bright yellow, bright red, deep black and white. Bonus double sided color mixing wheel and cleaning brush set.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Buy with confidence, if you’re not satisfied with these airbrushes at anytime within the first year of purchase or the compressor within the five years of purchase, we’ll provide a refund or replacement.
California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor
Product Description: California Air Tools is another great option if you are looking for airbrush compressors on Amazon. And the CAT-1P1060S is one of the largest air compressors in this review guide.
It comes with a large air tank of one gallon which allows you to use your airbrush for a long time at once. This product offers a motor 0.6 horsepower that generates a maximum airflow of 1.2 CMF.
And this airbrush compressor can generate an air pressure of up to 90 PSI on-demand air pressure. Alongside, it is noticeably silent, creates noise only 56 decibels.
Even though this airbrush compressor is quite large and powerful, it only weighs 29.5 lbs. And the oil-free pump results in very low maintenance for this airbrush compressor. It is made out of steel for optimum build quality.
- 0.6 Horsepower compressor, 1.2 horsepower Peak.
- One gallon still air tank
- 1.60 CFM – 40 PSI and 1.20 CFM – 90 PSI.
- Item weight 29 pounds
- One year limited warranty
- Full tank fill rate 50 seconds
- Recovery time 15 seconds
- One universal 1/4″ quick connector
- Two pressure control gauges
- Thermal Overload Protector
- 72-inch connection cord
- Air compressor and owner’s manual
- Ultra quiet only 56 Decibels
- Oil-Free pump for less maintenance & costs
- Lightweight for easy transporting – 29 lbs
- 1.0 gallon steel tank
- Powerful 0.6 HP (rated / running) – 1.20 CFM @ 90 PSI
COSSCCI Handheld Airbrush Kit, Portable Mini Air Compressor
Coming to the last airbrush compressor, we have a popular option from COSSCCI. And this compressor is quite different from all other options in this review guide.
It is a handheld, portable, and convenient airbrush and which comes with a charging cable. This combines the airbrush as well as the compressor unit into one. As a result, it is an excellent option for miniature work like food or ornament airbrush painting.
As for power, this airbrush compressor charges over USB and takes 30-50 minutes to charge fully. You can charge this device using any USB capable device like a car, laptop, or even with a phone charger while traveling.
Thus, the usability and the lower maintenance, hazard of this product make this product a must-have Airbrushing device for every type of airbrush artists.
- Dual action air brush connector
- USB compatible
- A charging cord
- All the needful attachments
- A manual
- SINGLE-ACTION AIRBRUSH: This mini compact air compressor comes with a single-action airbrush and a mini screwdriver. The integrated structure can be used directly even without an air hose. When you turn on the product, the airflow will be constant, if you wan to turn off the airflow, you can connect other brand Dual-action airbrush with the connector in the package.
- PORTABLE MULTIFUNCTION: A one-handed rechargeable air brush painting kits and air pump can be placed in your backpack or pocket. Portable and sophisticated spray guns ideal for beginner, can be used for tattoos, art painting, cake decorating, make-up, nail, handicrafts, models, body paint etc.
- USB CHARGING: Just like a mobile phone, after a single charge, the airbrush gun can be used anywhere, even without a power supply. Fully charged, can be used for 30-50 minutes. With USB charging cable, you can use computer charging, charger charging, or power bank charging.
- NEW OPTIMIZED CIRCUIT: The portable air pump has been tested repeatedly, which not only optimizes the line, but also improves the service time of the air pump. The hand-held air pump design is curved and ergonomically designed to increase hand-held comfort. Simple and practical to operate + easy to use, after you have prepared the spray material, you can work by pressing the switch button easily.
- KIND NOTE: If there are any problem with our airbrush makeup kit or missing items, please email us for replacement before you return it. Note: air will be immediately come out once turn on, please adjust the tail screw then move the trigger backwards slightly to spray water or paint.
VivoHome Air Compressor and 3 Airbrush Kit
VivoHome Air Compressor VivoHome is a popular brand that specializes in developing a wide range of products related to gardening, sports, kitchen, and home lives. The brand works with a mission to help people improve their life qualities.
VivoHome’s professional airbrushing paint system is a multi-purpose machine with 3 different types of multi-purpose fluid tips.
The paint system is equipped with an airbrush holder that can hold two airbrushes. And using the 1/5HP air compressor along with the air filter water trap, the system is capable of delivering 23 to 25 l/min airflow and 0.8cfm air volume.
The airbrush compressor comes with multiple features that give you professional results along with providing ease of use.
With the 3 different detachable spray guns, you can achieve control and different degrees of spray for diverse applications. To ensure a safe working experience, the paint system is equipped with thermal protection and auto stop functions. The equipment works quietly with a noise level of just 47 dbs.
- 1/5 Horsepower Compressor
- Speed 1450/1700 RPM
- Thermal protection
- Auto stop function
- 23-25L/min airflow
- Quiet operation
- Oil maintenance-free
- 3 Fluid tips
- 3 Detachable spray guns
- 1/8 BSP Adapter
- MULTI-PURPOSE – A high-performance airbrushing machine with 3 kinds of multipurpose fluid tips; An intelligent solution for spraying, inflating, painting and other airbrush operations
- WELL-EQUIPPED – Comes with a compressor-mounted airbrush holder that can accommodate two airbrushes; 1/5HP air compressor with air filter water trap delivers 23-25L/min airflow and 0.8cfm air volume; It is light-weight, compact and easy to carry around with the handle; It can be put on desktop or placed under the worktable
- PROFESSIONAL EFFECTS – Unique, well-crafted equipment provides top-notch painting performance; This airbrush system runs with continuous, powerful pressure and is designed to turn off automatically if the motor is close to overheating; Precise adjustment of airflow is provided to ensure clean and dry air
- STABLE PERFORMANCE – Secured by a classic piston framework, the pressures are steady and sufficient, designed to maintain a stable air output level; It is low-noise at 47-dB and oil-free
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS – This airbrush covers a wide range of uses, from commercial art, temporary tattoos, sunless tanning, cake decoration, cosmetics, costume make-up, crafts, illustrations, retouches, and any other airbrushing activities
ZENY Pro 1/5 HP Airbrush Air Compressor Airbrushing Kit
Zeny Pro is another excellent option if you are looking for budget airbrush compressors. As a result, you can expect decent power from this compressor for painting using an airbrush.
This Zeny Pro can reach an air pressure of up to 57 PSI with its 1/5 Horsepower compressor motor. And it can do this without getting too loud since it has a noise level of just 59 dB. As a result, using this silent airbrush compressor is quite easy as it is also quite compact. It has PSI range of 0-57 PSI.
The massive 3 liters air tank allows you to use this compressor for a long time for airbrushing. You can also adjust the airflow and its dryness using the various gauges offered by this compressor. And a great thing about it is that it provides a 1 year warranty.
- 1/5 Horse Power Compressor
- Speed 1450/1750 RPM
- Thermally protected automatically off/on
- On-demand PSI up to 95
- Air tank capacity 3 liter
- Oil maintenance-free
- One year warranty
- One 6 fit hoes
- Needful components
- More Powerful: At 1/5 Horsepower this unit delivers more Air Volume (CFM) and Air Pressure (PSI) than any airbrush demands. This compressor delivers smooth airflow due to the integral storage tank, and can keep up with any airbrush
- Portable & Compact: Light-weight, compact and easy to carry with the built in handle.Compact size,can be placed on the table top,or just under the workstation. Great for art,painting,crafting,cake decoration,costume make-up and tattoo
- Precise Air Adjustment: True diaphram pressure regulator with gauge and water trap filter that provides precise adjustment of airflow and will ensure clean, dry air
- Air-On-Demand: Designed to work only when you do, produces air on demand at the your regulated pressure. Thermally Protected: automatically turns itself off if the unit becomes over heated
- Maintenance Free: Oil-less piston motor. Low noise,only 47 db.The compressor is fairly quiet and comes up to pressure reasonably fast. Please use teflon type to wrap the thread of the fitting to prevent it from leaking air. The teflon type included.
Paasche D3000R 1/5 HP Compressor with Tank
Paasche Airbrush offers multiple airbrush compressors and other accessories on Amazon. The D3000R is one of the most popular and highest selling products of Paasche out there, which provides a compact design.
You get an oil-less 1/5 horsepower piston compressing unit in this airbrush compressor unit. It offers a maximum operating pressure range of 20-40 PSI, which could be sufficient for any moderate level of Airbrushing requirement.
And despite its power, this air compressor is very lightweight and generates a minimum level of noise during the runtime.
This compressor also provides the auto-shutoff feature to increase the energy efficiency and overall functionality. A moisture filter is there to prevent and protect this compressor from any moisture-related issues.
Another great thing about this airbrush compressor is that it offers an adapter for ⅛” BSP hoses for great compatibility. Furthermore, it has also been provided with a 4/4 gallon of air storage capacity. And the carrying handle offers a great feature for mobility.
- 1/5 Horsepower Piston compressor
- ¾ gallon air tank
- Auto turnoff
- Noise level 47DB
- One year company warranty
- ¼ ‘ NPT hoes filtration
- 1/8 BPS hoes adaptor
- Carry handle
- 1/5 HP piston compressor with tank
- Includes regulator with moisture trap
- Delivers 20-40 PSI depending on airbrush
- Quiet operation at 47 dbs
- Adapter for 1/8″BSP hoses
PointZero 1/5 HP Airbrush Compressor
Point zero is quite a popular airbrush compressor brands on Amazon. And we here with one of the cheapest options from Point Zero.
It is one of the only oil-less air pump that offers a powerful 1/5 horsepower. As a result, you can take any type of airbrushing project load. It offers an airflow rating of CFM 1.0 while being quite silent.
This airbrush compressor has a noise rating of 55 dB. You get a maximum air pressure of 58 PSI in this air compressor for airbrushing.
Additionally, the automatic restart feature of this air-compressor could offer airbrush artists a relief from the overheating issue of compressors alongside; this feature also helps you to save electricity. Since it is an oil-free pump, you can use it for food painting and other related applications.
- 1/5 horsepower tankless compressor
- Ultra-quiet compressor creates noise up to 55 dB only
- CE certified compressor
- No oil design air pump
- Automatic power mode
- Runs flawlessly up to 58 PSI
- Comes with 7 bonus airbrushing guides
- Six power cords of US-Standard 110-120 volt
- Quiet yet powerful: This 1/5 horsepower tankless airbrush compressor delivers excellent power with approximate air delivery of 1.0 CFM, with an advanced, precision-forged piston for very little noise (55 dB).
- Power-saving mode: Compressor features on-demand operation with preset, automatic turn on and turn off. It runs until pressure reaches approximately 58 psi, then cycles off until the pressure drops to 40 psi, when the unit restarts. This power-saving feature reduces motor wear while maintaining enough pressure to operate most airbrushes.
- Oil-less design: Oil-less design makes this compressor suitable for food decorating and body/nail art along with all other standard airbrushing applications
- Smooth, precise air output: A sensitive pressure regulator with integrated gauge and water-trap allows precise adjustment and control of airflow to deliver clean, dry air
- Includes 7 bonus airbrush guides: As a bonus, includes access to 7 exclusive e-book guides: Top 8 Cake Airbrushing Tips, Guide to Airbrush Cake Decorating, Developing Basic Artistic Skills, 10 Essential Airbrushing Tips, Airbrushing Strokes and Techniques, Airbrush Cleaning Manual, and the Airbrush Lettering Guide
No-Name Quiet Compressor for Airbrush with Air Tank Model Tooty
No-Name Quiet CompressorNo-Name is a relatively small brand. Nevertheless it makes some of the highly efficient superior performance airbrush compressors that are ideal for hobbyists as well as professionals.
This quiet compressor comes with a 3 liter air tank and a 1/6 HP motor for optimal work with airbrushes of up to 0.7mm nozzle size.
Besides, the compressor is equipped with a filter to provide consistent airflow and prevent pulsations. Like most other airbrush compressors on our list, this also follows an oil-free design with any maintenance.
The compressor undergoes a rigorous testing and inspection process before being dispatched to ensure effective operation. The compressor supports a pressure range of 0 to 100 PSI that is suitable for a wide range of applications including commercial spraying, nail studios, cosmetics, illustrations, and hobby modelling.
The equipment operates quietly with a noise level of just 47 DBs. It comes with auto start as well as auto shutoff functions to allow ease of use. No-Name backs this airbrush compressor with a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.
- 1/6 HP induction motor
- 0 to 100 PSI range
- 3 liters air tank capacity
- Supports airbrushes up to 0.7mm nozzle size
- Pulse-free output
- Auto start and auto shutoff functions
- Quiet operation with 47 DBs
- Oil-free design
- Comes with 1 year warranty period
- Air hose with 1/8 inches connector
- 6 feet power cable
- User manual
- 3 Liter air tank with 1/6 HP motor for quiet and continues work with any airbrush up to 0.7mm nozzle size!
- New product to Amazon – check our awesome reviews on YouTube
- 1 year warranty. Service center in Florida with a team of airbrush enthusiasts.
- SprayGunner specialize in airbrushes and paint spray equipment. Will help with any questions!
- BONUS: braided air hose with 1/8″ connector (fits most airbrushes on the market) included!
Iwata-Medea Studio Series Power Jet Pro Double Piston Air Compressor
Iwata is one of the most popular and trusted Airbrush Compressor manufacturers. While it offers a huge variety of compressors, we are here with one of the most premium options offered by Iwata.
The Iwata airbrush compressor is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is a high-performance option. And even then, it offers excellent power efficiency.
The oil-less piston of this Airbrush Compressor makes it an excellent option for many users and the 1/6 HP Induction Motor offers a 1-70 PSI pressuring capacity. You also get a capacity of ½ gallon in this compressor which is sufficient for airbrushing.
It also offers excellent build quality, which is expected at the given price. You get twin pressure gauges on the side of this compressor along with moisture filters. And all of these things make it one of the best options for airbrushing.
- 1/6 HP Induction Motor
- 1 to 70 PSI Maximum pressure
- 2 liter Air Storage Capacity
- Dual regulator for pressure adjustment
- Built-in Airbrush holders
- Moisture Filter
- Automatic shutdown system
- Air on-demand capacity
- Lesser running time
- Noticeably quiet
- Heat reduction technology
- Needful adapters
- ¼ BSP with 3M house
- Power cord
- 1/6 hp 1-70 PSI maximum pressure
- 2 litre (1/2 gallon) air storage tank
- Twin air regulators for precise air-pressure adjustment with quick disconnects
- Built-in airbrush holders
- Mounted twin pressure gauges with moisture filters
Iwata-Medea Studio Series Sprint Jet Single Piston Air Compressor
We have yet another option from Iwata in this article, which is quite a premium option like the last one. But this one is much more affordable but still offers excellent performance.
Despite having the entire semi-pro features this Air Compressor of Iwata, the IS800 is very lightweight about 8.65 pounds only and entirely noise performance-optimized. It offers a maximum air pressure of 35 PSI, which is quite useful for its given size.
You also get an air pressure gauge on top along with a bleed valve for airflow adjustment as per your requirement. The inbuilt moisture filter prevents pulsation while using this airbrush compressor for painting.
- Up to 35 PSI Air pressure
- Only 8.65 Pounds
- Air pressure gauge
- All the necessary components
- The manual and guide
- 1-35 PSI maximum operating pressure
- Mounted air-pressure gauge
- Moisture filter prevents pulsation
- Bleed valve airflow adjustment to lower air pressure
- On/off switch
Timbertech Upgraded Airbrush Mini Compressor
Timbertech Upgraded Airbrush Mini CompressorNext product on our list is from the brand Timbertech which is known for providing high-quality products.
Their mini compressor is suitable for nail arts, designers, cake decorators, modelers, artists, spray tanning and other airbrush applications.
It is compact and portable, so you can carry it anywhere you want without any issues. It has an airflow of 20 to 23 liters per minute which is suitable for handling most of the projects. It also has a 3.0-liter receiver tank which ensures pulse-free output every time.
This air compressor comes with a cool-down fan which reduces the temperature and maintain the product longevity. For safety purposes, this air compressor is equipped with air filter, water trap, overheat protector and pressure relief safety valve.
- 3liters water tank
- Pressure regulation
- Adjustable output air pressure
- Overheat protector
- Pressure relief safety valve
- Compact and portable
- Cool-down fan
- Rubber feet
- Pressure regulator
- User manual
- Cool-Down Fan to reduce the air compressor temperature and extend the lifetime
- Compact, portable and quiet (47db)-can be used unobtrusively in the home, maintenance free oil-less piston,built in carry handle-light and easy to transport
- Receiver tank-ensures pulse free output with constant air flow 20-23L/Min, and takes some stops between two refilled session for more long lifespan
- Industrial type Pressure regulator with gauge, water trap and air filter,Pressure relief safety valve, Overheat protector
- Ideal for designers, modellers, artists, cake decorators, nail art, spray tanning and any other airbrush application
Best Airbrush Compressors Buying Guide For This Year
Buying Guide For Air Brush Compressor
Compressor is one of the main components of the air brush. In order to get effective results, you need an air brush with prime compressor. Without proper knowledge, it is difficult to know which air brush compressor is suitable for your needs. Below, we have provided a detail information that helps you choose the right one.
Types of Air Brush Compressors:
There are two types of air brush compressors that include Diaphragm and piston compressor. A detail information is provided below to help you choose the right one according to your requirements.
They are often referred as beginner compressors. These models come with a pulsating membrane that will compress the air. These compressors deliver air pressure that can reach max of 40psi. They can be perfect if you are using single air brush. You can use them to spray on small plastic models.
They don’t come with air tank. As they run continuously, diaphragm compressors are noisy. You should never use them continuously for a longer period of time as they get overheated, leading to damage.
It uses either one or two types of pistons for compressing air. Compared to diaphragm compressors, they can compress large amounts of air. As it comes with multiple pistons, they can run more air brushes at one. As they produce more air, they come with an air tank.
Compared to their counterpart, piston compressors are more effective and powerful. It is very easy to attach or detach the air brushes and it can run continuously for more time than diaphragm compressor. Even when providing peak performance, it will never overheat. So, lifespan of compressor is also longer.
Air regulator has to be connected with compressor to restrict or control the air pressure, even before it reaches the air hose. The regulators are usually equipped with moisture trap which filters out particles as well as fluids.
When it comes to air brush piston compressors, there are two types – oil filled and oil-less pistons.
- Oil Filled Pistons – They are quiet as oil will act as lubricant. If you don’t like noisy machines, then this is perfect. They are suitable for fine and illustrating art as they let you stay concentrated. The noise generated by these machines is much similar to that of refrigerators. An oil filters has to be placed between filter and air hose in order to prevent any oil going through air brush and get mixed up with paint. They require a bit of maintenance as they have to be checked or replaced once in a while.
- Oil-closed Pistons – Though it is a bit noisy than oil-filled piston compressors, they are still much less noisy than diaphragm compressors. Main benefits of these compressor is that their maintenance is pretty much very low. They are perfect for body art, nail painting, and cake decorating.
- How to Choose an Air Brush Compressor?
- To find the best air brush compressors, you have to consider certain factors. We have mentioned them below for your reference.
It is very important to choose an air brush compressor based on your application type. for example, if you have to paint large areas, then compressor with tank is better choice. With this option, you can pain consistently without interruptions for a long time.
When the tank is full, the motor will rest by turning itself off. If you choose a small tank-less compressor and 0.6mm nozzle for such heavy tasks, then it may not deliver regular air flow that is crucial to complete the task.
For small areas, body paint, nails, spraying cars or even spraying food color, compressor with no tank is sufficient.
A portable compressor that is capable of delivering low air pressure is perfect. Compressors without tanks are also perfect for fine art and drawing as you may have to start and stop as required.
To spray on textile T-shirts, you require a compressor which delivers at least 40psi and equipped tank. When you are choosing compressor for large projects, make sure the check to purchase a bigger tank.
A compressor tank is responsible for eliminating any cools and pulsing the air in order to increase the efficiency of the moisture separator. Most of the small compressors don’t come with tank.
However, few models do have a tank with capacity between 0,4l – 1l – 4l – 6l – 9l – 12l – 15l and if used with an airbrush it can go up to 25l. If you can afford, we recommend to go for a compressor with tank. Airbrush compressor capacity can determine the amount of power it can hold and run time as well.
Thread Output or Motor:
1/4 “ is the ideal output thread for tank based compressors. 1/8 “ is suitable for small dry piston compressor. Size of compressor’s electric motor may vary between brands.
But most of the compressors use 1/6th horse power motor. As per American voltage, most of the compressors will provide max pressure without getting overheated.
It is determined by the amount of air delivered by the compressor. The measurement is represented in CFM (cubic feet per minute) or liter per minute (LPM). Most of the compressors have air flow capacity between 20 and 50 LPM. In other words, 0.70 to 1.76CFM.
For illustrators or hobby artists, compressor with 20lpm or 0.70CFM is the right choice. They are also suitable for applications like nail, makeup and body. To complete large jobs, we recommend to choose a compressor with 30lpm.
It represents the air pressure of the compressor, usually in PSI (pound per inch). It is better to purchase a compressor that will provide required amount of air pressure necessary for your application.
For example, air pressured for spraying a t-shirt may require more amount of pressure than spraying on body or nail.
Compressors are usually rated in terms of CFM. You should carefully check out the CFM rating when comparing the compressors.
40 PSI rating will have higher value than 100 or 175 PSI. The most important thing to remember while checking out is delivered CFM at same pressure.
There is no best pressure option because ideal one usually depends on the project. If you were airbrushing a car, you may require high pressure like 80 to 100psi to complete the job quickly.
It is determined by the amount of time the compressor will run before the motor has to be stopped. It will let you avoid any damage and improve the life.
If the duty cycle of compressor is 50%, then you have to run it for 30 minutes and rest it for another 30 minutes to cool down. Make sure to look at the duty cycle and air flow capacity you require.
To know how much air flow capacity is required, below is the basic formula.
Total Air Volume Required x 1 / (duty cycle) = Compressor CFM required
Duty cycle is generally give in percentage form which means compressor engine will run for at that particular percentage, every hour of usage. Make sure to keep up with the compressor to improve its life capacity. Below are some examples…
- 50% duty cycle = 30 minutes run time per hour
- 25% duty cycle = 15 minutes run time per hour
- 9% duty cycle = 5 minutes on and 55 minutes cool down time per hour
- 10% duty cycle = 6 minutes on and 54 minutes cool down time per hour
- 15% duty cycle = 9 minutes on and 51 minutes cool down time per hour
- 20% duty cycle = 12 minutes on and 48 minutes cool down time per hour
It allows you to pre-set the compressor to stop functioning at specific air pressure. Once the air pressure is below the specific pressure value, it will re-start again. It is a nice feature to have as it will reduce the compressor running time and also the motor wear.
It is better to have a long hose so that you can reach all the areas to paint without any interruptions. 4 feet long hose is suitable for adjustments on canvas and other small to medium works like decorating food, makeup and others.
For full range coverage like spraying car, you may need 10 feet long hose. Make sure to purchase a compressor that comes with a hose that matches the project you are handling.
Check out the power output of air brush compressor to determine the control, runtime and for what works it can be used. 150 to 200 watts is the average amount of power used by an air brush compressor. Higher the power, expensive the product is.
When you are working on art project at home or something at a place where it will be surrounded by people, then noise level is an important factor to consider. Usually, air brush compressors are pretty noisy. It actually depends on how much pressure is applied by it.
Noise levels are usually measured in decibels. Quite air brush compressors can deliver 55 to 60 decibels. Air brush compressors are more expensive than the models that make noise. So, choose carefully based on your requirements.
Size and Weight:
Usually, air brush compressors weigh over 10 pounds with additional weight of attachment, wheels and carry handle. Some models are heavier and can be difficult to move around. So, they can be stored in art studios and garages. Portable and light-weight ones are perfect for beginners.
You should check out for a model that comes at good price and still capable of handling all the tasks. Bonus accessories are always beneficial to have.
As mentioned earlier, an airbrush compressor is a machine with motors and pumps. Due to this, it can develop issues over time if you are using an unreliable airbrush compressor.
Thus, you should consider buying an airbrush compressor from reliable brands that offer durable products along with a decent warranty policy.
Warranty and Durability:
These are the main factors what help you decide which models is best to invest on. Consider purchasing a model that comes with at least 1 or 2 years of warranty. Longer the period, better the product. Also make sure the model you choose is made up of high quality materials.
Some other important feature to look out for are in-built fan to cool down the high-powered working engine, a kit option, thermal protected engine components to decrease the overall heat, carry handle and rubber feet.
Since you will be using your airbrush compressor for painting using an airbrush, a lot of airbrush compressor units include various accessories. And this includes things like airbrushes, paints, connecting pipes, and much more.
While you can buy these accessories separately, having them included with your airbrush compressor is quite convenient. It also makes the airbrush compressor a much better value for money option for your painting needs.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How to Connect Airbrush Hose to a Compressor?
A: In order to connect an air brush hose to an air brush compressor, you require an adapter. Some air brush connectors come with their own adapters. However, in future you may have to purchase one at some point.
Luckily, there are easily available in several art or hardware stores. Before making the purchase, you should remember what type of adapter is suitable and what is the correct fitting. Wrong adapter is mostly likely lead to issues along with airbrushing pressure
Q: How much air pressure is required to operate an air brush?
A: You can easily operate an air brush as small as 1 psi. however, it may not be suitable for thicker mediums or sprays. Ideal pressure for any air brush is 10 psi or above as it will apply to your medium directly without any interruptions or spaces. It is also suitable for perfect fine art and specific lines.
Q: How to remove moisture trap on airbrush compressor?
A: While using an airbrush compressor, you will experience some issue, especially when pain gets mixed up with moisture. This common occurrence can lead to the pain from going as a smooth flow to bubbly mess. In order to solve this issue, you have to keep water away from paint, especially acrylic ones. This is even important when you are using it in a humid location because moisture levels are high in the environment.
Most of the air brush compressors come with moisture trap. However, if your model doesn’t come with it, then you may have to install it yourself. This can be easily done by opening the drain cock. If the moisture trap is already installed, then simply detach it.
Q: What is the way to Add Tank an Airbrush Compressor?
A: Adding a tank to airbrush compressor will increase its power and volume. You can add the tank to a compressor which doesn’t have one or add it existing tank to increase the volume. This simple process doesn’t require any professional assistance and can be easily done at home. Adding another tank to airbrush compressor is a great way to increase its efficiency without spending a lot on new additions.
However, you need right tools on hand to add new tank to your air brush compressor. Apart from additional tank, you will also require brass couplers, adhesive, and a compressor hose.
Before installing any additional tank or anything, we recommend to drain condensation and release the air present the airbrush compressor. This has to be done regularly to avoid any mold buildup.
While attaching the new tank, you have to do it through the valve. While adjusting the compressors, you have to make sure everything is connected and clean. Don’t hurry to complete the task, instead take some time at every step of the way.
Q: Is air brushing safe?
A: Using an air brush is completely safe but we recommend to avoid pointing it at people’s eyes. Paint will come out in a fine spray form which will not damage the skin or create an injury.
Most of the air brushes come with automatic stop function when it reaches overheating or dangerous pressure levels. Though auto-stop may halt the working progress, it is a safety measure to keep you and the airbrush safe.
The only danger to keep in mind while using an air brush compressor is risk of harmful chemicals from the paint, oil or ink. So, we recommend to wear a mask or respirator.
Q: How can an air brush be used?
A: Uses of an air brush are several like from makeup to decorating a cake. They can be used for landscaping and portraiture.
You can also use them for cars and living room wall designs. Sometimes, they can also be connected to computers to airbrush images directly off your computers. However, this process may require a lot of setup.
Q: What is the right way to clean the airbrush compressor?
A: Cleaning an air brush compressor most likely have two main parts – hose and air brush attachments. If it is metal based, then paint can rust or clot if it is not cleaned for a very long period of time.
Make sure to clean the fine brushes immediately after using them. It can be done using thin pick. Even thinner brushes can easily fit inside the airbrush. Applying water to picks and brushes may also seem a little easy to clean them but metal components may risk rust.
Few airbrushes can be broken down and opened up for a thorough cleaning. make sure to clean the maintenance tools as well.
Q: What type of pain should I use for airbrush?
A: Most of the people don’t use paint but if it is your preferred choice for coloring to paint your project, then we recommend to go with waterproof paints (for airbrushing decorations). Water colors can be a great choice for canvas and multiple variations as well.
Q: Is it possible to use different paint types through same brush?
A: Yes, it is possible to spray different paint types with same airbrush. However, make sure to clean the air brush in between. However, thick paints like oils are not usually applied using an airbrush. Because thicker medium clot and stick to insides of the brush.
You can use airbrushes for all kinds of art projects either as a hobby or for professional needs. But irrespective of your needs and art projects, you need an airbrush compressor in order to use an airbrush. This means that you have to check various things related to compressors before buying one for yourself.
Therefore, we have mentioned some of the best airbrush compressors in this article. You can also find a detailed buying guide along with the major features and options of each of the airbrush compressors present in this article. But if you are still not able to pick the best airbrush compressor for yourself, here are some of our recommendations:
If you want a small and compact airbrush compressor without paying a lot of money, then you can go with the COSSCCI Handheld Airbrush Kit. As per its name, it offers a unique design which allows you to easily airbrush without spending a lot of money.
On the other hand, the Master Airbrush Cool Runner II is one of the best options out there if you want a lot of accessories. It is a complete kit which includes everything that you will ever need for painting using an airbrush.
And it is a great value for money option since it offers so many things without costing a lot of money.
But if you do not have any budget restrictions, then the Iwata Medea Studio airbrush compressor can also be a great compressor. While this option is a bit on the expensive side, it is surely highly powerful. And you get a highly reliable and durable product for your money.
Now that you know all the ins and outs of airbrush compressors, you can pick the option that’s best for you. With that said thanks for taking the time to read our Best Airbrush Compressors Review Guide For This Year.